TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Post by James Steele »

djsugarbear wrote:Hi, I just joined the Nation family........... this is great! I followed the instructions on how to control DP with the Axiom 25. However, I could not modify the numbers when I selected the Axiom 25 Default settings, I could only modify the values under the "Axiom 25 memory" settings. I was able to go through all of the instructions. I noticed that the buttons stick when selecting Stop or Play. Also I noticed that under the column where the name Auxiom 25 needs to be, is set to All. I had to manually input the name Axiom 25.
Count up five posts above yours. Starting there I mention that there's some weirdness with the Axiom and/or Enigma software that makes it so this doesn't work for Axiom. The method I describe is just for the Oxygen. With the Axiom the changes in Enigma don't seem to "take" and you MUST program the transport buttons via the Axiom itself. However, I think I explain in the posts above how to do it. If it's not clear, perhaps when I have time I'll rename this topic to remove "Axiom" and then create a new topic explaining how to do it from the Axiom front panel.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

For what it's worth..... I gave up on this method, and started using Quickeys 4 instead. It has MIDI triggers now, so I just made a trigger to recognize my stop button, and it plays back the DP equivalent (space bar for me). Works amazingly well........ and no stuck buttons.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tripi wrote:For what it's worth..... I gave up on this method, and started using Quickeys 4 instead. It has MIDI triggers now, so I just made a trigger to recognize my stop button, and it plays back the DP equivalent (space bar for me). Works amazingly well........ and no stuck buttons.
Well it's too bad you gave up on it. Do you have an Axiom? I sat down and had it working in just a few minutes onceI learned the Axiom (as opposed to Oxygen) had to be programmed from the front panel.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Maybe gave up is a harsh word...... I just found a more simple solution. I was never able to get around the stuck stop and rewind buttons. Besides, I have a CME UF80 keyboard.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tripi wrote:Maybe gave up is a harsh word...... I just found a more simple solution. I was never able to get around the stuck stop and rewind buttons. Besides, I have a CME UF80 keyboard.
Ahhh... well that's different. I've only tried to setup transport controls with those two models of M-Audio keyboards: Oxyen and Axiom.

djsugarbear

Post by djsugarbear »

Thanks, I will do what 5 posts before me says. If it does not work, then I will message back.. if it does work, I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!.
djsugarbear

Post by djsugarbear »

Okay James. The earlier instructions are not clear to me at all. Can you post specific instructions on how to set up the transport controls from the front panel of the Axiom 25? I know your busy. So when ever it's convenient for you my friend.
thanks in advance once again.

SB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll see when I can. I thought it might be possible to piece it together from what I'd written. As far as the intricacies of the Axiom keyboard, I have no desire to become that much of an expert and you mentioned something about memory and whatever. I'm not sure... it's working for me. What can I tell you? *SIGH*

djsugarbear

Post by djsugarbear »

I Never said anything about memory?
Okay, hope someone can help in figuring out my little frustration with the Axiom 25 and DP. If anyone can clear this up I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. (All I need is transport control from the Axiom 25 to DP)

Thanks
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

djsugarbear wrote:I noticed that the buttons stick when selecting Stop or Play.
That's because Enigma doesn't seem to work right with the Axiom keyboards as I mentioned in my later posts. I had to do the programming manually from the front panel of the Axiom to make it work.

Also I noticed that under the column where the name Auxiom 25 needs to be, is set to All. I had to manually input the name Axiom 25.
Go to the 2nd post in this thread. Create a new MIDI device in AMS, and name it Axiom 25 and connect it up to the Axiom that is already there (that appears automatically when it's connected via USB). In that graphic it shows an Oxygen, but same thing. You should then be able to see the device in the input column.

djsugarbear

Post by djsugarbear »

Thanks James.
I got the Axiom to come up on the column now, however I don't know how to program the transport control from the Axioms panel. Can u post how u did yours, NOT USING Enigma?

Thanks again
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

djsugarbear wrote:Thanks James.
I got the Axiom to come up on the column now, however I don't know how to program the transport control from the Axioms panel. Can u post how u did yours, NOT USING Enigma?

Thanks again
Yes... yes... give me some time. I'm a volunteer here. :) I probably won't be able to get til it until day after tomorrow, the 21st.

djsugarbear

Post by djsugarbear »

James. I think I figured out how to program the Axiom from the keyboard it's self. I only have one question. I can only get the Play button to go back from 127 to 0. All other buttons on the axiom go back to the value given, in example the Stop button goes from 127 to 23. Would you or anyone know why this is happening? Thanks

Okay hope to hear from you soon?
eric.peloquin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by eric.peloquin »

Hi everyone - new to this forum.

I just saw M-Audio Axiom Pro 25 video on their website:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=med ... 2f1225c135

The level of integration with ProTools is just plain awesome. As i'm on the market to purchase a controller like Axiom, was wondering if any of you folks know or could recommend a MIDI controller that integrates with DP to the level shown in the M-Audio video/Protools?

Sorry if there's already such an answer somewhere on this forum... thanks for any feedback :)
peccoz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by peccoz »

Thank you for this great and easy guide! I personally find programming the Axiom on the hardware itself super-quick and convenient.. I had VERY unpleasant results using Enigma- I'd just stick to programming data in manually until m audio fixes the app.

Cheers!

Filippo