AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Post by amplidood »

It must have to do with the fact that I'm on a Retina MB Pro and it's looking for all these new x2 files. That's going to take me a lot of time, making larger, higher resolution versions of everything.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

amplidood wrote:It must have to do with the fact that I'm on a Retina MB Pro and it's looking for all these new x2 files. That's going to take me a lot of time, making larger, higher resolution versions of everything.
Maybe Apple provides a utility to create new versions from old?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

bayswater wrote:
amplidood wrote:It must have to do with the fact that I'm on a Retina MB Pro and it's looking for all these new x2 files. That's going to take me a lot of time, making larger, higher resolution versions of everything.
Maybe Apple provides a utility to create new versions from old?
No, I'll have to make entirely new graphics files since the originals were created specifically for those lower resolutions and can't be upscaled. Well, they can just be doubled for now, I suppose, but I will eventually need to create new hi-res versions to take advantage of the Retina screens.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

amplidood wrote:No, I'll have to make entirely new graphics files since the originals were created specifically for those lower resolutions and can't be upscaled. Well, they can just be doubled for now, I suppose, but I will eventually need to create new hi-res versions to take advantage of the Retina screens.
Bad news. I only made a few small changes to the Motools theme, and don't have Retina, but even that took about an hour to update.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

For Retina displays, wouldn't you just take the image files, open them in Photoshop, and double the resolution?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Yes, I can do that with Preview very easily. I'm going to do that for each theme as a temporary fix, but will slowly create larger versions of everything to take advantage of the Retina. VERY slowly ;)
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

For anyone interested in getting their themes compatible with Retina screen setups and don't want to wait around for me to get to it, here's what you have to do...

Go to DP's Themes folder (easily done from DP's preferences). Find the theme you wish to work on. Duplicate (command-D) it. Rename it, or don't if you wish. Right click on it, choose "Show Package Contents" and navigate to the Resources folder. There you will find all the graphics that make up DP's GUI. For each and every .png file in there, you must do the following...

1. Duplicate the file.
2. On the duplicate, replace " copy" at the end of the filename with "@2x".
3. Open the duplicate file with Preview (should do that just by double clicking it).
4. In Preview, Choose "Adjust Size..." in the tools menu.
5. Increase the size of the file by 200%.
6. Save.

This will allow the same graphics to appear as they always have. The only issue I ran into was in the Tab bar graphics. Since I am increasing low-res graphics, this introduces a small repeated artifact into the Tab bars. It's not too hard to fix, but it takes a little graphic know-how. I'll post how to do that if anyone is interested.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maybe this can be done in batch mode with GraphicConverter from Lemke.
davidh

Post by davidh »

...also:

There is an old Applescript called “Replace Text in Item Names” for batch editing filenames which still works. Apple used to include it in Finder Scripts, but no longer I believe. I use it all the time for removing the “.mg” from merged audio files when exporting to other DAW’s. Works great and is a big timesaver.
For those who don’t have it, you can download it here
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think GraphicConverter will do a name change as part of the batch process. I've used it for example, to change the size of a load of jpegs and save them under a new name in a different place.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I do all that with Path Finder. I didn't want to rename them all at once for fear of losing track, but I suppose if I did all that work outside in another folder it wouldn't matter.

So Graphic Converter will do batch upscaling?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

amplidood wrote:I do all that with Path Finder. I didn't want to rename them all at once for fear of losing track, but I suppose if I did all that work outside in another folder it wouldn't matter.

So Graphic Converter will do batch upscaling?
I haven't checked that specifically. But I have taken folders of pictures, done a simple edit and saved the edits pictures in another folder. I think the manual is downloadable, and it's shareware so you can probably try it out.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:So Graphic Converter will do batch upscaling?
Yes. Graphic Convertor has a long list of things it will do in batch.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Oh wow, that's easy. Thanks for the tip guys. New temp 9 versions coming very soon that will be Retina enabled.

UPDATE:
So a few files just don't seem to like being batch converted. I have to do these the other way to make them work, so it's going to take extra time.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

So far I have Mellow, Sharp, Gotham, Clean, and Warmer ready to go. I've got my custom High Contrast version of Mellow going, too ;) I will release them soon.