Move tracks from one sequence to another?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Move tracks from one sequence to another?

Post by Dan Worley »

I do this to merge live location recordings with studio recordings. It's extremely fast (like about a minute) once you know all the steps and the gottchas. I'm not sure I covered everything, but you'll get the idea.

Get the sequences loaded into the same project. Create a Song in the Chunks window, open it and drag the two (or however many) sequences (chunks) into it, one on top of the other.

If you have a Conductor track in either of the sequences, highlight that chunk and choose Copy Conductor Track from the Song's mini menu.

Highlight the two chunks in the Song window and then select "merge chunks to sequence" from the Song's mini menu. Now play enable that new sequence and open its Tracks window.

If you copied a Conductor track, set the tempo to Conductor track (I can't remember now, but I think it defaults to Tempo Slider at 120 bpm). If you didn't use a Conductor track, make sure to manually set the tempo slider to the correct tempo the sequences were recorded in as it defaults to 120 bpm and everything will be out of whack if you recorded at a different tempo. You'll see things shift into place once you do that. If tracks are not lining up, it's always, always, how the tempo is set.

If you have multiple takes in any of the tracks, break them out into separate tracks before adding them to the Song. Then later, if you want, you can select to have them adsorbed back into takes within the new sequence. Very cool.

Optional: Now you can Save As and duplicate the audio. Once that file is open, delete the other sequences from the Chunks window. Go to the soundbites window and choose select unused soundbites and delete them (but only if you did a Save As having duplicate audio checked on).

I love DP.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

If the OP wanted to move tracks between two chunks IN THE SAME PROJECT,
You select your material to be moved
Then there's a move to another sequence command. I think it's in the project menu/sequence.

Depending on where your cursor is, you can right click and choose the command from there.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Dwetmaster wrote:If the OP wanted to move tracks between two chunks IN THE SAME PROJECT,
You select your material to be moved
Then there's a move to another sequence command. I think it's in the project menu/sequence.

Depending on where your cursor is, you can right click and choose the command from there.
I don't think you can transfer tracks between sequences like that, you can only create a new sequence from selected tracks in one chunk.

Song chunks make it possible to combine the tracks of two or more sequences into one sequence/chunk.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Tim

Post by Tim »

A selection of track(s) data can be dragged from one seq to another, but I think the first occurring MIDI event will be placed at the very start of the destination seq., so make sure there's some data at the very start of the source seq (volume node, note, etc.).
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Tim wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:
You mean putting the WHOLE chunk in a clipping?
Yeah... but I make a duplicate of the source sequence first, then delete all the tracks that I don't want included in the clipping.

With 'Takes', one can first turn them into separate tracks (in the Take menu) then make a clipping of them, and after dragging into another sequence, turn them back into one track. But if there are a lot of tracks with multiple takes, this method might be more of a hassle than the Chunky one.

I don't think there's any other workaround for Groups though.
Just a note...
Maybe chunks - clippings don't work between different versions of DP too ?
A tracks clipping ( created from marked tracks in TO )
doesn't work between DP 7.22 and DP 4.61, at least not here

Take care

Klaus
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Klaus wrote:
Tim wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:
You mean putting the WHOLE chunk in a clipping?
Yeah... but I make a duplicate of the source sequence first, then delete all the tracks that I don't want included in the clipping.

With 'Takes', one can first turn them into separate tracks (in the Take menu) then make a clipping of them, and after dragging into another sequence, turn them back into one track. But if there are a lot of tracks with multiple takes, this method might be more of a hassle than the Chunky one.

I don't think there's any other workaround for Groups though.
Just a note...
Maybe chunks - clippings don't work between different versions of DP too ?
A tracks clipping ( created from marked tracks in TO )
doesn't work between DP 7.22 and DP 4.61, at least not here
I USED to have the exact same issue. Clippings I had made in 4.61 that contained CT data (markers or tempo changes) would make DP7.1 crash instantly.
But the 7.21 version fixed this problem for me. Now my old clippings work perfectly.

Are you having this problem, then? Does DP crash, or clippings simply won't work?
Maybe you should send MOTU a log (or post the relevant part here for us to see).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

It was clippings created in DP 7.22 would crash DP 4.61

Workaround : Save DP 7.22 project as DP 4.61, open in DP 4.61 and create clipping from there...
Clipping was 6 aux tracks and 1 master track
Best

Klaus
Tim

Post by Tim »

Klaus wrote:It was clippings created in DP 7.22 would crash DP 4.61
I would expect that to be the case, as DP's project files are not backward compatible.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Tim wrote:
Klaus wrote:It was clippings created in DP 7.22 would crash DP 4.61
I would expect that to be the case, as DP's project files are not backward compatible.
whoops, I jumped to short...

:mrgreen:

Thanks Tim

Klaus
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

FMiguelez wrote:
dix wrote:To be clearer: To create a Clipping of one or more tracks, simply select all the data in the track(s) and choose 'Copy to Clipping Window' from the File menu (can't believe i never tried that!). This operation will copy the plugin, buss and automation info to the Clipping. Unfortunately it only appears to get the current Take. Am I missing something (again). Is there a way to create a Clipping that includes all the Takes in a track as well? …either way this is a very useful tip. thanks again FM!
I'm afraid not :(
It would certainly be a very useful improvement if MOTU implemented that!

Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think track groups are not carried into the clipping either. I hope I'm wrong... otherwise, they are 2 good suggestions for MOTU!

Glad you found it useful :)
It is now almost 2016 and this is still a needed improvement. :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Only two weeks and we can have another update. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

This is an old thread, but, thank you, Tim. You really saved my skin.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Haven't read every post in the thread but would this help the OP's problem of moving tracks between chunks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJis83-PTY&t=4m47s

Drag chunk A into chunk B and then delete/clean up tracks. An extra step but easier than manually creating/duplicating track layouts and copying the soundbites I guess.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mwilloam wrote:Haven't read every post in the thread but would this help the OP's problem of moving tracks between chunks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJis83-PTY&t=4m47s

Drag chunk A into chunk B and then delete/clean up tracks. An extra step but easier than manually creating/duplicating track layouts and copying the soundbites I guess.
Good find! That IS a great way to transfer mix settings from one chunk to another, and I've used it often.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Scorer »

one thing I can report for all the solutions posted here in this thread is, that none of them honor folder structure...

if u try to copy MIDI tracks from one sequence to another - using any of the approaches here - it will destroy the folder structure the tracks are located in... MIDI tracks will be outside of the folders in the target sequence...

that is an annoying and time consuming side effect...

DP 9.x x64 on Windows