Can DP7 record multiple MIDI controllers easily? Logic user

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Romanp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Can DP7 record multiple MIDI controllers easily? Logic user

Post by Romanp »

I want to be able to record multiple MIDI instrument players on their own track easily.
I imagine being able to select the MIDI interface IN port on each track individually.

You can't do this in Logic Pro 7. Or maybe you can in a newer version that I haven't kept up to date with.

I was told years ago that you can do this in Digital Performer.
I want to use a MIDI sequencer in a very simple fashion. Mostly synced to an MPC playing drums and linearly recording MIDI keyboard sounds on top and audio tracks.

I started another thread on this forum which I just registered to today. It asks if it is possible to route MPC MIDI outs with the MOTU MTP AV while simultaneously sequencing MIDI instruments in a software sequencer. Both using the same MIDI interface.

I want to ba able to sequence my MIDI hardwae from my MPC and from the computer with the same MIDI interface at the same time.

The MPC will be the drummer. if your interested see my other thread where I describe the scenario in detail.

Peace.
Roman.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can DP7 record multiple MIDI controllers easily? Logic u

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yes, it can be done easily with "multi-record" and you can also multi record audio tracks at the same time as MIDI. It is simply a matter of checking a menu item that allows the program to enter that mode, and FWIW, you won't find a better MIDI or audio editor. IMO...

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/dp-7-2-wi ... d-for-2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

We have always been able to do this in DP, even when it was MIDI only.

20 years ago, I and another keyboardist, along with a drummer that had an electric/MIDI kit, would jam for hours while recording 20+ tracks of MIDI live into Performer. It was the only sequencer at that time that could do that, which is why I chose it.

When I first tried Logic and realized you couldn't do that, I was incredulous, so I tried to learn about "The Environment". Man, what a buzz-kill. I wanted to make music, not rocket science.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
dcoscina

Post by dcoscina »

It's a particularly powerful feature in DP. One of many.
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Not only can you record multiple MIDI controllers simultaneously (at least with USB, it's as simple as setting up your controllers to use different output channels in AudioMIDI Setup, then arming two or more tracks to record simultaneously in DP, set to different VIs or hardware instruments), but you can use at least two controllers simultaneously to record one MIDI track -- say, if you had a split patch on a keyboard with bass on the lower half and a piano on the upper, but wanted a piano feel for the piano half and synth action on the bass while laying down tracks. As for the former, it's a great way to record dual-manual in a VI like B4 II, where you're actually having to play two keyboards simultaneously, anyway.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

dcoscina wrote:It's a particularly powerful feature in DP. One of many.
TRuth in this post.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Romanp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Romanp »

How does recording multiple MIDI controllers work in DP?
Are you able to simply select a MIDI interface port per track. So that you simply have specific MIDI in port addressing a specific software instrument instance or MIDI hardware output port.
Or do you have to set each MIDI controller to different MIDI channels or something?

Ideally I would just select a specific MIDI in port per instrument. I could assign the Roland TD3 electric drum kit to a certain instrument and assign a keyboard to another track with a different instrument whether hardware or software.
Thanks,
Roman.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Romanp wrote:How does recording multiple MIDI controllers work in DP?
Are you able to simply select a MIDI interface port per track. So that you simply have specific MIDI in port addressing a specific software instrument instance or MIDI hardware output port.
Or do you have to set each MIDI controller to different MIDI channels or something?

Ideally I would just select a specific MIDI in port per instrument. I could assign the Roland TD3 electric drum kit to a certain instrument and assign a keyboard to another track with a different instrument whether hardware or software.
Thanks,
Roman.
In DP, instruments are like rack gear. They occupy their own space. We even have a place for them (though not required) called "V-Racks" where you can place instruments and they act just like external rack gear.

We have MIDI tracks that can be assigned to any of those instruments, or you can assign many tracks to the same instrument.

Each instrument outputs to an audio track or Aux, which mimics an audio track, but doesn't record audio data directly. An Aux is to an audio track something like a bus is to an input or output. It represents something real, but more as a place-holder.

