Can DP 7 receive MIDI output from a Instrument plug-in?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Christopher Drake
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Christopher Drake »

Does anyone know if DP can receive MIDI output from a plug in?

For example in my case I have MASCHINE loaded as an instrument, and want to record enable a MIDI track in DP to record MASCHINE's instrument MIDI output, as demonstrated in this tutorial at NI: http://tinyurl.com/28g8vkg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it's the fourth marker in the video, to skip to the part relevant to what i'm talking about)

I can make this happen in PTHD, but I don't seem to have any MIDI input available from the MASHINE plug in on my DP input drop down.

any ideas???
1nput0utput

Re: Can DP 7 receive MIDI output from a Instrument plug-in?

Post by 1nput0utput »

Yes, Digital Performer supports MIDI outputs from plug-ins. The Trigger plug-in is the oldest one I can think of. Keep in mind that the plug-in won't be active if the track where it's inserted doesn't have a valid audio output, and that would probably cause the plug-ins MIDI output to not be published. Also check whether Multi Record is enabled or disabled. In most cases, you would want it disabled, but it might be helpful to enable it for your purposes.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I'm not so sure. Trigger is MAS. The question is whether DP supports MIDI output from AU plugins. Does AU even support that? I thought I read somewhere that only VST supports that and AU does not, or something like that. I could be wrong.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
adriano

Post by adriano »

dewdman42 wrote:I'm not so sure. Trigger is MAS. The question is whether DP supports MIDI output from AU plugins. Does AU even support that? I thought I read somewhere that only VST supports that and AU does not, or something like that. I could be wrong.
Hi dewdman42,

No! DP does not support MIDI out from AU plugins. They can be programmed to support that like VST plugins. Below is the link if interested:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Coreaud ... 00053.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing is that MOTU has to implement the code into DP also, so that it knows how the AU plugin is being used.
The truth is that not even Logic is programmed for MIDI out functionality. Not one DAW supports this.
I have MDrummer, VST and AU. Both plugins support MIDI out, but the only one that I can use is the VST version and have to load it in Metro from sagantech, same with RealGuitar plugin.

I sent a feature request for DP, Logic and Metro a month ago about this and heard nothing yet except for Metro which, will be ready in a few days.

Here is another ongoing thread at musiclab makers of Realguitar:

http://www.musiclab.com/community/forum ... php?t=2942" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you've found this somewhat informative
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I guess the only way to deal with MIDI plugins is the host them in a different host somehow and route MIDI around with IAC. You get some MIDI jitter that way, but it kinda works. yea hope MOTU will get with the times too. Jamstix is coming out soon on OSX and that one in particular I will be wanting bad to use with OSX.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hello forum,
Just revisiting this thread and wondering if, there is some kind of plugin (AU) to load in DP or standalone app that will load VST with MIDI out functionality and pass/record the output into DP.

Adriano

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi, Adriano.
I'm at a loss here. I don't even know what this thread means :?

Do you think you could briefly describe what the OP means and wants, please?

Why would I want to recieve MIDI OUT from a AU plugin? Could you give me an example? Just trying to understand this...

Maybe it's something useful I should know about?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well the power behind making a sound in a VI is MIDI data. So if you want that data somewhere else, simply copy the track and assign the data to your destination. I'm not sure why you might otherwise want to monitor that directly from the VI.

Can you give us an example as to what you're trying to accomplish?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Ditto FM and MLC.

Are you talking about running a plugin as a standalone module and capturing a performance "downstream" in DP? Because if you run a VI hosted within DP, I can't think of any value in being able to get MIDI Out.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hi FM,

I'll do my best to be as clear as possible.

RealGuitar for example from Musiclab, the VST plugin version has MIDI out capabilities. What this does is making it General MIDI compliant. Here is a link, if interested in some reading: http://www.MIDI.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trying to strum a guitar on keys for a standard MIDI file, is not an easy task, but, RealGuitar implemented "MIDI Out" feature about a year ago and it works very nice.

I hope I explained it right :)

Adriano

Kubi

Post by Kubi »

There are a number of plug-ins where this would be useful, i.e. algorithmic Reaktor ensembles, etc. Sounds like this is a shortcoming in the AU spec?
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
MIDI Life Crisis

Then there is MachFive 3 and scripting to consider if it's strumming you need.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
adriano

Post by adriano »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Then there is MachFive 3 and scripting to consider if it's strumming you need.
Thanks for the info, MLC. I will email Dave at Motu to find out if MachFive will output to MIDI according to the GM specs.

Adriano

MIDI Life Crisis

I was referring to the scripting for strumming in M5, not outputting MIDI. That would still be a function of DP as per my earlier post. I have to look at your links when I'm on my Mac. On the iPhone since Thursday.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

The biggest reasons for MIDI out from an AU would be drum sequencers, arpeggiators, and unique step sequencers. Not to mention an AU's internal grooves etc.

Couple examples:

Reaktor- there are some really unique step sequencers in Reaktor, maybe you want to have another soft synth follow the sequence, or to have the other AU be the only sound etc.

Geist (Guru before) is a great drum machine AU, really nicely laid out exclusively for electronic drums, it's pretty cool to be able to send out the Kick/snare or whatever MIDI hit from Geist to control one of the many drum synthesizers in another track, etc. etc. This way all your percussion sequences stay inside Geist.

It would of course also open up the playing field for third party MIDI plug ins, arps etc.

For some reason it's not being implemented in AU even by Apple with Logic apparently, but it's a great feature of VSTs and it really should be.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.