Best Hammond B3 VI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best Hammond B3 VI

Post by Prime Mover »

Hey, I've been using the Native Instruments Vintage Organs plugin for a while, but something about it just isn't QUITE doing it for me. I switched to the C3 patch after I realized that the B3 was out of tune and the percussion was practically non-existant, and it's been better, but it still isn't quite right. I still find myself fudging with the drawbars, scrambling to get the right sound, sometimes mid-show, but it really doesn't have the immediate gratification that plugs like the Scarbee keys have for me. NI B4 is long in the past, and in the tooth, but I'm wondering what everyone has found to be the best Hammond VI, or whether there are things that one can do with Vintage Organs that have helped. Sorry for being non-specific, but I really can't pinpoint what exactly is bothering me. I think the percussion isn't loud/punchy enough. I'm not an organ man, but in trying out some of the common registries, they feel OK but not amazing.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Gravity Jim

Re: Best Hammond B3 VI

Post by Gravity Jim »

Funny you mention this: I was just wondering if NI B4 II would still run on my system (it's on the hard drive, it just stopped showing up in my Instrument Track list after a recent rebuild... I suppose if I just installed the component again, it would probably still work). I loved that thing to pieces, and you can really dial it in. I'm no good for comparisons, because I got everything I every wanted from B4, and so never tried another one.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

"Best" is a tough description. People might have a favorite, but everyone's tastes differ so much that one person's favorite might not be the best for someone else.

I know what you mean, though: the current NI organs miss some of the gravy that I liked so much about B4, but these are currently the "best" organs I have-- and that doesn't really help you very much.

I've been meaning to download the VB3 Demo to do some comparisons, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe the demo version might help you narrow down what you're missing from the NI organs.

The audio demos are really pretty decent, imho.

Otherwise, maybe there's some trick with adding a comp with a fast release just to push those percussion transients a little further forward. I've had to do something similar to get a little more "point" on timpani attacks when doing orchestral mock-ups without having the timp eat up the whole mix.

Just some thoughts.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

If you have the installer disc for NI's B4 II, or Komplete 5 (the last
version of Komplete that contained B4 II), you can install B4II on your
system if you're on Leopard or Snow Leopard. When you next launch the
Service Center you should see the B4II or Komplete 5 serial number displayed and you can activate it. Then run the Service Center again and download the last update for B4II which is 2.0.4.x.

I did run into a problem when I first installed B4II on my current system -
the Service Center didn't display it as a product that needed to be activated.
I shut down my Mac, powered up again, launched the Service Center again and
this time it found the serial number and I was able to activate.

B4II will run as a VI within DP. On my system it won't run as a standalone,
though...it can't find my audio interface. Not sure why, but at any rate I
don't use it as a standalone anyway.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Prime Mover wrote:Hey, I've been using the Native Instruments Vintage Organs plugin for a while, but something about it just isn't QUITE doing it for me.
I'm still using B4 II for organ everywhere. I have downloaded the VB3 demo and I find it just isn't quite as "present" or something. As far as I know, those are the only models of Hammonds around.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SixStringGeek wrote:I'm still using B4 II for organ everywhere. I have downloaded the VB3 demo and I find it just isn't quite as "present" or something. As far as I know, those are the only models of Hammonds around.
Frodo is right about this being a matter of individual preferences. When I hear the NI, I think, yes, I can tell that's supposed to be a B3, it'll do. When I hear the VB3, I get flood of old memories from a playing in a band that used a B3. You just have to try them out for yourself.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I have all of these organs, and mostly end up going to the VB3, just feels so much more playable. I recently had to do a remake of brain salad surgery, and the VB3 got me closest to emerson's organ, FWIW :-).

However, I have to use VB3 in Bidule, as it seems to still crash DP when I insert it directly.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Brain Salad Surgery... NOW I get the cat picture!
Little Known

Best Hammond B3 VI

Post by Little Known »

However, I have to use VB3 in Bidule, as it seems to still crash DP when I insert it directly.[/quote]

I leave the VB3 window open on order to keep it from crashing DP. It still hangs DP on quit/close of the project or DP

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.248790,-55.052722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

VB3 nuff said...

BUT since I would be interested in hearing any organ emulation played through Amplitube 3 EXCELLENT Leslie speaker emulation. I've been using it exclusively with my Hammond A-100 for 2 years now. Nobody ever complained...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I still own, love and use my old B4 II. It still works fine here, as does Pro-53 ... one of the many reasons I don't wanna upgrade to Lion.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you happen to have MachFive.2, there's a great Hammond model in it. Sliders and all. I don't know if I trust the future of MachFive at this point, but that's only because I haven't seen anything about it on the MOTU site for a long, long time. If they revise it soon, it may well be worth the money. I'm just pointing out the B-3 thing in case you already happen to have it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

Didn't they just come out with Mach Five |3? MOTU's home page is what Safari opens for me when I start it up. And an 896 mkIII!

Pappy
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Sadly, I jumped on the Komplete bandwagon with K7, so I don't have B4-II, and I don't have MachFive. VB3 sounds like an interesting thing to check out though, I haven't heard much about it.

UPDATE: Upon further inspection and inquiry, it looks like VB3 is a really good option. Looks like it is known to crash DP7 :( but I'm MOSTLY going to be using it live in Jambalaya (SixString, you heard of any problems with it?) I don't have Bidule, so I'll want to check out DP7s compatability. It would suck to have a great live sound that I can't use in the studio! (what a reversal!)
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Crashes are no small matter, but keep in mind that different systems crash for different reasons.

That said:
GSi Support FAQs wrote:Q: VB3 is crashing Digital Performer.

A: Yes, it's a known issue. VB3 for Mac has still some incompatibility issue with some versions of Digital Performer from MOTU. There are users that are using it without problems and others that are experiencing crashes with apparently no specific reason. For this reason, it's highly recommended to test drive VB3 before eventually purchasing a licence.
I'm not sure what versions of DP they mean or what system-specifics are at play in each case. Neither do I know how long ago that post was made.

More specifically.....

If nothing else, I thank those in the UK for their wonderful and hysterical colloquial phraseology:
21stcenturykid wrote:Shame its such an arse on!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If something akin to "all" or "the vast majority" of DP users experienced issues with VB3, it would cast a different light.

BUT... it would concern me greatly if DP were being unfairly singled out if VB3 for Mac itself led to the same results with other Mac-compatible DAW hosts.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52