Best Hammond B3 VI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best Hammond B3 VI

Post by Prime Mover »

Too bad VB3:

A) is only 32bit
B) doesn't play nice with DP
C) has TERRIBLE amp emulation
D) has some weird global settings (many important settings can't be changed between different instances).

I found VB3 to be unusable. I know Guido is working on a new version, but he's been saying that for years now. I'll stick with B4II.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Prime Mover wrote:Too bad VB3:

A) is only 32bit
B) doesn't play nice with DP
C) has TERRIBLE amp emulation
D) has some weird global settings (many important settings can't be changed between different instances).

I found VB3 to be unusable. I know Guido is working on a new version, but he's been saying that for years now. I'll stick with B4II.
Use it in VE Pro and avoid the DP drama. This things just sounds real. I love it. It has character to it.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I just downloaded the VB3 demo last night and am running it without issues in DP 8.05 64-bit
(thanks to 32 Lives, which wraps 32-bit VI's so they will run as 64-bit).

I have to play around with it some more before making a call on buying it. I still have B4II running as a wrapped 64-bit VI in DP. If I lose that install for some reason it would be nice to
have an alternative organ available.

I have Vintage Organs but never liked it. It's just too "sampled" sounding. Plus, in the first release of VO most of the organs were several cents out of tune, NI fixed that but it didn't
help my initial impression.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
dado

Post by dado »

Just used yesterday my B4 II and it works on Mavericks
iMac 27" 3 ghz 32 Giga ram / DP 11 / Motu UltraLite mK4/ TLAudio Ivory 5051 / Addictive Drum2 / PRS Custom22 Guitar / Boss Katana100 / Line 6 Variax700 / Strat by Tino Tedesco
midilance

Post by midilance »

I've got both B4II and VB3 running, courtesy of 32 Lives, in DP.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As a side note, for anyone who owns the Hammond XK-1, XK-3c, or the new XK-1c, I personally ported a couple of dozen or so of what I considered the best patches from B4 II to each of those three hardware Virtual Organs (I just switched from XK-3c to XK-1c this week, so am now on my third generation of Virtual Organs from Hammond-Suzuki).

I have the XK-1 and XK-1c in SysEx format, and the XK-3c in ".SET" format. These overwrite all the patches, but the new XK-1c has an advantage in having a separate Factory Set from User Set (64 patches each, in eight banks of eight), and this time around the Factory Set is well-programmed and worth keeping.

Not sure if the SK-1 and SK-2 can read the SysEx from the XK-1c or not.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this, because one of the reasons people liked the B4 II was the patch list -- though many also preferred the original version of the plug-in.

I spent most of the day Sunday painstakingly reprogramming my custom patches on the XK-1c. It took almost twelve hours to program 64 patches in depth. I took the best from my own custom patches, B4 II, and the couple of dozen XK-3c/XK-1 presets that were worthy of preserving (especially the church organ patches) and weren't duplicated in the XK-1c Factory Set.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I just like B4II because it's the only thing that I can get to sit right in the mix. I found myself constantly fighting VB3, maybe even more than NI virtual organs. So much of it is the cab sims. With VB3, I'd start to turn up the drive and it made me want to kick a puppy. I guess if paired with a third party amp sim and Leslie I could learn to like VB3, but then I'd also have to deal with its bizarro global settings. B4II has the best built in amp and cab sims by far. And honestly, I haven't even really been all that find of using it with Amplitube sims. What can I say, maybe it's inauthentic, but I love being able to change the acceleration time of my rotary. I can't wait for Guido to finally finish the new version of VB3, it'll probably blow me away. But I just can't talk positively about the original, there was just something about it that didn't feel right.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

it's rediculass someone hasn't come out with an incredable B3 VI... 64 bit
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Considering that the best Leslie sim is $500 (Neo Instruments Ventilator II), it's no surprise no one has done a good one purely in software yet. Vent II is around the corner and I'll buy it as soon as available, but the Leslie in the new SK-series and XK-1c is very good and way more advanced than anything before it. Some people buy the Vent and run their software organ VI's through it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dado wrote:Just used yesterday my B4 II and it works on Mavericks
^ This! I think I posted earlier, but B4 II works fine in DP 8.05 and Mavericks with 32 Lives.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I got an email on this yesterday. I know it's samples, not modeling but I like many of the sounds that are in the demo. For $99, doesn't appear to be a bad buy.

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/retro-organs.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I got an email on this yesterday. I know it's samples, not modeling but I like many of the sounds that are in the demo. For $99, doesn't appear to be a bad buy.

Agreed. The demo sounds were pretty good. I wonder how many of them are buried somewhere in Mach Five?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mikehalloran wrote:I got an email on this yesterday. I know it's samples, not modeling but I like many of the sounds that are in the demo. For $99, doesn't appear to be a bad buy.

+1

They did a killer job on this. Very impressive. I'm in.
DP10.13
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

At least some of these are included with MOTU Electric Keys (which I already have, and which has excellent electric pianos and other instruments):

http://www.motu.com/products/software/e ... the-b.html

but it's hard to tell because EK uses generic names for its B3 patches, based on drawbar settings (like "828868447" -- which tells me very little about the patch).

One thing I like about a sampling approach is it is one of the best ways to get the true sound of the Leslie.

Babz
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Babz wrote:At least some of these are included with MOTU Electric Keys (which I already have, and which has excellent electric pianos and other instruments):

http://www.motu.com/products/software/e ... the-b.html

but it's hard to tell because EK uses generic names for its B3 patches, based on drawbar settings (like "828868447" -- which tells me very little about the patch).

One thing I like about a sampling approach is it is one of the best ways to get the true sound of the Leslie.

Babz
Disagree. That is essentially mic'ing the Leslie and recording snapshots - but at what position? You end up with static recordings of the Leslie, not the organ itself. That's a terrible
idea. Recording amps that the organ is plugged into is just as bad.

An amplifier/speaker reacts fluidly to its input. The greater the input, the more there is a
tonal, harmonic and inharmonic, and distortion change. You can't emulate that with a sample
of an amp or rotary speaker. You need to just record each drawbar of the organ directly, then
have at least a rotary speaker or amp emulator to feed the result into. It seems UVI does include D.I. samples in their product, but based on most of the demos, which are poorly
performed by people who are obviously not organists, it is difficult to tell how good the
D.I. samples are.

Emu put out a sampled organ module many years ago..the samples included slow Leslie and
fast Leslie recordings. When you pushed the mod wheel forward on your controller keyboard,
you essentially crossfaded from the slow to the fast Leslie samples, which introduced phase
cancellation at the "in between" point between the slow and fast samples. It really sounded
bad. If this is what UVI has done, and they don't include a rotary speaker emulation, then
that phase cancellation is going to happen with their product as well.

I've spent a few days with VB3 and I think I'm going to get it. Speaking as someone who
owned a Hammond B-2 and a Leslie, I think it's a really good emulation. Including the overdrive on the Leslie. As with many other products, don't go by the presets. With a bit
of tweaking you can get great sounds.

Btw, Guido (of GSI) isn't very good at posting updates on his website. His disclaimer about
DP refers to DP7, I believe.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com