Vote for TWO favorite AMPGUI mods to port to DP7.2 themes!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."

Which TWO of Amplidood's mods would you like to see ported to DP 7.2 themes first?

Sharp
22%
Mellow
10%
Oxidized
5%
Aquarius
1%
Gold Complete
17%
Jade
No votes
Overcast
9%
Night
22%
Sleek
10%
Snow
5%

Total votes: 133

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Vote for TWO favorite AMPGUI mods to port to DP7.2 theme

Post by James Steele »

sdfalk wrote:Sharp & Overcast
Those were my votes as well. You voted in the poll, right?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

James Steele wrote:
sdfalk wrote:Sharp & Overcast
Those were my votes as well. You voted in the poll, right?
I did indeed sir
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

csiaudio wrote:Just make some thing where the itty bitty numbers are clear to read and I'll buy!
What monitors do you have? I had a couple of generic 19" square flat screens and was complaining constantly about the font size in DP and Logic. Then I got an Apple 27" and the problem went away. If anything, the dot pitch is smaller with the new monitor.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
zed

Post by zed »

bayswater wrote:
csiaudio wrote:Just make some thing where the itty bitty numbers are clear to read and I'll buy!
What monitors do you have? I had a couple of generic 19" square flat screens and was complaining constantly about the font size in DP and Logic. Then I got an Apple 27" and the problem went away. If anything, the dot pitch is smaller with the new monitor.
The Apple monitor is the trick. I bought and returned others because I didn't like assorting things including the font size. But with the Apple 21" Display (and all Apple monitors I assume) the size of everything was just right once again. I guess we get what we pay for.

Having said that, I also use a BenQ 17" monitor which has the same resolution and similar quality to the Apple monitor, so Apple isn't the only game in town. But you can certainly count on them to be good ones.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
melenko
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by melenko »

Back from some holliday's journey, I discover the new DP 7.2.
Amazing!!! They followed the subject of the GUI! Great!
BUT are they some way or another grateful for the job that Amplidood did?
On top, the best AMPGUI's for me are the:
"Overcast"
"Clarity"

Zed, did you try or even see the NEC screen's? It's great and cheaper than Apple's
ones?
I use a MultiSync EA 267WM for DP and a Samsung214T SyncMaster (old, 4 years!)for the plugs...
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
zed

Post by zed »

melenko wrote:Zed, did you try or even see the NEC screen's? It's great and cheaper than Apple's ones?
Nope, I didn't try those... but I will try to remember to check them out when the next monitor purchase comes around. I'm all for saving money if quality is not being sacrificed! :-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

If you check the Ampgui website he has already ported over to 7.2 - but no free ones to try sadly. However I have ported some of his free 7.1 mods over to 7.2 with some success (a few inconsistencies about font colours) - so it is possible to do mods much easier.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It's actually a lot more work than you might think to port his mods over to 7.2, hence no free ones to "try." I can't speak for Andy, but given the work involved we may not see free ones again and I'm okay with that. If Andy has a 7.2 version available on his site I would say it's only fair to get him from him than hack his older mods if the reason is to avoid paying him. Again.. There's MUCH more to it and many parameters have been added to themes that aren't possible with the older mods. You're also likely to get other artifacts besides a few colors being off.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

That's fair enough - but they were there on his website for free to try before 7.2 came out. Motu have made it easier to change themes so I adapted his free ones and experimented with copied versions of the Motu supplied ones - they work pretty well if you experiment. In fact the free ones are still on his website for 7.0 and 7.1 - just wondered if he was going to port his free ones to 7.2. If not, no problem - its not like I am pirating anything or infringing copyright - he offered them free for people to try. I like what he has done but not sure its worth $20 to me - and I had no interest or knowledge of Ampgui until I got 7.2 and then found out about his themes from this website.

In some ways these are the type of open source adaptations that people do for macs and I am sure others will post free themes for people to try (like dock themes). I am sure the Ampgui full themes are a lot more work and should be paid for - don't have a problem with that either. I am no pirate or freeloader - I just don't think $20 for one of his themes is worth it for me - but I really appreciate what he has done and thank him for the free ones which he has offered in the spirit of macs sharing and experimentation.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Right... but adapting the themes involves more than just changing some colors. There are GUI items that won't align properly under certain conditions and new parameters that aren't addressed in the old mods. For example the ability to have a different looking fader for mute and record is new and cannot be exploited without more aggressive updates.

I don't know if Andy will decide to port his previously FREE themes over for DP 7.2 or not. If he decides to charge for them, considering the additional work that will be up to him. If people don't way to pay for him to convert them as well as support the new capabilities provided under 7.2, they're certainly able to try to modify the old mods themselves as you are doing.

The bulk of the work, BTW, is not doing the modification, it's the hours spent through trial and error, figuring out and documenting the new parameters and graphics and what they do.

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Its mainly the colour changes I'm interested in - so the adaptations are enough for me - however a free example or two of the other mods might tempt some like me to pay - as I say I don't know how the full mods look. And if I came up with colour schemes that I think are worth sharing I would do it for free - who knows maybe Motu will decide to do something like this anyway as part of further updates. I don't doubt a lot of work has gone into these mods. I am just dabbling and having fun with the colour schemes.
Gary Shepherd
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Try doing 18 of them, and all for free. Wouldn't work.

Are you just talking about the track color palette?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

amplidood wrote:Try doing 18 of them, and all for free. Wouldn't work.

Yeah... I don't think he appreciates how much work goes into them. :lol:

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

James Steele wrote:

Yeah... I don't think he appreciates how much work goes into them. :lol:
"He" does actually appreciate it - but that wasn't the point I was making - I seem to have inadvertantly caused offence when none was intended. I wasn't suggesting the AMPGUI work should be for free - just that if I came up with some colour schemes based on changing the Motu supplied ones I would share them for free - as I am sure others will. I don't actually know what else the AMPGUI ones do so can't judge compared to my attempts. Mine are just changing the colours and looking at how the free AMPGUI versions work on the Motu supplied themes - I don't think that's wrong as they were free and I was interested in how it works. But also experimenting with the Motu themes - something that its clear that was intended by Motu.

Sorry guys but you have interpreted me wrong here - it is just the colours I am playing with. I am not suggesting that's all the AMPGUI mods are or that they should be free. Sorry if that's how it came across. My attempts would be feeble in comparison and not worth any money.
Gary Shepherd
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Specifically I was just looking at the items in the Themes Resources folder for individual themes supplied by Motu (based on the Classic theme). You can alter them in Preview and change the colours. Not sure how to alter anything else like fonts (and don't want to for fear of cocking up the DP program - I leave that humbly to experts like you). I looked at what the free AMPGUI mods you supplied did with colours (as some of the item types in your mods appear in the folder for the Motu Themes) and just started experimenting with copies of the Classic Theme supplied by Motu.

Sorry if you thought I was pirating your work and suggesting it should be free. My experimenting is just for my use - and if in future there is some free sharing of low level alterations like these (as may happen with DP users) - then that's all I would do if mine were any good. Sorry for this misunderstanding.
Gary Shepherd