Move tracks from one sequence to another?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bongo_john_uk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Move tracks from one sequence to another?

Post by bongo_john_uk »

I have 2 sequence chunks and wish to move some of the tracks from one sequence to the other.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks,
John
Mac Pro 12 core 3 GHz, Motu Ultralite, DP9.1, Mac OS X 10.10.5 64GB Ram.

http://limbicsounds.com
dpart
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Move tracks from one sequence to another?

Post by dpart »

You can just copy and paste the tracks - highlighting the tracks by selecting time range (this is better than just picking the tracks, since it copies the automation too, if memory servers me right), and then paste to the new sequence.

You can also possibly drag the tracks in the Chunks sidebar window from one sequence to the other. Not in front of DP at the moment.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I read this a couple of times, and realized we don't know one important detail:

Is this between two sequences (chunks) in the same project, or separate projects?

Be careful to double-check afterwards to make sure you actually made copies of the audio tracks in the new folder for the target project/sequence, as this sort of action is where many of us accidentally lose data later on when we delete or otherwise modify a source project not realizing the "moved" tracks are still being referenced in their old location.

As it's been awhile since I made this mistake, I can't remember which techniques specifically result in this outcome, so it's better just to do a sanity check afterwards regardless, which is my current policy.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mhschmieder wrote: As it's been awhile since I made this mistake, I can't remember which techniques specifically result in this outcome, so it's better just to do a sanity check afterwards regardless, which is my current policy.
I agree. One needs to be very careful with this. I think what you are referring to is that little preference that reads something like: "When importing, DUPLICATE all audio into this project".
Not the exact words, but must be something similar.

Setting this preference that way, you always know that, whatever you do, you won't have to worry about accidentally deleting material from other sessions.

Is that what you are talking about?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, probably it was that preference. I think it had a tendency to reset itself in certain versions, but not any time recently (DP 7 if not DP 6 onwards).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bongo_john_uk

Post by bongo_john_uk »

I imported a sequence from another project and copied all audio into new project.

When I try copy and paste, it says my tracks are not right in the other sequence. I actually wanted it to create new appropriate tracks, not attempt to copy it onto existing tracks which is what I guess it is attempting. The new tracks should end up parallel to the material already there. There are a lot of tracks of different types so don't want to have to create them manually. The sequences were both created for the same movie separately but I now want to "merge" all the tracks.

Does that make it clearer?

Thanks
Mac Pro 12 core 3 GHz, Motu Ultralite, DP9.1, Mac OS X 10.10.5 64GB Ram.

http://limbicsounds.com
dix

Post by dix »

As far as I know there is no easy way to do this in DP. ProTools has an "Import Tracks" feature that's really cool that I'd love DP to implement. It lets you import multiple or single tracks from another session, including their insert plugins, automation, takes and buss assignments etc.

The only way I'm aware of to "import tracks", including all associated assets, from another Chunk or Project in DP is to (first make a copy of the Chunk or Project) delete all the tracks from the Chunk that you DON'T want to bring to the new sequence and then drag that Chunk from the Chunks Window (using the little yellow tab) to the Tracks Window or the left side of Sequence Editor of the target sequence. If the Chunk is in another Project, you first have to Load the newly created import-chunk using "Load.." from the file menu. I think you could also create a Clipping with the import-chunk and drag that into the target sequence, but I haven't tried that.

…if there's a better way please let me know!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

dix wrote:
The only way I'm aware of to "import tracks", including all associated assets, from another Chunk or Project in DP is to (first make a copy of the Chunk or Project) delete all the tracks from the Chunk that you DON'T want to bring to the new sequence and then drag that Chunk from the Chunks Window (using the little yellow tab) to the Tracks Window or the left side of Sequence Editor of the target sequence. If the Chunk is in another Project, you first have to Load the newly created import-chunk using "Load.." from the file menu. I think you could also create a Clipping with the import-chunk and drag that into the target sequence, but I haven't tried that.

…if there's a better way please let me know!
SURE there is a MUCH better way: Clippings. Global and local. :headbang:

You can easily exchange tracks form different projects and from different chunks, back and forth, just like you mentioned.

Just be careful. It's easy to accidentally kill unintended audio files, especially if the source tracks are no longer part of any chunk (if you deleted the source tracks and only keep the Clippings).
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dix

Post by dix »

This sounds perfect. I didn't realize you could create a clipping of a track! I never noticed that option in the File menu before now! Thanks so much!
Last edited by dix on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

What I wrote above applies to any situation, but especially well for exchanging tracks between different projects.

The OP wants to MOVE tracks between different projects. I don't think you can move them, but if copy/paste (and create "an appropriate track" too ) tracks between chunks in the same project is an alternative, the easiest way to do it is this:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ly#p344313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dix

Post by dix »

To be clearer: To create a Clipping of one or more tracks, simply select all the data in the track(s) and choose 'Copy to Clipping Window' from the File menu (can't believe i never tried that!). This operation will copy the plugin, buss and automation info to the Clipping. Unfortunately it only appears to get the current Take. Am I missing something (again). Is there a way to create a Clipping that includes all the Takes in a track as well? …either way this is a very useful tip. thanks again FM!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

dix wrote:To be clearer: To create a Clipping of one or more tracks, simply select all the data in the track(s) and choose 'Copy to Clipping Window' from the File menu (can't believe i never tried that!). This operation will copy the plugin, buss and automation info to the Clipping. Unfortunately it only appears to get the current Take. Am I missing something (again). Is there a way to create a Clipping that includes all the Takes in a track as well? …either way this is a very useful tip. thanks again FM!
I'm afraid not :(
It would certainly be a very useful improvement if MOTU implemented that!

Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think track groups are not carried into the clipping either. I hope I'm wrong... otherwise, they are 2 good suggestions for MOTU!

Glad you found it useful :)

Tim

Post by Tim »

The only way to keep Groups and Takes in a Clipping is with a Sequence Chunk.

Delete all but the tracks wanted in the clipping (in a copy of the sequence), then drag the Chunk icon into the Clippings window. Then drag the sequence clipping into the left side of the Tracks or Sequence Edit window of the destination sequence.
Of course if the two sequences are in the same project file, bypass the clippings window and just drag from the Chunks window to the dest. seq.

BTW: Selecting tracks and choosing to create a new sequence from them will not copy takes or groups.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Tim wrote:The only way to keep Groups and Takes in a Clipping is with a Sequence Chunk.
You mean putting the WHOLE chunk in a clipping? I've never tried that. But I will now.

If that's what I need to do to keep the grouping in my clippings (and deleting unneeded tracks), then I will start doing them this way when possible.

I hope MOTU reads this and make it possible for us to make clippings from tracks and carry those track groupings into the clipping. This would save us THREE tedious steps.
Oh, and the possibility to get the FULL track contents (takes, if there are any) would be nice too.

In the mean time, I'll try Tim's suggestion next time.

Thanks for the tip, Tim :)

Tim

Post by Tim »

FMiguelez wrote:
You mean putting the WHOLE chunk in a clipping?
Yeah... but I make a duplicate of the source sequence first, then delete all the tracks that I don't want included in the clipping.

With 'Takes', one can first turn them into separate tracks (in the Take menu) then make a clipping of them, and after dragging into another sequence, turn them back into one track. But if there are a lot of tracks with multiple takes, this method might be more of a hassle than the Chunky one.

I don't think there's any other workaround for Groups though.