AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Post by amplidood »

Sorry guys. Life has simply not allowed me to get back to more work on getting the themes into 9. Hope to soon.
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

No problem, life can be tricky.
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

They're going to have to come up with a Grammy for Best DAW Theme, or we're going to lose you to better offers! Dang! It's such a terrible thing when you're TOO successful!

:unicorn:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Successfulness is not my problem, unfortunately. The task of redesigning every theme I have and have all new versions work correctly with Retina screens is just too much time to invest. I'm going to have announce the end of development for AmpGUImods. The financial return just doesn't justify it anymore, and it overwhelms me every time I put any thought at all to it.

Thanks to all my supporters and fans. It was a fantastic learning experience, and I hope someday it could make sense to engage in something like this again.

Best to all of you.
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

Thanks so much for all your great work over the years!
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Thanks for the inspiration to develop my own themes. The Retina stuff does more than double the work so understand your dilemma especially as the economics are not worth the time and effort you put in.

Any chance you can release some of the components of your themes that we can all experiment with?

I don't intend selling mine (who'd buy them?) - but I would love to have some of your png files (buttons and tabs etc.) to play with and tweak my own themes.

I still tweak a bit from time to time although I am mostly making music. Shame to leave some of the png's unused on your site - and happy to ping back any themes of mine for you to do what you wish with.

Anyway - thanks for the inspiration and good luck for the future.
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks You!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

amplidood wrote:I'm wrapping up 13 straight days in the studio working on a young new artist's record. This girl is a *powerful* vocalist. Can't wait for you all to hear her.

I've been tasked with all the editing and rough mixing tasks. I started the first song with Melodyne, doing a verse and chorus. She hated it. Said she sounded digital and edited. Mind you, I wasn't doing any different moves that I normally would have. Well, I loaded the vocals into DP, did the same work using just DP's pitch, and the result was completely different. She couldn't believe any editing had been done at all. All the things in her voice she wanted to hear were still there. Playing it back on the big speakers, it blows my mind that PureDSP is such old technology and still continues to blow away anything that has come after. AutoTune, Melodyne, ReVoice... they all have their purposes. When it comes to the most natural sounding vocal editing method, however, DP is STILL KING.
I had the exact same response from a 20 year old singer I am producing. It's like they have radar to the melodyne sound and don't like it... He LOVES the sound on DP... By the way is your mouse still doing the watussi or are you not on Sierra?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

amplidood wrote:Successfulness is not my problem, unfortunately. The task of redesigning every theme I have and have all new versions work correctly with Retina screens is just too much time to invest. I'm going to have announce the end of development for AmpGUImods. The financial return just doesn't justify it anymore, and it overwhelms me every time I put any thought at all to it.

Thanks to all my supporters and fans. It was a fantastic learning experience, and I hope someday it could make sense to engage in something like this again.

Best to all of you.
So sorry to hear this, but I understand. I wonder how hard they might be to modernize for non-Retina systems? I might try and hack some of the ones I really like to get them to work on DP 9.1x. Retina doesn't really mean anything to me. But again... I totally understand. Maybe you might see if MOTU might buy rights to your themes, include them in the standard themes and take on the updating themselves.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Happy to have a go at hacking some of the Themes for you Andy to get them working on DP9 and for Retina - then you can still distribute them as you see fit.

The Retina issue is mainly that most of the image files have to be duplicated @2x and they are presumably at least twice the size for more detail for the Retina 5K screens - so it is over twice the work if you want a Theme that works on all people's setups.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Maybe you might see if MOTU might buy rights to your themes, include them in the standard themes and take on the updating themselves.
That would be the best. Personally I'm a huge fan of None More Black and Carbon Fiber (I work with the lights almost off mostly), so I never had a need for other themes, but it's obvious I'm in a minority and MOTU could benefit from buying Amplidoods themes.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:
James Steele wrote: Maybe you might see if MOTU might buy rights to your themes, include them in the standard themes and take on the updating themselves.
That would be the best. Personally I'm a huge fan of None More Black and Carbon Fiber (I work with the lights almost off mostly), so I never had a need for other themes, but it's obvious I'm in a minority and MOTU could benefit from buying Amplidoods themes.
They really could. And I suspect they could work something out. I don't think Amplidood would drive to hard a bargain, right? :D I think it would be a good move by MOTU for them to talk to him about it.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:
They really could. And I suspect they could work something out. I don't think Amplidood would drive to hard a bargain, right? :D I think it would be a good move by MOTU for them to talk to him about it.
Might be worth emailing MOTU directly about. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Might be. ;) In the end it's up to Andy, but it would be a shame for them not to live on.

waxman

Post by waxman »

I SOOO missed the cool Andy Themes when I went to dp9. Andy's site and Gaz were very helpful in being able to manipulate MOTU themes. Mixing and matching different element of MOTU themes has been cool but nothing as cool as the vibe of the AmpGUI DP Themes. No replacement for creative talent and Andy has is going on. I first time I got his stuff on DP it was like getting a new pgm. Like Canavan I loved the dark themes. I am using Plasma but changed the counters to Blue. There are still some things on Plasma that are not as cool as Amp GUI's. Maybe they could get you to do creative design and those guys do the programming and art creation. Thanks for all the cool themes and getting MOTU to up their game with Themes.
waxman