Anyone using SSL Matrix with DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Anyone using SSL Matrix with DP?

Post by delcosmos »

Well, yes, this was the very first days of the Matrix, maybe he should try with DP 7.21 and an update software for his Matrix.

I know Euphonix use ethernet and works with DP, but remember, a few DP versions ago, if you wanted to use a Euphonix with DP, you had to install a software in order to DP recognize your Euphonix controller, these days DP comes with this by default, but a year ago, SSL didn't have that extra software for Digital Performer.

Anyway, I would love to read about someone using successfully a Digital Performer with a Matrix. When you find someone let me know.

BTW, I know there are profiles for PT, Logic, Cubase, and DP, as I said DP works perfectly with my Duality, I set the buttons on the master to match DP functions, but believe me, we can't make it work with the Matrix, and this is true, the guys at SSL told us (a year ago) that DP wasn't supported on the Matrix. Hope this have changed by now.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

delcosmos wrote:Well, yes, this was the very first days of the Matrix, maybe he should try with DP 7.21 and an update software for his Matrix.

I use 2 Euphonix too with ethernet, but remember, in the old days, if you wanted to use a Euphonix with DP, you had to install a software so DP recognize your Euphonix controller, these days DP comes with this by default, well, SSL didn't have that extra software for Digital Performer then.

Anyway, I would love to read about someone using successfully a Digital Performer with a Matrix. When you find someone let me know.

BTW, I know there are profiles for PT, Logic, Cubase, and DP, as I said DP works perfectly with my Duality, I set the buttons on the master to match DP functions, but we can't make it work with the Matrix, and this is true, the guys at SSL told us (a year ago) that DP wasn't supported. Hope this have changed by now.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
That's what we're trying to tell you - DP is supported by the Matrix. I think you may have misunderstood the SSL people. What they probably said was DP wasn't supported out of the box. There's a good bit of info in the manual on how to customize existing profiles for use with just about any daw. The software you probably had to install to support the Euphonix on DP via Ethernet might have been iP MIDI. You still have to install something like that even now. It's on the disk that comes with the Matrix. Here's an excerpt from the manual:
"Matrix Remote
Mount the MatrixRemote.dmg disk image and open it. Drag the enclosed Matrix Remote application to the Applications folder, then to the Dock or any other convenient location.
ipMIDI
Mount the ipMIDI.dmg disk image and open it. Double click on the ipMIDI.pkg file to run the installation program. Note that you will be asked to log out and in again once you have completed the installation. Once you have logged back in open Audio MIDI Setup and double click on the ipMIDI icon. Set the number of MIDI ports to 18 in the resulting pop-up.
Note that if you are upgrading an older copy of ipMIDI you must uninstall it before running the installer. To uninstall ipMIDI simply delete: </Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ipMIDIDriver.bundle>. You should empty the Trash after deleting the .bundle file before running the installer."

I'd suggest that your friend uninstall the Matrix software and do a re-install. There's a whole sequence of stuff to be done as regards the install and it can get finicky.

You mention using a Duality. Are the Duality and Matrix being used on the same computer? I don't know how good that would work, if at all. Second question: how did you hookup the Duality - via Ethernet or the bunch of MIDI ports on the back? If you got it to work via Ethernet with DP then there's proof that that connection protocol can and will work with DP.
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

n2mpujack wrote:
delcosmos wrote:Well, yes, this was the very first days of the Matrix, maybe he should try with DP 7.21 and an update software for his Matrix.

I use 2 Euphonix too with ethernet, but remember, in the old days, if you wanted to use a Euphonix with DP, you had to install a software so DP recognize your Euphonix controller, these days DP comes with this by default, well, SSL didn't have that extra software for Digital Performer then.

