AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
groove
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AmpGUI7 (always updating first post)

Post by groove »

After a full day intensive session with Simple 1.1, I'm in heaven.
I have no need for MOTU's official GUI anymore, Simple is the standard GUI for now on.
You really did a gorgeous and very professional mod; it's incredibly pleasant for the eye. I know you'll probably want to refine it but don't loose the clean state of it and the color chart please.

I went to the MOTU GUI after the session and it felt awkward to me; too bright and cluttered. One gets use pretty fast to good things I guess.

For me the choice is simple..it's Simple!

Million Thanks to you Amplihood.

BTW I'm using James Steele Transparent fader mod, posted earlier in this thread; kudos to you James!
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

Considering how skinable DP is, I hope that MOTU takes note of your work and makes skins a 7.x feature. It really doesn't appear to be a difficult feature to add.

In any case, I'm so happy with DP7 and these skins it's crazy. Thanks again... again.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

Great job on the simple, really nice. Thanks.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

groove wrote:BTW I'm using James Steele Transparent fader mod, posted earlier in this thread; kudos to you James!
Nah... kudos to Amplidood for creating the basis to tweak from! And all of us... I think we're hammering out something pretty cool here and it's really been a product of ideas many of us have contributed since DP 6.0 first landed and we started tinkering with this.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

A lot of ideas that you would think would make MOTU stand up and notice. But then again, there's more under the hood than what you see in a mod ;)

Think I'll make a slightly lighter version of Gold next....
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

I wish I knew how to do this.. How are you guys doing these mods. Are you importing into photoshop or something? I would like to try some of this :) :)
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

donreynolds wrote:I wish I knew how to do this.. How are you guys doing these mods. Are you importing into photoshop or something? I would like to try some of this :) :)
The GUI consists (mostly) of 2 things...

1. The .png files in the Images folder.
2. The color parameters in the Default_Style.xml folder.

I've included an almost complete reference guide of what exactly the .xml file controls with the latest mods. The .png files can be edited with Photoshop, Gimp, whatever. I've been using Gimp (open source) and love it. I've actually learned a hell of a lot about graphic design and editing, not knowing a damn thing when I started.
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

Thanks, Andy, I will try to work with it some.. I used to be fair with Photo shop, but I have not use it in a long time. I used to print t-shirts and hats and do the graphics for the printing. Like you, I did not know anything about editing graphics, but I learned by doing.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:A lot of ideas that you would think would make MOTU stand up and notice. But then again, there's more under the hood than what you see in a mod ;)
Indeed there is. And just learning what files do what is hard enough. Then you've got to come up with a consistent, coherent design, and change all the right things so that they fit together, both stylistically and mechanically. Pixels have to match, and you have to know where to make those changes so that they will. It's an impressive amount of work.
amplidood wrote:Think I'll make a slightly lighter version of Gold next....
I vote for brighter lines in the Tracks Overview window; perhaps more definition in all the lines. I think the shading of the gold windows, for the most part, is fine as is. There just needs to be some kind of guides for the eye to separate track from track, column from column, window from window. It needn't be much. But I'm doing what I told myself I wouldn't do! It's just irresistible to offer free advice! Sorry... :roll:

Of course, I still say that the Gold Mod is an amazing piece of work. Inspired. Geez; I sound like I'm describing the Sistine Chapel. But keeping a context on things; it's really a nice mod. I'd just like some lines!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Shooshie wrote:I vote for brighter lines in the Tracks Overview window; perhaps more definition in all the lines. I think the shading of the gold windows, for the most part, is fine as is. There just needs to be some kind of guides for the eye to separate track from track, column from column, window from window. It needn't be much. But I'm doing what I told myself I wouldn't do! It's just irresistible to offer free advice! Sorry... :roll:

Hey man, you are just confirming my initial theory. Everyone has different tastes. I'm putting a section in the first post for my Default_Style reference guide so people can make whatever little tweaks they want.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I was thinking about James' insert thing, and probably what might be a middle ground would be just slightly toning down the 3d look on the empty inserts - I'm one of those guys who need the obvious, so I like the inserts.

Another thing I love from Amp's other mods is the info bar stands out clear from the background - is this possible in the simple mod as well?

thanks again!
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

jlaudon wrote:I was thinking about James' insert thing, and probably what might be a middle ground would be just slightly toning down the 3d look on the empty inserts - I'm one of those guys who need the obvious, so I like the inserts.

Another thing I love from Amp's other mods is the info bar stands out clear from the background - is this possible in the simple mod as well?

thanks again!
Yeah, I can make it very slightly lighter with a lot of transparency so elements and numbers at the end don't get overlapped.
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

jlaudon wrote:I was thinking about James' insert thing, and probably what might be a middle ground would be just slightly toning down the 3d look on the empty inserts - I'm one of those guys who need the obvious, so I like the inserts.
You might try borrowing the insert graphics from Dark Complete for this. I haven't checked but I assume the inserts are a self-contained file.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I did do that, but as Amp mentioned, there is a cut off at the end of the info bar, but it still is usable. The other option I'll try is to slightly darken the ruler background.

As was mentioned before, because of all the white in the original, there seems to be some sloppy (or unseen when designed) graphic work - hence I'd think if MOTU added skins, they'd have to clean all this up first.
Last edited by jlaudon on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

groove wrote:After a full day intensive session with Simple 1.1, I'm in heaven.
I have no need for MOTU's official GUI anymore, Simple is the standard GUI for now on.
You really did a gorgeous and very professional mod; it's incredibly pleasant for the eye. I know you'll probably want to refine it but don't loose the clean state of it and the color chart please.

I went to the MOTU GUI after the session and it felt awkward to me; too bright and cluttered. One gets use pretty fast to good things I guess.

For me the choice is simple..it's Simple!

Million Thanks to you Amplihood.

BTW I'm using James Steele Transparent fader mod, posted earlier in this thread; kudos to you James!
Thanks so much groove! And I think I'm going to definitely change my name to Amplihood and start selling drugs in front of my house. :lol:

Have you joined my list?