This differs from Logic, where these three tracks (Instrument, MIDI, and Audio) are joined at the hip as one track in the Arrange Window. We generally like our arrangement better, because it gives us more flexibility without any fuss. It's exactly the same as using external rack gear. If you didn't know the instrument was virtual, you wouldn't know there was any difference between it and your Roland.

Now, to your question. Yes, you can assign a different controller to every track if you like. You can record them all at once, if you've got enough hands on deck to man the controllers. It's as simple as assigning those MIDI outputs to their instruments. Instead, you just assign controllers to MIDI inputs. Simple as that.

In order that DP knows what you're doing, you select Multi-Record before you do this. At that point, all the MIDI Inputs become available to assign to different instruments. If Multi-Record is not selected, then one controller records any track, one at a time, and the inputs of each track are dormant, defaulting to whatever controller you happen to be using.

If I'm recording in one track, without Multi-Record, all MIDI controllers will record to that track simultaneously. So, I can record with my WX5 MIDI Wind Instrument while operating my Roland FC300 pedal board, and/or using the pedals or keys or faders or whatever from my Kurzweil 2600 — all in the same track at the same time.

With Multi-Record, each of these instruments would be controlling different tracks. If you need to do Multi-Record with many controllers on many instruments, but YOUR instrument requires two controllers, you record them to two different tracks, assigned the same output. The two tracks can be merged later if you want, but it will be just as if you were recording one track with multiple controllers.

I hope you are seeing the flexibility of this arrangement. It is simple and straightforward to use.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Have to agree, multiple MIDI in is possible in Logic, just fraught with pitfalls that are annoying, ( it's a freaking key command every time you arm a track, if you fail, you start again! ), that simply don't exist in DP. DP is about as straightforward as you can get about it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Shooshie wrote:
Romanp wrote:How does recording multiple MIDI controllers work in DP?

Thanks,
Roman.
In DP, instruments are like rack gear. They occupy their own space. We even have a place for them (though not required) called "V-Racks" where you can place instruments and they act just like external rack gear.

We have MIDI tracks that can be assigned to any of those instruments, or you can assign many tracks to the same instrument.

Each instrument outputs to an audio track or Aux, which mimics an audio track, but doesn't record audio data directly. An Aux is to an audio track something like a bus is to an input or output. It represents something real, but more as a place-holder.

This differs from Logic, where these three tracks (Instrument, MIDI, and Audio) are joined at the hip as one track in the Arrange Window. We generally like our arrangement better, because it gives us more flexibility without any fuss. It's exactly the same as using external rack gear. If you didn't know the instrument was virtual, you wouldn't know there was any difference between it and your Roland.

Now, to your question. Yes, you can assign a different controller to every track if you like. You can record them all at once, if you've got enough hands on deck to man the controllers. It's as simple as assigning those MIDI outputs to their instruments. Instead, you just assign controllers to MIDI inputs. Simple as that.

In order that DP knows what you're doing, you select Multi-Record before you do this. At that point, all the MIDI Inputs become available to assign to different instruments. If Multi-Record is not selected, then one controller records any track, one at a time, and the inputs of each track are dormant, defaulting to whatever controller you happen to be using.

If I'm recording in one track, without Multi-Record, all MIDI controllers will record to that track simultaneously. So, I can record with my WX5 MIDI Wind Instrument while operating my Roland FC300 pedal board, and/or using the pedals or keys or faders or whatever from my Kurzweil 2600 — all in the same track at the same time.

With Multi-Record, each of these instruments would be controlling different tracks. If you need to do Multi-Record with many controllers on many instruments, but YOUR instrument requires two controllers, you record them to two different tracks, assigned the same output. The two tracks can be merged later if you want, but it will be just as if you were recording one track with multiple controllers.

I hope you are seeing the flexibility of this arrangement. It is simple and straightforward to use.

Shooshie

This is the best (intuitive) feature in Digital Performer ........period ;-)
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .