TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Midi maniac

Re: TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Post by Midi maniac »

I set up following the directions exactly...
The 'stop' button stops DP. BUT....I notice that the stop button on DP's transport bar remains depressed, and I can't press another button (like 'play' again) and have it work. When I hit the depressed 'stop' button manually with mouse on the transport bar order is restored.

Likewise, when I hit rewind, DP rewinds to the beginning of the sequence (great) but the rewind button on the transport bar remains depressed until toggled off manually with the mouse.

And when I hit the FF button it continues fast forwarding and cannot be stopped by any means, causing a defacto crash and I have to force quit DP.
Please advise!!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Be sure that you clicked out of the box while holding down the button when you were setting them up. If you release the button, then a value of "0" will end up in the box instead of 127. Double check that you followed the instructions correctly. Use Enigma to make sure that all boxes have the correct values in them.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Still haven't got the stop and rewind buttons working on my Axiom 61, however here's a little tip I've found helpful. I like to assign one one or more of my rotary controls on the keyboard to set my my sends levels to an aux channel for reverb, monitoring etc. The knobs are setup in very fine increments and allow for more precise adjustments. To do this, click on the mini menu in the mixing board layout and then select "attach MIDI controller". Then click on the volume knob on the send you want and it will have a red outline, move the rotary knob (or fader) on the Axiom and it will change to a green outline. Click outside the mixer for it to become active. You can detach it from the same mini menu using the appropriate command. This may be old news to many but I just started using it and it works quite nicely.

Rainman
DP 10.0, UA Apollo Two, UA Octo, far too many plugs.
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Rainman wrote:Still haven't got the stop and rewind buttons working on my Axiom 61, however here's a little tip I've found helpful. I like to assign one one or more of my rotary controls on the keyboard to set my my sends levels to an aux channel for reverb, monitoring etc. The knobs are setup in very fine increments and allow for more precise adjustments. To do this, click on the mini menu in the mixing board layout and then select "attach MIDI controller". Then click on the volume knob on the send you want and it will have a red outline, move the rotary knob (or fader) on the Axiom and it will change to a green outline. Click outside the mixer for it to become active. You can detach it from the same mini menu using the appropriate command. This may be old news to many but I just started using it and it works quite nicely.

Rainman
Hey thanks for the tip. The only thing is I like the numerical readout when I use the mouse on the sends. I did set up my mixer faders with the Axiom fader sliders as the readout is part of the fader.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Nice tip Rainman.
Seems easy enough to implement the rotary knobs on Axiom.

BTW, using Kontakt 3, my Axiom sliders seems its already set for a a few CC MIDI commands i.e. patch change, and other continuous instrument articulations. Was messing around (getting my head around K3) and recorded running simple sustain notes while moving sliders , knobs etc on the Axiom. I remember CC 71, 74, 76 popped up in the recorded MIDI track, and was confirmed by K3's auto MIDI assignment tab and the MIDI track in DP. Nifty :wink:
Need to research some more to utilize the functionality in its full capacity.

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
diegus

Post by diegus »

HI!!
And, how to run all parameters of dp5 VI´s with oxygen8 v2?

Thanks
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Hey James. Thanks for doing this. I do have a question. In my setup, along with DP, I sometimes use Logic and Pro Tools LE. Will these settings mess with the way the other programs interact with the Axiom 25? Thanks!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rosindabow wrote:Hey James. Thanks for doing this. I do have a question. In my setup, along with DP, I sometimes use Logic and Pro Tools LE. Will these settings mess with the way the other programs interact with the Axiom 25? Thanks!
I dunno. :?:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Saber540
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Saber540 »

New to this site, I am wondering if there is a way to set up transport parameters for Akai mpd32 and mpk49, i am guessing that these will be the same for both units. Thanks

Dual 1.8 G5 / Motu 828mk3 / Akai MPD32/MPK49 / Digital Performer / Ableton Live 7 / Logic studio....etc.....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rainman wrote:Still haven't got the stop and rewind buttons working on my Axiom 61, however here's a little tip I've found helpful. I like to assign one one or more of my rotary controls on the keyboard to set my my sends levels to an aux channel for reverb, monitoring etc. The knobs are setup in very fine increments and allow for more precise adjustments. To do this, click on the mini menu in the mixing board layout and then select "attach MIDI controller". Then click on the volume knob on the send you want and it will have a red outline, move the rotary knob (or fader) on the Axiom and it will change to a green outline. Click outside the mixer for it to become active. You can detach it from the same mini menu using the appropriate command. This may be old news to many but I just started using it and it works quite nicely.

Rainman
Well, I just found out that for some reason the settings just don't seem take with the Axiom. I bought a used Axiom 49 today and tried to follow the same instructions I posted here a long time ago for the Oxygen 49, and I had all sorts of problems. Turns out you have to manually program the transport buttons from the Axiom itself... using Enigma just doesn't work. No matter what you do, if you use Enigma, it seems you cannot get the toggle working right-- pressing down should send 127... releasing should send 0. Only by programming it from the front panel of the Axiom could I get this to work.

I'll post detailed instructions tomorrow if anybody wants, but it looks like this thread should really apply to the Oxygen line of keyboards for now.

rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Definitely - please post!!! Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll get to it later today or tomorrow... it's relatively simple fortunately. :) The shorthand is to select the transport button, then set:

Ctrler Assign = 146
Data 1 = (the controller number given in the original post, for example 24 for PLAY)
Data 2 = 000 (minimum value)
Data 3 = 127

Then repeat that for each of the transport buttons changing the value of Data 1 each time to the correct value for that particular transport control. If it's set up properly and you press the transport button and release, you should see the value of 127 appear quickly and then 0 when it's released. If it still shows "127" after releasing, THAT is why you're getting stuck down transport controls in DP.

Also be sure it's set up like shown in DP's Commands window... so that the controller value for each transport control is 127 and not 0. This means you can click the box, press and hold the corresponding transport control on the Axiom, and then CLICK THE MOUSE OFF THE BOX so as to close the value entry box BEFORE releasing the transport button.

dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Thanks for the time and effort.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Has anyone figured out why the stop and rewind commands stick on some keyboards? I just set up my CME UF-80 with this tutorial, and the play and record buttons work great. Stop and Rewind stick down until you mouse click on the transport controls. Looks like I am definitely sending a value of 127 on all transport buttons. Anything I'm missing here?

thanks,
Tripi
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
djsugarbear

Post by djsugarbear »

Hi, I just joined the Nation family........... this is great! I followed the instructions on how to control DP with the Axiom 25. However, I could not modify the numbers when I selected the Axiom 25 Default settings, I could only modify the values under the "Axiom 25 memory" settings. I was able to go through all of the instructions. I noticed that the buttons stick when selecting Stop or Play. Also I noticed that under the column where the name Auxiom 25 needs to be, is set to All. I had to manually input the name Axiom 25.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

SB

http://www.habanawaxproductions.com
http://www.djsugarbear.com
http://www.myspace.com/wabanawaxrecords