Importing multiple audio files into DP 5.13 all at the same

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ozmentdws
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Importing multiple audio files into DP 5.13 all at the same

Post by ozmentdws »

I've seen some colleagues import 20 audio files into Pro Tools all at one time. I do a lot of remote mixing so not having to drag and drop one file at a time would be really nice for me. Is it possible to import more than one file at a time in DP 5.13?

Thanks!
Emerald City Productions
http://www.myspace.com/emeraldcityproductionsllc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G5 dual 2.7, DP 5.13, 828mkII,
Bowman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Importing multiple audio files into DP 5.13 all at the same

Post by Bowman »

Yes. DP5 manual p.113
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Bowman wrote:Yes. DP5 manual p.113
Most excellent thing that manual.....
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I love posts that can be answered with page numbers from the manual. It just feels 'right.' 8)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

666 wrote:I love posts that can be answered with page numbers from the manual. It just feels 'right.' 8)
especially when the original poster, never replies or posts again :wink:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
ozmentdws

Post by ozmentdws »

Thanks for the page number guys. I should have been more specific I guess. Sorry for that...

I was wondering if you can have all the soundbites load into the sequencer automatically into tracks set up in a template. Unless I am missing something, you still need to drag and drop each individual soundbite into a track right?

PT will load the audio files into tracks and auto name them and even do things like turn L and R files with the same name (like Guitar L.wav and Guitar R.wav) into a combined stereo track to save resources.

Thanks for the advice!
Emerald City Productions
http://www.myspace.com/emeraldcityproductionsllc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:roll:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Well now, there could be something to this. I kind of like the idea of dropping a batch of audio files into the TO or SE with an option of having them automatically splitting themselves out into individual tracks.

The batch import does work fine in DP, but all audio goes to one track (in TO and SE). Sorting through the Soundbites Window requires some good spectacles and a bit of patience (it's good for building character, though).

Okay, I'm going to go RTM to figure out if there is a way to automatically split out audio track layers into individuals.

The only "wash" I can anticipate is that DP wouldn't be able to assess the content of the audio. Say, for example, you were importing a project of 48 tracks. If you had 10 tracks of a drum kit--- your overhead track could be automatically assigned to track 27 and your snare could end up on track 43, and so on. Background vocals could be all over the place. It would still require some considerable manual reorganization.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I drag files from the finder into the track column. Done. Well, except for housekeeping.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Same here. Drag and drop. I'm not so pressed for time that need to drop multple files and have them in separate tracks nor do I always want them in separate tracks. More often than not, I want them in the same track so it's not a bug for me, it's a feature. ;) Yet hitting some optional key to force them into separate tracks might be a good option for some. Just because PT does it one way doesn't necessarily mean DP is 'doing it wrong.'
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Same here. Drag and drop. I'm not so pressed for time that need to drop multple files and have them in separate tracks nor do I always want them in separate tracks. More often than not, I want them in the same track so it's not a bug for me, it's a feature. ;) Yet hitting some optional key to force them into separate tracks might be a good option for some. Just because PT does it one way doesn't necessarily mean DP is 'doing it wrong.'
Oh, I meant I drag them into the gray part of the T.O. window where the name column appears. When you drag and drop the files there, DP will separate them into individual tracks and manage their time stamps.

Heck, you can drop 200 files in there at once no problem.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
ozmentdws

Post by ozmentdws »

By T.O. you mean the tracks window right? I'll try this in DP 5. Thanks for the tip.
Emerald City Productions
ozmentdws

Post by ozmentdws »

Tried this and it works great. Requires a little set up ahead of time (name your files in a way that will group them how you want them before the import) because DP creates the tracks in the order the files are arranged in your folder.
Emerald City Productions
buzzsmith

Re: Importing multiple audio files into DP 5.13 all at the s

Post by buzzsmith »

A few years late, but it may help someone Googling.

I received a project today with 37 deinterleaved Wave files and absolutely could not get this drag and drop feature to work at all into a blank template. Bit and sample rate and 29.97 DF set just like the files that I wished to batch import and have DP create the tracks and names.

The only option that worked was from the Soundbites window and importing one at a time.

I read the manual :rtfm: , found this topic and a MOTU video on YouTube.

NOTHING WORKED!

Then I glanced at the open folder on the desktop that contained the 37 files and had a hunch...

They all ended in .WAV. So, what the heck? I changed a few to lowercase .wav and it worked! :woohoo:

Just sharing!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

kemccarthy1

Re: Importing multiple audio files into DP 5.13 all at the s

Post by kemccarthy1 »

Since the most recent post was just yesterday maybe I'm not off on this by much since it seems to be the exact same problem. This is the second time I've tried to drag and drop multiple wav files into DP without success.
The import seems to go ok with the processing window popping up, running through each file with no error reported. After the processing time, the soundbites are there and a track has been created for each file.

However!

There is no indication of the audio files in the track window. If I create a track manually then explicitly drag a wav file into the track, then the audio appears but then it creates a second soundbite. No better luck using the File/Import Audio... menu item either.

I know I'm doing something wrong but don't know what it is. Surely by 9.51 I should be able to simply batch drag and drop .wav files from a Finder window and have them imported into separate tracks, no?
iMac (Retina 5K, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 running 10.13.6 / 64GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4/ DP 9.52 / Cubase 10.0.15 / UAD Apollo x8p / MOTU 828es / MOTU 8pre / Mackie 1604VLZ4 / Yamaha S80