Kontakt "Send MIDI to outside world"

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Kontakt "Send MIDI to outside world"

Post by labman »

Anyone know how to use this option inside DP? We wish to print the output of some Kontakt scripts to our DP MIDI tracks. Dont know how to route or use Send MIDI to outside world at all though.

Thanks.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
labman

Re: Kontakt "Send MIDI to outside world"

Post by labman »

really latent BUMP ... anyone?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cuttime »

I'm nowhere near DP at the moment, but I believe that if you enable Multi Record, you should be able to publish the MIDI output to another track.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cuttime wrote:I'm nowhere near DP at the moment, but I believe that if you enable Multi Record, you should be able to publish the MIDI output to another track.
I don't think that will work for getting MIDI output of Kontakt scripts into a DP MIDI track. I've been using Kontakt since the original program came out and I don't know that it can even publish the MIDI from it's scripts to the outside world. I'll ask over in the NI forums and report back when I know more but I don't expect a quick answer as they don't have a lot of traffic over there.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

This is an update. Found these two threads over in the NI forums. The first one just deals with getting MIDI out from Kontakt and the second one deals with that plus MIDI output from K5 scripts.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... rd.233703/
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... st-1195831

Basically you do this in K5:
Options->Engine->Send MIDI to outside world
and this:
enable "script generated notes" and "script generated CCs" in the aforementioned menu in Options
Understand that this might not work in all daws and I haven't tried it in DP.
labman

Post by labman »

Hey there. Thanks for the help. It is DP not working with the 'send MIDI to outside world' that I am concerned about. We tried it in 2010 and couldn't get it to work. Wondering if anyone knew if it works now, or workarounds.
stoecklem

Post by stoecklem »

I haven't tried with Kontakt, but DP 8.07 had no problem sending MIDI out of independence and BFD 2
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

labman wrote:Hey there. Thanks for the help. It is DP not working with the 'send MIDI to outside world' that I am concerned about. We tried it in 2010 and couldn't get it to work. Wondering if anyone knew if it works now, or workarounds.
If you have Kontakt 5 have you tried it now? That's the only way to know if it works on your setup. There are too many times I've been able to do things that other people can't so even if it worked for me it might not work for you. This is not a function that I really have a use for.
labman

Post by labman »

You can certainly turn on 'MIDI to outside world' inside the Kontakt AU. But I dont see Kontakts' MIDI outs published anywhere so that they can be used as inputs to other tracks :banghead: . Color me stumped. Or maybe I just dont know where to look.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

labman wrote:You can certainly turn on 'MIDI to outside world' inside the Kontakt AU. But I dont see Kontakts' MIDI outs published anywhere so that they can be used as inputs to other tracks :banghead: . Color me stumped. Or maybe I just dont know where to look.
I know from what I read over at the NI forums that this might not work in all daws and DP being the Rodney Dangerfield of daws I'm not surprised it doesn't work at least for the au version. I wonder if the vst version of K5 would work?

For the other tracks you've tried have you tried using an instrument track and feeding that from K5?
labman

Post by labman »

musicman691 wrote:
For the other tracks you've tried have you tried using an instrument track and feeding that from K5?
Doesn't seem to work either
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

labman wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
Doesn't seem to work either
Verified here for both au and vst versions. It does work in ProTools 11.3.1 but it's a real clunky implementation at that. Ordinarily I'd suggest getting in touch with NI tech support but I've had the sad experience they don't really know their product and the various daws their stuff works with.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cuttime »

I can't get it to work either. Plugs that publish MIDI out in DP provide a "DP Output" under Interapplication MIDI, however I can't get one to show as a track input.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
labman

Post by labman »

That is good to know cuttime. And thanks for verifying on your ends Jack et al. Appreciated.