AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AmpGUI DP Themes (now at AMPGUIMODS.NET)

Post by amplidood »

Anyone can do this to their themes at any time! I have instructions up on the site, me thinks.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

amplidood wrote:Anyone can do this to their themes at any time! I have instructions up on the site, me thinks.
I have to confess to using a customised version of your Mellow - still a favourite but I have made it lighter and added some tweaks here and there. But its a nice one to work with for long sessions.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've done likewise. I think I have 4 versions of Gotham to choose from, at least 3 of which were customized by me. Really, the amount of customization you can do right there in the Preferences window is pretty amazing. In addition to themes and track colors, you can choose meter colors, highlight color, and adjust the saturation and brightness of your track colors.

I use QuicKeys to try out a couple dozen track colors in a very short time, what with the double-trigger (sticky triggers) available on QuicKeys, making all your shortcuts recyclable so that you can use the same shortcuts for many things, depending on the 1st trigger.

It's unbelievable that MOTU gave us all this control! And I'm referring to the themes themselves at this point. You can replace any of the graphic elements of your interface with ones that you've colored, reshaped, or changed to suit you. If you want to go deep, Andy long ago published a chart of resources you can change, with highlighted elements shown in pictures so that you know what resources change what elements. I'm sure there's more he knows that we will probably never fully know, but anyone who wants to do what Andy does can certainly have a whack at it. YMMV!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:It's unbelievable that MOTU gave us all this control! And I'm referring to the themes themselves at this point. You can replace any of the graphic elements of your interface with ones that you've colored, reshaped, or changed to suit you. If you want to go deep, Andy long ago published a chart of resources you can change, with highlighted elements shown in pictures so that you know what resources change what elements
Shooshie
OK, talk to me like I'm 4.

I've gone in there and seen the resources, etc. But I'm just not able to affect the changes I want to.. it's just not easy enough. Sorry, I'm an idiot.

I just want to change a few things on certain themes.. like, I have "Night", one of Andy's. It's pretty complete in 8, but I want to "finish" it, by making the transport correct. I've tried a few times, with more failure than success.. I would love to be able to make "Night" become more "Day" in some areas, but I don't know how. I can't spend my time learning because I'm a working composer, not a stylist.

I really like "The Night Man Cometh", but wish all the backgrounds were a little brighter, and that the mixing desk was more like "Night" (which looks more like my actual console!).

I'm in the midst of a two-year-long experiment on which light temperature (K) is, creatively speaking, best for my studio.. I have so many LED 20 par lights in here, its insane. But it matters.. Likewise with the theme. I want to bond instantly with it, I want it to be a match. No disrespect to all the parties involved, but.. I haven't found it yet. I want to make my own.. but I want it to take the top-down approach.. I want to design the components myself, via "Mix and Match." Needs to be easy. I would pay (reasonably) for it.

Gotta make it stupid easy, this is music.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I wonder how hard it would be to get MOTU to allow different color settings for the TO and the SE. One doesn't necessarily work for the other. I LOVE the SE set up like this...

But I don't think it looks that great in the TO...

I'd even go so far to say that MIDI should have a separate setup, much like we have different backgrounds for audio versus MIDI in the SE.
Last edited by amplidood on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Never mind. I love it. The distinction between tracks and the flow of the eye from identifying what's on the track list to editing area is better than ever now.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Would you mind posting your color settings?
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Geez, I'm still figuring how to deal with image sizes on this retina monster.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

amplidood wrote:Image

Always wanted MOTU to put a numerical value to the right of those sliders so we could exactly reproduce our settings should we forget them someday.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:
amplidood wrote:Image

Always wanted MOTU to put a numerical value to the right of those sliders so we could exactly reproduce our settings should we forget them someday.
I take a screen shot of my settings like that. Then I can pull it up in QuickLook in the Finder, and match it pretty closely. I also make a screenshot of the names of my hard drives. My cat has changed the names of drives on several occasions (devastating to iTunes, iPhoto, and other apps with a library, and possibly aliases), so I pull up the picture (which rests in the first level of the hard drive, alongside the applications, system, and library folders) and make sure I spell all the names exactly like they were. Screenshots can serve as records of many preferences and settings.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Screenshot gurus here too. Saved us on MANY occasions!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I have to say that, by a mile, DP is my absolute favorite DAW to work with interface-wise and organizationally. Since getting this new laptop with the Retina Screen, I have really come to appreciate how well thought out the app is. Other apps are maybe more efficient with the CPU, offer different perspectives of sound, etc, but... every time I boot up DP with my GUI my eyes just go "aaaaaaaaaah". I still have to work in multiple DAWs for my own perfectionist/ADD/inspirational issues, but I think that makes me appreciate the time I do spend there even more.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Awesome Andy!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I also have to say, using this new inverted color scheme for my track colors has completely changed how DP feels to me. My eyes have never been more relaxed, and it's never been easier for me to see at a glance what's going on.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

There's a new high contrast variation of Mellow coming...