How do I turn "relative grid mode" OFF!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
benmrx
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How do I turn "relative grid mode" OFF!

Post by benmrx »

OK... I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure this out and I just can't take take it anymore. Searched through the manual in the Sequence editor and graphic editor sections, looked in the index, even poked around in the key commands window..... and I just can NOT find the answer.

I don't know what it's called in DP, but in Pro Tools, this function is called "relative grid mode", which keeps the relative timing of a MIDI note, region, soundbite, etc. in place as you move it around the sequence. I.E., if you have a region that is a few ticks before the downbeat, and you move it a few measures later, it keeps it a few ticks before the downbeat at the new location.

This function is great sometimes, but most of the time, I just want to drag a region or MIDI note to the downbeat... or whatever I have selected in the "snap" settings. So... how do I simply grab a MIDI note in the graphic editor (or sequence editor) and drag it to the downbeat??

I found this while trying a google search, which might explain better the problem I'm having. Now, this was from using DP 4.1, so I'm PRAYING this feature exists now!!

From: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb04/a ... rnotes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This month I've been doing a lot of MIDI editing, both in DP 4.1, and, yes, I'll admit it, Cubase SX — on a PC! I know, I shouldn't have, but I had no choice... While it'd be DP every time in that desert island studio, I was rather taken with a small but crucial feature of SX, DP's lack of which I'd never noticed until now.

Basically, when you move a MIDI event or Soundbite in one of DP's graphic editors, the move is subject to the current Edit Resolution, and whether the Edit Grid is turned on or not. This is usually configured with the Edit Resolution toggle-button and pop-up menu that sits at the top right of the Graphic and Sequence Editor windows.

When the grid is toggled 'off', you can move the MIDI event or Soundbite anywhere you like in time, but when the grid is on, the smallest move you can make is exactly equal to the setting in the pop-up menu. That seems perfectly intuitive, but DP's approach is to maintain the position of the moved event relative to its original location. So if the event was originally somewhere between two beats, after the move it'll end up still between two beats, albeit a different two beats.
At the studio: 2" Sony/MCI 24 Track, 36x24 Neotek IIIC, Modest rack and mic selection, PTLE 7.4, 002R, Apogee AD8000, PPC Mac 2.7Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.4.9

Check out my completely out of date studio website: http://www.mysteriousredx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At Home: Intel iMac dual 3.06Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.2, DP7.12, Logic 9.1.1, Numerology 2.3
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do I turn "relative grid mode" OFF!

Post by Dwetmaster »

Hi
When I first started in DP, this very issue bugged me like Hell!
Unfortunately, as of DP7.12, this feature is not available. I even contacted the tech support about it. I thought it would be a deal breaker but I grew out of it and got used into using:
The quantize feature
Manually editing the timing of a note in the event editor or the event information next to the ruler.

Sorry to dissapoint you.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

To help alleviate excessive editing of MIDI parts, draggin' notes here, there, everywhere , I strongly suggest
trying the input quantize feature and try various %'s of how intense you want the quantize to be as you
record the part. I personally use percentages in the 75-82 range .... It may work for you

HTH - Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
benmrx

Post by benmrx »

Holy ••••!!!! (sorry.. couldn't help it)

REALLLLY!!!!

This might actually be a deal breaker for me...... I can't believe this is an overlooked feature. Basically DP doesn't have any way of snapping notes/regions to the grid other than using the quantize window?? How is that possible?? Why would they even call it "snap mode". I would imagine it just always be turned off, because it's basically usless.

So, if I want to snap a note that's between 2 other notes to the grid... I have to:

Select that note
Open the quantize window
Select the note value I want
Hit enter

That's 4 steps, as opposed to just dragging with the mouse...

I usually hate "input quantize" unless I'm doing drums.. especially trying to figure out a percentage.. because then I'm leaving it up to DP to decide where my notes are going to land. How do you get the right "feel" if DP is pushing/pulling your notes.
At the studio: 2" Sony/MCI 24 Track, 36x24 Neotek IIIC, Modest rack and mic selection, PTLE 7.4, 002R, Apogee AD8000, PPC Mac 2.7Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.4.9

Check out my completely out of date studio website: http://www.mysteriousredx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At Home: Intel iMac dual 3.06Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.2, DP7.12, Logic 9.1.1, Numerology 2.3
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

benmrx wrote:most of the time, I just want to drag a region or MIDI note to the downbeat... or whatever I have selected in the "snap" settings. So... how do I simply grab a MIDI note in the graphic editor (or sequence editor) and drag it to the downbeat??
Holding down the Command key overrides the grid.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
benmrx

Post by benmrx »

Yeah, which is really handy.... but still doesn't help me snap a note to a particular beat unless said note has already been quantized.

Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Hello!

I use the key command. It makes a 2 steps fast operation:
- command 0 open the quantize window (the first time it opens, you'll have to chose MIDI and the definition, usually I set it at 1/8, after that these pref stay for all the other time)
- press enter
Et voilà!

Very fast and efficient once you are use to it.
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Grigri wrote:Hello!

I use the key command. It makes a 2 steps fast operation:
- command 0 open the quantize window (the first time it opens, you'll have to chose MIDI and the definition, usually I set it at 1/8, after that these pref stay for all the other time)
- press enter
Et voilà!

Very fast and efficient once you are use to it.
+1
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Command-L.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Use the Tracks Overview Window; it'll do this. There is another way, though, in addition to that and the ones listed above. At the moment I don't remember it, but I'll try to keep it in mind and post it if/when I remember it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
benmrx

Post by benmrx »

Shooshie:

I tried using the track overview window... and actually.. it DOES work like a true grid mode... however, it's nearly impossible to work with any real detail. If I'm working with chunky regions this might be the best method, but working with individual MIDI notes it's almost impossible. Thankyou for the tip though, and if you happen to remember "the other way", I'de LOVE to know.

FMiguelez:

I tried using "command + L", but I get the same result. I thought if I kept the "keep realtime performance" box unchecked that it might work.. but it still does the same thing. Please fill me in if there's something I'm missing.

Grigri + James:

So far this seems the best all-around method. I even programmed the "tab" key (using quickeys) to select the quantize menu and hit return. So, at this point all I have to do is select the note/region and hit "tab". Which isn't too bad... I'm still pretty shocked this feature doesn't exist though.... that being said, DP is still the best overall DAW I've used so far (Pro Tools, Logic, Live, DP). This is really the first big "gotcha" I've come across that stings.

bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

This was/is definitely one of the, maybe THE hardest thing to get used to coming from Pro Tools. You just have to get used to quantizing things. It was weird because I rarely ever use the quantize or the relative grid in PT and suddenly in DP I had to use both, so it just wasn’t a workflow I was used to.

There’s some things I like better about the way it works in DP (love the cmd key bypass), but not having a choice of absolute or relative grid is not one of them. It’s just a different approach, PT didn’t have relative grid mode for ages.

The weird inconsistency of the trim tool and grid mode is a real drag too.

bb
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, have you tried THIS method? Set the "Grid" to a value of a measure. Now move whatever you have to move, and it will end up in the same relative position. Even a mere click on the left/right arrow keys will send it flying to the next bar, in exactly the same relative position. You decide whether you want to be able to move it off/grid with the COMMAND key or on/grid with it. Turn off the grid and COMMAND will toggle it on temporarily. Turn on the grid and COMMAND will toggle it off temporarily.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
benmrx

Post by benmrx »

bongo_x wrote:This was/is definitely one of the, maybe THE hardest thing to get used to coming from Pro Tools. You just have to get used to quantizing things. It was weird because I rarely ever use the quantize or the relative grid in PT and suddenly in DP I had to use both, so it just wasn’t a workflow I was used to.

There’s some things I like better about the way it works in DP (love the cmd key bypass), but not having a choice of absolute or relative grid is not one of them. It’s just a different approach, PT didn’t have relative grid mode for ages.

The weird inconsistency of the trim tool and grid mode is a real drag too.
Yeah... it's pretty strange. It's one of those things I'm surprised I never read about when researching DAW's... Kinda like Logics inability to pan an aux send... crazy!

What "inconsistency of the trim tool" are you talking about?

benmrx

Post by benmrx »

Shooshie wrote:Ok, have you tried THIS method? Set the "Grid" to a value of a measure. Now move whatever you have to move, and it will end up in the same relative position. Even a mere click on the left/right arrow keys will send it flying to the next bar, in exactly the same relative position. You decide whether you want to be able to move it off/grid with the COMMAND key or on/grid with it. Turn off the grid and COMMAND will toggle it on temporarily. Turn on the grid and COMMAND will toggle it off temporarily.
mmm... I guess I don't really understand what you're saying there... other than holding the command will toggle the state of the grid.