TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: TUTORIAL: M-Audio Axiom/Oxygen Transport Controls with DP

Post by dosuna11 »

It was definitely communicating with DP as the Control #'s appear in the menu as I entered them from the Axiom. I"ll check out the Main transport remote. Thanks!
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

I created a MIDI track and can see the data is being received as a control message in DP. It just doesn't control the transport functions. I am not sure what you mean by "Main Transport Remote on" I looked in my 4.61 DP manual for that saw some things but not quite that.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dosuna11 wrote:I created a MIDI track and can see the data is being received as a control message in DP. It just doesn't control the transport functions. I am not sure what you mean by "Main Transport Remote on" I looked in my 4.61 DP manual for that saw some things but not quite that.
What I mean by that is something I cannot describe because I am not able to access my computer or DP at the moment. I guess I meant the main toggle in the Commands Window that enables remote MIDI control of Transport functions or whatever. I can't tell you exactly what it's called right now. Maybe this just doesn't work on 4.61.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

dosuna11 wrote:I created a MIDI track and can see the data is being received as a control message in DP. It just doesn't control the transport functions. I am not sure what you mean by "Main Transport Remote on" I looked in my 4.61 DP manual for that saw some things but not quite that.
You need to access the main commands window of DP, which should look something like the third and fourth captured screens in James' initial post. I would think it would be accessible in DP 4.61. The 'master' controls lie above the individual toggles once you get there. Take care to disable some of the unnecessary remote commands once you activate the master controls- you'll lose your F#, etc.

Once you find the commands window you'll probably make sense out of it. Good luck!

Tobor
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

The Master Master was not checked in the commands window. Thanks for the pointer.
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

Is this working in DP4.61 now?

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

gearboy wrote:Is this working in DP4.61 now?

Jeff
Sounds like it was... he just needed to turn on the Master Master or whatever. (sorry for that sort of answer, but I don't have the Commands Window memorized and I'm in front of a Winbloze machine right now!) :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

gearboy wrote:Is this working in DP4.61 now?

Jeff
It works great.
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

awesome. can't wait to set it up.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

OK, I'm just now setting this up with DP 6.01. I too was hit with the sticky stop, rewind and FF buttons, and FF makes DP crash. I restarted my Mac and Axiom redid the settings, but still no love :( Has there been any updates on the cause?

You know what would be really nice, is if the Axiom could go into HUI emulation mode, then I guess everything could be automatic using the HUI control surface plug in settings.

James, have you (or anyone) been able to map the faders to the first 8 faders in DP?

I'm trying to see if I can use the Axiom as a replacement for my Tascam FW-1082 in a live setting.
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
treatment
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by treatment »

KICK ASS!!

Thanks for this bro, I wasnñt looking forward to hooking up my Oxygen 8......

Treatment
kresbeatz

Post by kresbeatz »

Thanks, man! Works great! I feel so comfortable right now ;)
MacPro 2013 6-cores + DP8 + Apollo 16 + UAD Satellite OCTO TB + KRK VXT6 + AKAI Max49
Nord Lead 4, Moog Sub 37, Analog Four, Analog Rytm, Boomstar 4075, OP-1
Eventide: Space, Pitch Factor, Time Factor; Strymon: El Capistan, Deco
MachFive 3 + Omnisphere + Alchemy + Komplete Ult. 9 + a lof of other VI's and FX
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Hello James ,
I did some changes in my K88 setup in enigma in order to be abble to use the transport controler buttons to start and stop DP .
Now ,
Do you know by any luck why I need to push twice on the button to get it to work ?

Thanks .

Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Aramis wrote:Hello James ,
I did some changes in my K88 setup in enigma in order to be abble to use the transport controler buttons to start and stop DP .
Now ,
Do you know by any luck why I need to push twice on the button to get it to work ?

Thanks .

Aramis
Not a clue. Sorry.

Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Well I seem to be experiencing the same problem as RecordingArts, getting a sticky stop button and runaway rewind, man ... so close and yet .... maybe it's RTFM time, don't know if there's any info there. I specifically bought the Axiom 61 to map all the knobs and faders thinking it would make life a bit easier, that's dangerous thinking.

Rainman
DP 10.0, UA Apollo Two, UA Octo, far too many plugs.