BTW, I know there are profiles for PT, Logic, Cubase, and DP, as I said DP works perfectly with my Duality, I set the buttons on the master to match DP functions, but we can't make it work with the Matrix, and this is true, the guys at SSL told us (a year ago) that DP wasn't supported. Hope this have changed by now.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
That's what we're trying to tell you - DP is supported by the Matrix. I think you may have misunderstood the SSL people. What they probably said was DP wasn't supported out of the box. There's a good bit of info in the manual on how to customize existing profiles for use with just about any daw. The software you probably had to install to support the Euphonix on DP via Ethernet might have been iP MIDI. You still have to install something like that even now. It's on the disk that comes with the Matrix. Here's an excerpt from the manual:
"Matrix Remote
Mount the MatrixRemote.dmg disk image and open it. Drag the enclosed Matrix Remote application to the Applications folder, then to the Dock or any other convenient location.
ipMIDI
Mount the ipMIDI.dmg disk image and open it. Double click on the ipMIDI.pkg file to run the installation program. Note that you will be asked to log out and in again once you have completed the installation. Once you have logged back in open Audio MIDI Setup and double click on the ipMIDI icon. Set the number of MIDI ports to 18 in the resulting pop-up.
Note that if you are upgrading an older copy of ipMIDI you must uninstall it before running the installer. To uninstall ipMIDI simply delete: </Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ipMIDIDriver.bundle>. You should empty the Trash after deleting the .bundle file before running the installer."

I'd suggest that your friend uninstall the Matrix software and do a re-install. There's a whole sequence of stuff to be done as regards the install and it can get finicky.

You mention using a Duality. Are the Duality and Matrix being used on the same computer? I don't know how good that would work, if at all. Second question: how did you hookup the Duality - via Ethernet or the bunch of MIDI ports on the back? If you got it to work via Ethernet with DP then there's proof that that connection protocol can and will work with DP.
Hello Jack, thanks for your response.

Well, no, the Duality is mine and the Matrix belongs to my friend and its installed in his studio.
My Duality is connected via MIDI, not ethernet.

I'll tell him to read your recommendation step by step in order to make it work with DP.

Thank you.

delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by corbo-billy »

Any news, delcosmos ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Yeah delcosmos, I'm interested to know myself.

Well, I get the impression that one could not run the Euphonix controllers and the Matrix at the same time, because there might be conflicts with the Ethernet thing.. that would be OK, I would use one or the other.

If the Matrix actually worked and worked well, it might be a better solution for me than what I have now, but I would hate to make a $24k mistake. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Bump.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm now very seriously considering getting one of these. A desk with a full featured center section, a no latency front end for recording, and a stellar analog summing engine is what I need most. I don't use outboard EQ's and comps, I prefer plugins, since they're getting so good nowadays.. and I can always get an X-Rack for that later if I need and can afford it. I have the Mic pre's I need already.

This is just a last ditch effort to see if anyone here has any experience with one of these as a controller with DP. I was watching this video, the one titled "Matrix Tour":

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/music/matrix/video.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like as a controller, it can do pretty much everything I can do with the Euphonix controllers now, albeit more elegantly. But it also has that Super Analog mojo happening..

Anyone?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

Killahurts wrote:Bump.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm now very seriously considering getting one of these. A desk with a full featured center section, a no latency front end for recording, and a stellar analog summing engine is what I need most. I don't use outboard EQ's and comps, I prefer plugins, since they're getting so good nowadays.. and I can always get an X-Rack for that later if I need and can afford it. I have the Mic pre's I need already.

This is just a last ditch effort to see if anyone here has any experience with one of these as a controller with DP. I was watching this video, the one titled "Matrix Tour":

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/music/matrix/video.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like as a controller, it can do pretty much everything I can do with the Euphonix controllers now, albeit more elegantly. But it also has that Super Analog mojo happening..

