New Vox Continental organ plug-in - free, and good.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Vox Continental organ plug-in - free, and good.

Post by crduval »

mikehalloran wrote:Oh my...

A friend from high school (40 years ago !?!?) had a Farfisa Mini Combo and a Gibson. He stopped playing both when he got his Hammond.
Hey that could have been me! :D

In my case, though, I traded the Farfisa for an RMI electric piano. Come to think of it I don't own a VI with the sound of that piece of... er... vintage equipment yet.:lol:
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Would someone please remind me where the Component goes?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote:Would someone please remind me where the Component goes?
Drag to your dock:

Mac HD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Would someone please remind me where the Component goes?
If you want it available to all user accounts on your machine it goes here (where "." is your root directory):

./Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

That's where most people put it since most of us don't share machines. If you want it on just a particular user account then put it here:

./Users/yourusername/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks Gents.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FWIW... a pic of the real deal (I'd never seen one before) from the thread at the other board mentioned earlier:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

James Steele wrote:FWIW... a pic of the real deal (I'd never seen one before) from the thread at the other board mentioned earlier:

Something about red in those days - seems every combo organ was red.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

David Polich wrote:Just released for Mac - AU version of Combo V, a Vox Continental
emulation. It's free - and it's surprisingly good.

http://www.martinic.com/combov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I totally agree! Nice find. I put patch 0880 80 through DP's Analog Chorus. sounds great!
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

James Steele wrote:FWIW... a pic of the real deal (I'd never seen one before) from the thread at the other board mentioned earlier:

LOL. They had one in the AV lab when I was a kid! Rock on! :dance:
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, and for those who didn't know, Clavia chose to make all their keyboards and synths (Nord series, now the name of the company itself), red in honour of the old Combo Organs.

Korg's new SV-1 ("Stage Vintage") is also red as an homage to the Vox, which is under Korg's ownership these days (note that in my linked thread they showed a sneak preview of a prototype of an unreleased reissue at a trade show recently).

It would not surprise me if Korg does re-release the Continental, as they've been bucking the trend recently by coming out with oddball stuff like a true vintage analog synth without MIDI (for only $50!), and a versatile ultra-sensitive percussion synth (WaveDrum) that also doesn't bother trying to translate its intricate parameters into MIDI.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ohhhh vintage keyboards... Hmmmm... I have a 1920s Bösendorfer in my living room but no room for organs. These new plugins are a major space saver if nothing else.

Does anyone have one for the Multi-Moog, one of the coolest pieces of analog gear ever? not only was each key programmable but the stock patches were taken from Wendy Carlos.

Anyway... the OP was for a cool bit of freeware so I'll remind you of another. Part of the MDA free plugs is a Leslie simulator that is surprisingly good - and automates perfectly in DP for us Booker T fans who like his way of constantly starting, stopping, speeding and slowing his Leslies - often doing all four in 8 bars.
http://mda.smartelectronix.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mhschmieder wrote:Oh, and for those who didn't know, Clavia chose to make all their keyboards and synths (Nord series, now the name of the company itself), red in honour of the old Combo Organs.

Korg's new SV-1 ("Stage Vintage") is also red as an homage to the Vox, which is under Korg's ownership these days (not in my linked thread that they showed a sneak preview of a prototype of an unreleased reissue at a trade show recently).

It would not surprise me if Korg does re-release the Continental, as they've been bucking the trend recently by coming out with oddball stuff like a true vintage analog synth without MIDI (for only $50!), and a versatile ultra-sensitive percussion synth (WaveDrum) that also doesn't bother trying to translate its intricate parameters into MIDI.
Well, if Korg reissues the Continental, I would hope it's built better
than the original. The originals were really poorly constructed. The Jaguar
was better built, I don't know what happened to the QC on the Continentals.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A recent thread is pointing to this so I'll give an update.

http://www.martinic.com/combov/ still works but I can find only the Combo F - now in 64bit and updated as recently as 12/2013.

I last downloaded the ComboV v1.3.1 in 2013 (also 64bit, I think) but no longer see it on their site - or anywhere else.

The .pdf files for the Mac versions are now part of the installers - which I saved.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
magicd

Post by magicd »

Thanks for the tip!

crduval wrote:RMI electric piano. Come to think of it I don't own a VI with the sound of that piece of... er... vintage equipment yet.:lol:
I actually had an RMI for a couple of years. Very nasty machine. Electric piano with no touch sensitivity. Quite distinct.

There's an RMI in MOTU Electric Keys. But unlike the real thing, it doesn't weigh 500 lbs...

Dave
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Kinda on topic...

I'd have to check the album credits, but I think my old friend from Beaumont, TX, Edgar Winter, used an RMI on the "Entrance" album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)