The free VI's/plugs list.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

I don't think I've seen this site mentioned yet.

http://www.smartelectronix.com/

You can read about them on that page and then just click on 'developers' and see what each has to offer.
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dosuna11 »

iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
paulold

free UB VSI's for DP5?

Post by paulold »

This listing is nice - thanks! But how about creating a list of free VSI's for DP5 that are also UB? Thanks!

Paul
MacBook Pro, 2GHz, 1.5Gigs RAM, Digital Performer 5.1, Motu UltraLite, CME UF8 Keyboard, MOTU Symphonic Instrument, PlugSoundPro, Ensoniq ESQ-1 Keyboard, Shure SM58 Microphone, Seagull S6 Acoustic Guitar, Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Gold Top Electric Guitar
HeadMaster

Re: free UB VSI's for DP5?

Post by HeadMaster »

paulold wrote:This listing is nice - thanks! But how about creating a list of free VSI's for DP5 that are also UB? Thanks!

Paul
Yeah!

I used remedy before, but it does not validate any longer (after updating dp5 and/or to 5.1 ub version)

. . .
HM
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, Unicorns.
Some more...

AU:

MusicUnfolding MU xEQ
MusicUnfolding xTrem 1.0

VSTi:

WWAYM NWSynth V1.3
LoftSoft FMHeaven 1.5.1 VST

The VSTi's are limited-functionality demos.
List modified with the benefit of stickwolf's wisdom.
Enjoy. :wink:
Last edited by monkey man on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

monkey man wrote:Hey, Unicorns.
Some more...

AU:
MusicUnfolding
GyroVibe 1.2
ModVibe 1.2
MU xEQ
OttoPhilter 1.1
PhaseDelayArray 1.2
SubRingFM 1.2
xTrem 1.0
Music Unfolding stuff says that DP is not one of the programs supporting the Cocoa implementation of their interface... and only two of those you list are FREE anyway, most of those are NOT free.

Actually it looks like those other synths you mentioned aren't free either! This list was supposed to be FREE stuff.
cchord59

Post by cchord59 »

Has anyone tried these plugins with the new mac pro? I can't get any I've tried to load in dp 5.1.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

stickwolf wrote:Music Unfolding stuff says that DP is not one of the programs supporting the Cocoa implementation of their interface...
Good point, stickwolf.
As you mention in a subsequent post, Apple's generic AU interface is implemented, but there's not enough room for all parameters on all plugs.
stickwolf wrote:Actually it looks like those other synths you mentioned aren't free either! This list was supposed to be FREE stuff.
In the cases of WWAYM's NWSynth and LoftSoft's FMHeaven, functionality is restricted, but they're usable.
There is no "demo noise" such as beeps, gradual degradation of sound or white-noise.
stickwolf wrote:... and only two of those you list are FREE anyway, most of those are NOT free.
How right you are, Wolf-man.
List edited with apologies to all, especially the stickster! :oops:

Good luck, Wolf-man. :wink:
Last edited by monkey man on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikebeckmotu

Post by mikebeckmotu »

Keep 'em coming, monkeyfellow!
I, too, have spent a fair amount of time tinkering with free plugins (and some beta testing) and am always happy to try more.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

Look, I never said anything about being picky about quality. I have no idea where that idea came from.

Fact is, I went and tried what I really thought were NOT free plugs, and guess what? All Music Unfolding plugs except the two officially free ones exhibit random static at random intervals or cut out for a moment. They do not function practically unless you pay for them. My best guess is that you are using them in busy enough contexts that you aren't noticing the static. They have static OVER the effected signal, not instead, so it is less jarring than if the whole signal went away and you heard only static. But it is still enough to not be practical.

I'll believe you about the synths, but simply in the interest of accuracy for people interested in this list, only xEQ and xTrem are free. The others insert static until registered. Though only F8 and M3 lack all the parameters when run without their special graphic interface, some of the others have so many parameters that DP can't display them all using the generic AU interface. I don't see how mentioning these issues making these plugins NOT functional free plugs lead to accusing me of being picky about quality. Again, for the record, most MU plugs are NOT free and they insert static until registered! If that counts as free, then Altiverb is free, and tons more etc etc etc are free.

