CME UF-80 remote transport controls

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bricker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CME UF-80 remote transport controls

Post by bricker »

Hey guys,
Can anybody explain to me how to set up the remote sequence controls (play, record, etc.) on a CME UF-80 keyboard to trigger the transport controls in DP 6? The buttons are already properly sending out MIDI CC information (for example, "Play" is CC #119), and I've assigned them properly in the "Commands" list, but it still won't control the transport.

I've read the Tutorial posted about doing this with the Axiom keyboard, but it's so different that I felt this deserved it's own thread.

Thanks!
-Bryan
charlesparente

Re: CME UF-80 remote transport controls

Post by charlesparente »

Is 'Master Master' checked at the very top of the commands window?

Are you connecting your UF keyboard to your computer by usb cable, or are you connecting it via MIDI cable from the MIDI out jack
to a MIDI interface?

If connecting by USB cable direct to the Mac, you might need to create a 'dummy' interface inside Audio MIDI Setup.

Check James' tutorial at the top of this forum where he details how to do that.

Good luck,
Charles
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
bricker

Post by bricker »

Thanks. I forgot to specify that I'm connecting the UF-80 to my computer with MIDI via a MOTU Ultralite mk-3 Firewire interface.

Master Master wasn't checked, but I just checked it after reading your post and got the same result. I also have Transport Master checked.

And while we're at it, I may as well mention that I'm on a MBP 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running Snow Leopard and DP 6.02 currently.

Thanks again!
bricker

Post by bricker »

An update: After reading James' tutorial, I created the "dummy" device in Audio/MIDI setup, and can now sort-of control the transport remotely. However, the stop button "sticks", which seems to be a problem that a lot of people are having. I think it's because it recognizes the On velocity, but doesn't pick up any Off velocity. I'll look further into it and see if I can get a fix for it.
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I use the same keyboard in my studio. The transport controls are nice, but I never got the rewind and stop buttons to work without sticking. I think it's a DP issue, not the CME keyboard. I eventually just made a quickeys command that takes my CME MIDI for the stop button, and spits out the stop key command. Works well.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't really have time for a lengthy reply now but in the setup for the other keyboards you have to use a CC that is a switch. I know it's easier to call it "a DP thing" but it may be a misconfiguration.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:I don't really have time for a lengthy reply now but in the setup for the other keyboards you have to use a CC that is a switch. I know it's easier to call it "a DP thing" but it may be a misconfiguration.
In other words, uncheck the preference "Switches are Continuous Data" in the Continuous Data panel.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bricker

Post by bricker »

I turned off that preference, and I still get the same problem with the "sticky" keys.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Short of me getting my hands on your keyboard, I don't think I can figure this out remotely. Maybe there's a downloadable user manual somewhere.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bricker

Post by bricker »

I'm willing to accept that it's a DP issue, since my Oxygen 8 produces the same results.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bricker wrote:I'm willing to accept that it's a DP issue, since my Oxygen 8 produces the same results.
Seems people are always willing to accept that it's DP's fault. However I had an Oxygen 49 that I made work with no problems, so at least in the case of your Oxygen it's probably misconfigured. See the tutorial I posted. You can set up the Oxygen using Enigma. On the other hand i found that Enigma progrmmimg doesn't always "stick" with Axiom controllers which must be set up for transport control via the front panel.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It may be at least partly a DP issue, James. I've had some very strange things going on, though I have reason to believe it may also be an OSX issue. (or something else wildly unexplainable at this time) I think there is some kind of USB input issue. To locate it is going to take some people with more instruments and/or software at their disposal than I have, that's for sure. Here are things I've noticed "sticking" lately while using DP:

mouse clicks -- I click on a note and release. The note plays for about 1 second. My click lasted only maybe a tenth of a second. If I'm selecting a lot of notes, clicking rapidly from note to note, I'll often end up dragging the ones already selected and have to undo. The click stuck for a second, causing the notes to follow the mouse.

Option Key Stick -- sometimes after releasing the option key, I make a drag and get a copy. If I wait, the key releases and the cursor changes back. Others have reported the option key sticking, some of which seem to be continual.

Control-number-key Stick -- when switching from "Space" to "Space" (apple's Spaces, which gives me multiple virtual monitors) sometimes the keys will remain stuck. This one is harder to deal with. The little "Spaces" symbol that appears when you're swapping spaces remain on the screen and will not go away. Nothing I can do will make it go away. I have a suspicion as to why: It is the keyboard that must provide the release, and when that symbol appears, the Mac quits listening to the keyboard for anything but a number key, to switch to that space. Thus, I can still switch spaces with the keyboard, but nothing else. When it first happened, I had to shut down the computer using the mouse in order to get control again. Now I've learned that I can turn the Dashboard off, and the dock will quit (and instantly start again) and the symbol will go away and give me back control again until I have to switch spaces.

While at first this happened only in Digital Performer, it has more recently happened in other applications as well. (when DP wasn't running) So, the problem is actually happening somewhere else in OSX, but it may be triggered by something that DP is throwing out there. It would be hard to troubleshoot, because DP is always running on my system at some point in every boot of the OS. I'd have to see it happen before I boot DP to know that it's coming from a clean boot of OSX, and that hasn't happened yet.

It's intermittent. I'd gone for almost a week without the problem, then yesterday I started getting the sticky mouse thing, and then the Spaces Switcher stuck. After turning off the Dashboard twice, it finally did not bother me anymore.

So, it's not a DP problem per-se, but it seems to involve DP. There are a thousand things it could be, maybe more.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
vismus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vismus »

Just purchased a new CME-UF80 via EekBay for short $$$ and am experiencing the issues above. Everything looks correct in "Commands" but am not getting any response (via MIDI input. Tried USB initially, but got nothing there as well.)

Those controllers are staring me in the face and would love to be able to use them. CME has totally dried up the support area for their legacy equipment, which doesn't bode well for them.

HELP!!!

Tommie
obtmusic.com