DP 8?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8?

Post by sdfalk »

midilance wrote:My gut says, at NAMM they bring out DP 7.5 (64 bit upgrade).

I'm hoping for the same.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
burn em

Post by burn em »

Who cares about DP8 man... When is DP9 gonna hit the shelves! and when is it going 128 bit? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Macbook Pro i7 17"-10.6.8 16Gb DP 7.24 ][ G5 dual 2 ghz pci, 4Gb-10.4.11 DP 7.12
Nomad Factory ][ Airwindows Gatelope (The best drums gate. buy it!) ][ Altiverb 6
MOTU 828 mkIII, 828 mkI x3, 8Pre ][ Apogee AD16, DA16 & Duet ][ MC Mix ][ API 3124+ ][ Toft ATB 24
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My money says no upgrade at NAMM.

They may show a preview of upcoming features - they have done that before but I think any announcement is a long way off.
DP 11.3; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.2.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBP Catalina
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

James Steele wrote:100% Agreed. I think the "6" in DP6 was retired early because of bad PR. And although many issues were fixed by DP 6.02 the "long knives" were already out for DP6 on all the forums. :(
Bingo. Remember my bitchfest about this? I still hold onto the fact that DP7 is basically DP6.5. Not that it wasn't a GREAT upgrade, but it was far far from the overhauls that DP5 and DP6 were, it was DP6 done correctly. Sorta like Windows 7 is Windows Vista done correctly (har har). So part of me says they'll sit on 7 for a while, adding nice little things here and there in point upgrades, trying to get people like SOS on the groovy gravy train.

On the flipside, I see a lot of software rocket through numbers as they get into the higher digits. Point upgrades turn to integer upgrades the moment that the price is right. There's so many directions MOTU could go with DP, I have no idea what's on their plate, besides the elephant in the room (64bit). Probably a drum track overhaul, live performance features, most likely more guitar effects, or some kind of all-in-one competitor to Guitar Rig/Amplitube... they seem to be guitar happy at the moment. I dunno, I'm pretty happy with DP as a DAW right now, so all my feature wishes these days tend to be outside of the immediate DAW improvement list. Some kind of scripting language, or Reaktor/Max-like upgrade for the consoles. I could throw out all kinds of oddball ideas, but I really have no idea what they're going to do next.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
scott dansby

DP 8?

Post by scott dansby »

I was about to buy a version 7 upgrade, I know it been out for a while, and then I thought maybe I should wait for a version 8 to come out. Has anyone heard anything about a new version coming out? Should I wait a little longer and not waste my hard earned $$?

Thank you for your responces.
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0, Motu 896 HD, DP 6, Event 20/20, Reason 4, Ableton 5, AT 4050, Line 6 Pod, Rhodes Mark 1, Roland Juno 106, Arturia Analog Factory, Korg Pad Kontrol, Ampeg Gemini, Fender Twin, mics and pedals.....
timriley

Post by timriley »

I can feel a DP8 wishlist coming on... :wink:
Mac Pro Quad XEON/2.8Ghz/12GB RAM

Macbook Pro Core Duo/2.16Ghz/2GB RAM

OSX 10.6.8/DP7.22
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

We already have a post of the same title, asking the same thing. But to summerize, I think most people are NOT expecting DP8 this year, because DP7 was such a stable release that MOTU will likely want to keep it around for another cycle. 4 and 5 each lasted a couple years (4 had a major .5 update that hung around for at least two years). The only reason 6 was cutoff so quickly is because of how much bad press it got. You MIGHT want to wait until after NAMM next week, because IF DP8 is announced, it will be announced there. But if not, go ahead and buy DP7 now, because DP8 will probably be released in Jan-Feb 2012, if we're all still alive then ;)

The other thing to think about is that DP7 is stable now, it's tried and true, and been through quite a few maintenance revisions. DP8 will inevitably have some period of fixing up.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

timriley wrote:I can feel a DP8 wishlist coming on... :wink:
You do? I sure as hell don't.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Prime Mover wrote:We already have a post of the same title...
Not any more... consolidated! :dance:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Prime Mover wrote:
+! I sure as heck hope not!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
scott dansby

Post by scott dansby »

Thank You for all of your responses. I think it is time for an upgrade.
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0, Motu 896 HD, DP 6, Event 20/20, Reason 4, Ableton 5, AT 4050, Line 6 Pod, Rhodes Mark 1, Roland Juno 106, Arturia Analog Factory, Korg Pad Kontrol, Ampeg Gemini, Fender Twin, mics and pedals.....
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

scott dansby wrote:Thank You for all of your responses. I think it is time for an upgrade.
I would wait til NAMM (it's just 10 days away!) and see if there's an announcement then. If it is, you can call MOTU and see if you get the next for free if you buy now. If it's not you just go ahead and order.
If they announce a new version at NAMM I think it still will be some months away.
But remember how they sneaked DP7 on us? No announcements no nothing. It was just there one morning ;-)

I belive the next one will be DP8 as it's easier to charge for that than a .5 upgrade. DP7 already has had two major upgrades for free so next one's gonna be a paid one, I'm pretty sure.
But then again, MOTU moves in mysterious ways ;-)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

But they need to fix in version 7 this monitoring level bug...

DP 7 direct hardware playthru, works but :
fader readout and actual level is 2:1,
lowering level in DP by 20 dB gives 10 dB less level, etc.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 99#p369729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't believe nobody cares when multitracking with DP...
The recmonitormix varies 2:1 from rec to playback, unusable...

best

Klaus
timriley

Post by timriley »

James Steele wrote:
Prime Mover wrote:
+! I sure as heck hope not!
Don't worry guys it won't be coming from me.
Mac Pro Quad XEON/2.8Ghz/12GB RAM

Macbook Pro Core Duo/2.16Ghz/2GB RAM

OSX 10.6.8/DP7.22
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I don't think the next release will be DP 8.

I think it will be 7.x in 64 bit (or with the option).

And I just don't think it will be at NAMM this month. Like James said, there are other MOTU softwares more due/in need for updates than DP.

And who knows with MOTU, they may drop some new software or hardware bomb at NAMM this year. They're very good at keeping secrets.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.