New Vox Continental organ plug-in - free, and good.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Vox Continental organ plug-in - free, and good.

Post by David Polich »

Just released for Mac - AU version of Combo V, a Vox Continental
emulation. It's free - and it's surprisingly good.

http://www.martinic.com/combov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: New Vox Continental organ plug-in - free, and good.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Happy post 2345 David and thanks for the heads up. This reminds me of why I am a pianist and not an organist... LOL! :D
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just to save somebody else the head scratching upon loading this VI. It will come up with the GUI totally one blank red square above the keyboard until you click the dark great word "Settings" at the very lower left corner of its GUI.

It's really fun. I stuck a reverb plug on it, set to preset "8685 46" and then crashed and burned not even halfway through Bach's Bouree in Em. *Sigh* What little I learned in piano classes years ago has sadly, sadly atrophied. :shake:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

It's perfect for "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"... :D

I love the ability to adjust the attack and level of the keyclick.
And the modwheel is wired to vibrato by default - with ComboSister,
you have to use the MIDI learn function to assign the Mod wheel to
vibrato, and it sometimes doesn't "learn".

This guy got it right. I'm surprised he doesn't charge for it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
MIDI Life Crisis

Lots of call for In The Garden Of Eden these days... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

BTW, the webpage says the manual is included with the installer, but this does not appear to be the case, so I recommend downloading the PDF while you are at the site for the Audio Units installer. Maybe it's included in the VST installer.

Dave, you mentioned earlier that this plug-in is good for Vox Jaguar as well as Vox Continental. Would you say it is also good for Elka Panther and Gibson G101 Kalamazoo? I don't have hands-on experience with those models, and thus far my only "virtual" exposure to them has been through your Yamaha MOTIF voice libraries. I have been moderately successful emulating what I THINK they're supposed to sound like using NuSofting Combo Sister, but with the usual caveats about that quirky and crash-prone interface.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mhschmieder wrote:BTW, the webpage says the manual is included with the installer, but this does not appear to be the case, so I recommend downloading the PDF while you are at the site for the Audio Units installer. Maybe it's included in the VST installer.

Dave, you mentioned earlier that this plug-in is good for Vox Jaguar as well as Vox Continental. Would you say it is also good for Elka Panther and Gibson G101 Kalamazoo? I don't have hands-on experience with those models, and thus far my only "virtual" exposure to them has been through your Yamaha MOTIF voice libraries. I have been moderately successful emulating what I THINK they're supposed to sound like using NuSofting Combo Sister, but with the usual caveats about that quirky and crash-prone interface.
I think the sound is close to that of the Elka Panther - of course, I'm recalling from memory since that organ was sold back in 1970. If memory does
serve me, the Panther was very close to the Continental - I believe it was
a "me too" product from the get go. Looked very much like a Continental, right down to the tubular chrome legs. It didn't have drawbars, though, it
had tabs.

I never had or used a Gibson so I wouldn't know about those.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Nice catch, thanks.
MIDI Life Crisis

I was thinking Farfisa Combo but it had a cleaner sound as I recall.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The Farfisa is a VERY different sound from the Vox/Elka series. And yes, I think the Elka Panther was pretty close to the Vox Jaguar from recordings that I have, and not terribly different from the Continental.

The Gibson was in some ways a bit more akin to a Hammond, as I recall. It was used by The Doors so is a sound that many are familiar with. I have sat down at one within the past five years, as a friend of my aunt has one in Florida and I was rather shocked to see it in her house when we visited. Still, it is a bit closer to a combo organ than a tonewheel.

I'm pretty sure the Gibson was the organ that was used in The Bangles' "Walk Like an Egyptian". I don't think it got much use otherwise though, as it wasn't so well known and probably didn't sell very well.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
MIDI Life Crisis

Keep in mind I am trying to remember something from the 60's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGJvzwKqg0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Oh my...

A friend from high school (40 years ago !?!?) had a Farfisa Mini Combo and a Gibson. He stopped playing both when he got his Hammond.

I am going to have to download this.

Just took a listen. It's just like having Allen Price (Animals) in your studio. Love it!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK

Post by BobK »

mhschmieder wrote:BTW, the webpage says the manual is included with the installer, but this does not appear to be the case, so I recommend downloading the PDF while you are at the site for the Audio Units installer. Maybe it's included in the VST installer.
FWIW: The web page says it's included with the Windows installer.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Oooh, thanks, working on a project right now for which this may be very apropos...
:D
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Although not related to the timing of this product announcement, there is a discussion going on over at the Keyboard Corner forum, about the use of certain Combo Organs by The Doors, with some excellent photos:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... /2213308/1

At any rate, this posting confirms that the Vox Continental was used on the first two albums, including for "Light My Fire", but that the Gibson Kalamzoo was adopted later and for live work due to greater reliability.

The pictures of the Gibson combo organ in that forum discussion are quite large -- the largest I've seen so far. It does look more Farfisa-like, but my recollection is that its sound was in between that and a Hammond.