MOTU TechLink solved my patches problem!!! RTFM!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU TechLink solved my patches problem!!! RTFM!!

Post by FMiguelez »

This is one of VERY few TechLinks I've opened at MOTU, because I always thought it was futile.
I was wrong!

It took them a little long (a few days) to respond, but their answer was short and to the point, and more importantly, I understood what I was doing wrong, and how to fix it THE EASY WAY.

If you followed my Roland patches thread, you will remember that the problem was solved, but the HARD way.
Adriano was extremely nice and helpful. He helped me solve my problem, but I never understood what the ROOT issue was.

This is the thread:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=40876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I solved the problem using Cherry Picker.

BUT:
This is what Mike from MOTU told me in his answer to my TechLink:
Mike from MOTU wrote:State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'
Hi Fernando,

Go to Studio > Bundles > MIDI Devices. Double-click on the JV-2080 that's listed and click on the Patches tab. This window allows you to select the patches for your expansion cards.

For more information, reference pg. 180-181 of the DP 7 user guide.
It's THAT simple!
In 2 minutes I redid that from scratch, and it works like a charm.

That is actually the answer I was looking for, because previously, you just had to double click in an "extras" file to get them. I guess that changed with DP7, because now it's done that way.

The point is that now I know the answer to the root of the problem, and how to solve it easily.
I thought I'd post this just in case someone else may benefit from this too.

And this proves that the TechLinks GET READ and DO HELP solve problems. Granted. It took them a few days to answer, but they hit the nail.

So now, I know the proper and quick way to do it thanks to Mike from MOTU, and I also know about (and how to use) Cherry Picker thanks to Adriano.

And the answer was right there infront of me in THE MANUAL!
So, I say to myself: Fernando: RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

My excuse for not doing so is that my iguana was so immersed into the manual when I took her picture for that thread, than she didn't want to give it back to me :lol:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p340773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope I get it back!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
new-knee

Re: MOTU TechLink solved my patches problem!!! RTFM!!

Post by new-knee »

Thanks FM,

I was on with tech support for 40 minutes and never got an adequate answer. To their credit they tried several things including sending me a different midnam file. Your answer has corrected my problem as well and so thank you for posting!

new-knee
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

new-knee wrote:Thanks FM,

I was on with tech support for 40 minutes and never got an adequate answer. To their credit they tried several things including sending me a different midnam file. Your answer has corrected my problem as well and so thank you for posting!

new-knee
Hey, New-Knee... That's AWESOME!
I so glad you found this helpful and you fixed your problem.

I've been reading the manual because there's just SO much NEW stuff in there. I actually LOVE the new MIDI Devices tab in the Audio Bundles window.
I would NEVER had thought that window held the key to fix our problem until Mike mentioned it.

And just like that, there are so many other things that changed (for the better) that we need to get used to and get to explore.

So let us get a cup of coffee, and RTFM! :lol:

BTW, I hope you are feeling better health-wise.
Take care, and happy patch setting :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You have the manual? Can I borrow it? My frog ate mine. He'll eat anything!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You have the manual? Can I borrow it? My frog ate mine. He'll eat anything!

I see you were using the PDF manual.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

just fired up my 1080 for some Christmas songs & was wondering where those patches were!

glad to find the answer here :woohoo: - would've never thought to look in the big DP book!
:rtfm:
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

"Shooshie" [/quote]
I see you were using the PDF manual.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MacBook Pro 8,3 2.3GHz i7 16GB Ram 10.11.6 , DP 7.2.4 & DP8 , Ultralite, Micro Express, Altiverb 6, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack etc...
Andy5
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Andy5 »

How i can use it now?
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'll have to try this.

I only have 6 or so remaining MIDI modules and, even though I'm not using DP 8 right now, I noticed that after it's install it changed a few things that I was used to in DP 7.22.

One of which is that I lost the patch lists for a Yamaha P-50, my old TX-7 and the Roland P-330.

The JD-990, JV-1080 and the Proteus 2000 retained theirs.

I'll give it a shot later. (I do have Cherry Picker, too.)

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

danika
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by danika »

buzzsmith wrote:
(I do have Cherry Picker, too.)

Buzzy
Is there an Intel Mac update for Cherry Picker? I've used it in the past, but the latest version I can find (2.16) won't run on OS X 10.7.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

danika wrote: Is there an Intel Mac update for Cherry Picker? I've used it in the past, but the latest version I can find (2.16) won't run on OS X 10.7.
I just downloaded 2.62 and it opens on my Intel system, but I'm 10.6.8.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Worked for me on my new SSD, ML and DP 8.06.

The expansion cards did show up in the Bundles>MIDI Devices window and when selected now show up as accessible patches.

However, 3 old modules are showing defaults only (Patch 1, Patch 2, etc.) but that was/is also the case with my older 10.6.8/DP 8.01 system.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

buzzsmith wrote:
danika wrote: Is there an Intel Mac update for Cherry Picker? I've used it in the past, but the latest version I can find (2.16) won't run on OS X 10.7.
I just downloaded 2.62 and it opens on my Intel system, but I'm 10.6.8.

Buzzy
Yep... Cherry Picker won't run on Lion or later. :( Major bummer and so I keep Snow Leopard around just so I can make a patchlist with Cherry Picker and then copy it over to the right place on my Mavericks machine(s). I guess it must need Rosetta. :(

Anyway, this might be a prime case for some MOTUnation activism, ala the AlphaTrack situation and see if we can contact the developer of Cherry Picker about updating the app to run on modern Mac OSes. It would be a major boon.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

James, I replied to your PM, but I don't see it in my Sent folder.

More later!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

buzzsmith wrote:James, I replied to your PM, but I don't see it in my Sent folder.

More later!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No prob. Here's the topic I created! :)

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=57752

Maybe lightning will strike twice and we can pull off a miracle. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!