Anyone?
I yearn after one of these myself (if I had the money). I love the trick they do to get 40 inputs on mix-down. It's interesting watching the videos for this thing there's more to the unit than what's shown in the manuals available online. There's also videos for this on SSL's YouTube page at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSLvideos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing to look at on the SSL site is this page:
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/ ... ofiles.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has the downloadable profiles for the Matrix for different DAW software. As you'll see there's a set for DP. Interesting thing is this page is no longer linked to off the Matrix pages; I just happened to have it bookmarked in Firefox. Note that these are apparently for the MCU profile.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

n2mpujack wrote:One thing to look at on the SSL site is this page:
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/ ... ofiles.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has the downloadable profiles for the Matrix for different DAW software. As you'll see there's a set for DP. Interesting thing is this page is no longer linked to off the Matrix pages; I just happened to have it bookmarked in Firefox. Note that these are apparently for the MCU profile.
Yes, it would be for MCU, as the SSL gear does not use Eucon.. I guess that's my primary curiosity right now- MCU vs. Eucon in DP. I admit I haven't gotten completely up to speed on the full capabilities of the Euphonix controllers yet, but I'm wondering how much more they can do (that I actually need) than MCU.

For instance, within the Eucon app, I can assign faders to specific tracks in a DP project and lock them there. This is really important because I work with large templates and I wouldn't want to have to scroll through 200 MIDI tracks to get to my audio or VI tracks, or have a bunch of unused "dead" faders between the live ones. I think whether or not I could do that with Matrix would be a matter of the SSL software, and not a function of MCU, but I could be wrong- I've never actually used MCU.

Guess it's time to call my buds at SSL and see if I can find somebody who knows.. I'll report back.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Ordered it today. :mrgreen:
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

OK I've been working with the Matrix for a few days now. DP does seem to work with it, although there are a few issues with metering, and some buttons that don't work that should. To be clear, I have NOT ruled out pilot error yet, as this is a powerful instrument with a lot of features packed in, and I'm still in many ways scratching the surface. The main things like faders, mutes, etc. are working as advertised, and I'm getting more up to speed on the more complex aspects of DAW control every day.

The sound of the desk is just sick. The channels are very clean and transparent, and the overall mix has that sound.. big and wide, with headroom forever.

Having said that, I'm now thinking it's possible that I'm the only one in the world using Matrix with DP as the main DAW.. guess I'm charting new territory. If that's the case, so be it- I'm not giving up this sound. :mrgreen:
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Just to put a bookend on this thread (since I'm talking to myself at this point)..

The Matrix does indeed work with DP, as well as and actually better than a Mackie Control Universal. It always did. It just doesn't come out of the box that way, it must be completely reprogrammed manually.

If one purchases a MCU, they include a Lexan overlay that maps the MCU buttons to DP functions. If you don't have this overlay, you're sunk, because most of the buttons as labeled on the MCU do not coincide with what they do in DP.

Special thanks to csavetman, a member of this board and my good friend, for stopping by and helping me get to the bottom of it. Also thanks for the nifty DP specific modifier key chart!

I'm now getting better control of DP than I was getting with the Euphonix, and the best sounds I've ever produced out of my studio.

Maybe I'll try to sell my Matrix profile to the folks out there using DP with Matrix, all 3 of us. :wink:
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Killahurts wrote:Just to put a bookend on this thread (since I'm talking to myself at this point)..

The Matrix does indeed work with DP, as well as and actually better than a Mackie Control Universal. It always did. It just doesn't come out of the box that way, it must be completely reprogrammed manually.

If one purchases a MCU, they include a Lexan overlay that maps the MCU buttons to DP functions. If you don't have this overlay, you're sunk, because most of the buttons as labeled on the MCU do not coincide with what they do in DP.

Special thanks to csavetman, a member of this board and my good friend, for stopping by and helping me get to the bottom of it. Also thanks for the nifty DP specific modifier key chart!

I'm now getting better control of DP than I was getting with the Euphonix, and the best sounds I've ever produced out of my studio.

Maybe I'll try to sell my Matrix profile to the folks out there using DP with Matrix, all 3 of us. :wink:
Happy to be of some help to you. Glad you've got it working now.

Carlos
maxpro

Post by maxpro »

If anyone has a DP Profile too share, it would greatly be apprciated! :)