-Aaron
Last edited by stickwolf on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Stickwolf, I'm very, very sorry.
The tone of the post hit me too late, I'm afraid.

I abhore/ can't stand/ detest/ am disgusted by/ shy away from and am "allergic" to that sort of arrogance.
Such is the case that I couldn't choose one of the above phrases; they all describe more or less equally how I feel.
Dang, I thought I'd completely eradicated sarcasm from my arsenal a long time ago until that slip-up.
Although I've somehow managed to remain sickeningly sweet until that post, I'm afraid you've been the victim of "cornered animal syndrome", delivered without grace or flair by yours truly. :oops:

I trust you're correct about the noises.
Almost as you've guessed, I'd checked each plug several times, but always on one very full mix.
Furthermore, as I wasn't expecting anything special sound-quality wise, I hadn't listened closely enough to spot it!
Funnily enough, I was impressed that all 10 ran glitch-free and that their preset-handling was flawless.
In my experience, this is rare!
For my next demonstration of ignorance, having only found them on VT a few days ago, I couldn't find the demo-limitation literature, so assumed reduced feature-sets.

Well, the self-dressing-down is complete.
Shaved monkey, anyone? :lol:

I wasn' sure what I'd typed, stickwolf, as I'm still scatter-brained from a very recent blast of microwave radiation. :shock:
I sure felt uneasy, though.

FWIW (Feel free to skip!):
Everything's out of whack at the mo', even 5 new symptoms today.
I'm only good for 5 to 8 steps, and oh, sooo dizzy!
It's so funny; I try to imagine how I look with my eyes rolling and closing as I push through the day.
Unfortunately, I've just hit a new low in terms of finance, health etc.
The radiation from my monitor makes me nauseous within 5 minutes every time I use it, and I suspect my endless hours of Unicorn-time this last winter has cost me more than 5 half-dead toes, blurry vision and tingly fingers. :?
Never having been a "headache" person, I'm a little alarmed that the same one I had for 5 years when I had HPV in my brain seems to have returned last night, too.
Crikey, it's all happening! :lol:

I've probably pushed waay too hard.
It's just me in a big house & yard, so by the time I'm done with the domestic stuff, I'm gone.
It may be an idea for me to do a "Shooshie" and back right off.
I'll visit whenever I can, 'cause I love this place.

Thank you too, Mike, for showing encouragement when I deserved a dressing-down.
Yup, thanks for allowing me the 24-hour post cycle to wake up and smell the coffee. :oops:

I'm sorry for the long post. It's thoroughness is an indication of my disgust with myself. :oops:
You could look at it this way; what's a minute's reading compared to 2 hours of monkey angst and pain? :lol:

Fairdinkum, I love all Unicorns and look forward to the day when only this love is apparent.
Cheers, fellas. :wink:
M

stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

"Facetiousness hardly ever translates onto print"
-Frank Zappa

If we read too much into the "tone" of e-mails we have only to be confused. We will never get anywhere making assumptions about the emotion and intent behind the limited communication that print allows. That includes in this case, both me judging your replies as well as you judging whether I was offended (I'm not and wasn't) by anything. Those little smilies are too abused and unclear and impersonal to really work anyway. I wish you and everyone the best and I'm only interested in setting the record straight for people interested in this list as a resource.

-Aaron
Last edited by stickwolf on Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

stickwolf wrote:"Fecetiousness hardly ever translates onto print"
-Frank Zappa
If we read too much into the "tone" of e-mails we have only to be confused. We will never get anywhere making assumptions about the emotion and intent behind the limited communication that print allows. That includes in this case, both me judging your replies as well as you judging whether I was offended (I'm not and wasn't) by anything. Those little smilies are too abused and unclear and impersonal to really work anyway. I wish you and everyone the best and I'm only interested in setting the record straight for people interested in this list as a resource.
-Aaron
Thanks, Aaron.
To illustrate your point even further, I had noticed you were "OK".
This was besides the point, though. (Well done, BTW!).
However people take me, it's my intent that matters.
So I had to be tough on myself, as the intent was not (and as you rightly point out, isn't easily) conveyed accurately.

Zappa had a point, but Will He Shake His Sword? showed us it can all be done.

See ya soon. :wink:

HeadMaster

Post by HeadMaster »

Free stuff coming up here:

http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php

. . .
HM