How do I turn "relative grid mode" OFF!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do I turn "relative grid mode" OFF!

Post by Dwetmaster »

benmrx wrote:that and the fact that I can't seem to figure out how to make the mixer window always show all the tracks. I.E., if I select a track in the TOW to make an edit, then go to the mixer... all tracks are hidden except the one I just made the edit on... although I havn't spent much time trying to figure that one out.

Try to either:
Unselect everything before going to the mixer. ( There's a key command for that)
Don't close the mixer. Just send it to back. That way when you bring it back upfront you won't be bothered.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Macrozonaris

Post by Macrozonaris »

I use DP every day, and have done so for a long time. This "relative grid mode" is the only thing that has been annoying me. I can not understand why MOTU just can't at least give an OPTION for this in the preferences. Wouldn't hurt any old users, and would make things lot quicker in this sort of MIDI editing. New users would feel much more at home.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

:deadhorse:

I realize this is an old thread, but has there been any changes to this behaviour? Any new workarounds?

Quantizing regions to snap them to the grid is quite tedious compared to being able to simply snap to the grid. This becomes especially evident when you have a soundbite that gets quantized in the wrong direction or you need to adjust the quantize settings frequently for parts with varied rhythms.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote::deadhorse:

I realize this is an old thread, but has there been any changes to this behaviour? Any new workarounds?
Not to make excuses for DP, it would make sense to have a preference or option for absolute rather than relative snaps, but it just never comes up as an issue for me. You can turn the snap off, or use the Command key to suspend it, and move regions where they belong. At a reasonable zoom level, they sound like they're in the right place long before they look like they're in the right place. In addition, super fine tuning can be done with the nudge command.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Even though a non-relative snap-to-grid option would NEVER be useful to me, I could see how it might be useful for someone who wanted to spot quantize individual notes. However, typing COMMAND-0 then ENTER isn't really all that painful.-- BUT, if I had to do it all the time, I'd want a preference for that.

In fact, I could see having several modes:
GRID-ON- relative snap
GRID-ON- absolute snap

OPTION: LASSO SELECTION- grid always off (pretty please?)

Then with some modifier keys each type could be harnessed.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

It two ways of working that makes makes sense to different people. I never use relative mode, in any program. It seems awkward. It would be nice to have an option.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

stubbsonic wrote:However, typing COMMAND-0 then ENTER isn't really all that painful.-- BUT, if I had to do it all the time, I'd want a preference for that.
In case people have new workarounds for this, I would like to clarify where the 'pain' comes in.

Often things need to be quantized to different values, or need to be quantized to the next-nearest grid marker. This requires quite a few steps beyond cmd-0->enter. It also ends up being a bit of trial and error. Doing that repeatedly really adds up, unless there is some clever workaround that I am not aware of.

There are other times when you may want to drag something to a 'distant' location. With an absolute grid this is integrated in the dragging process, without it (as far as I can tell) it is at least 3 or more steps.

Hopefully that gives a better idea of what makes using the quantize window an unacceptable workflow for some people.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote::deadhorse:

...In addition, super fine tuning can be done with the nudge command.
There is a preference setting that controls how much the nudge command moves at a time when you hit the arrow keys. IIRC, the setting is 5 thousandths which is too much for me. Once I figured out where it was and how to set it to 1 thousanths, it became one of my most used tools in editing.

I work on a lot of non-quantized audio and between the nudge command and being able to drag the edge of a sound bite, I never have to use a Fade unless I am going for an effect. I find a place where two wave forms cross naturally and do a hard edit. I haven't had to cover my hard edit points with a Fade since I discovered this technique.

In DP 7 and 8, I had to look up where that preference is now found. It has changed over the years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:In DP 7 and 8, I had to look up where that preference is now found. It has changed over the years.
You can set Nudge amount in the Grid Information Bar in the edit windows, or in the Snap Information window in the sidebars of the CW. Setting it up is a bit convoluted. You have to go to Info Bar preferences to get it to show in the edit window, and to Configure Info Bar in the Snap Information window Mini Menu to make sure Nudge is included in the Snap Information Window and Grid Information Bar.

That also gives you a place to turn snap to grid, marker, and beat on and off.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8