The free VI's/plugs list.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The free VI's/plugs list.

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for the link, Terry! I've downloaded it and spent a little time messing with it. The sound is very similar to the UAD emulation (with the filter set to flat) but the settings need to be different for both to perform similar compression. The meters do not match either. Also I think the response time is a little faster on the Cakewalk emulation. With that said, it DOES seem possible, however, to get these to sound very close to each other. This will be a great addition for those times when I'm running out of UAD DSP but I want a compressor like the LA2A.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Allen Side Fet Microphone for 700.00 off....

Post by crescentoon55 »

I came upon this hardware deal....

{DELETED BY SITE ADMIN}
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Allen Side Fet Microphone for 700.00 off....

Post by James Steele »

crescentoon55 wrote:I came upon this hardware deal....

{DELETED BY SITE ADMIN}
Hi there. I do appreciate you wanting to share a hardware deal on this board, but for starters this topic is for Plug-Ins only. Secondly, Sweetwater helps pay for this site with the banner ad you see at the top of the site, and you sort of put me between a rock and a hard place there as I'm not really comfortable pushing their competitors here.

I'll have to think on this and formulate some sort of compromise policy perhaps, but in the meantime, I'd prefer you not post hardware sales. Thanks so much.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I can see your position on hardware. But look at software. Sweetwater sells that too, including 62 brands of plugins. This topic for free plugins so probably not of interest to Sweetwater. But posts on the topic on Plugin Sales and Special Deals does advertise suppliers competing with Sweetwater.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:I can see your position on hardware. But look at software. Sweetwater sells that too, including 62 brands of plugins. This topic for free plugins so probably not of interest to Sweetwater. But posts on the topic on Plugin Sales and Special Deals does advertise suppliers competing with Sweetwater.
Yes. I'm aware of that. And I don't really have a problem with that. Those specials that come up are often times sponsored by the developer and can be found on Sweetwater's site as well, and I would encourage getting from them but obviously that's not always possible. That's not really a big deal. The post that I deleted was for hardware and it was "on sale" not "free" like plugs. As I said, I'm having to formulate a policy here. There isn't even a "hardware sales" forum as I mentioned, so I simply could have deleted it for being OT.

Sweetwater hasn't said anything to me about it. I was being HONEST. I have to formulate a policy and think on it a while because I think, for example, if I set up a forum for "hardware deals" and we were blasting stuff left and right linking to their competition, well... if I'm Sweetwater and paying to help support this site, it might confuse me. So as I said, I need to think about it, but for now, I'd rather not post hardware sales on this forum. It's one thing perhaps if it's mentioned in the context of a solution, but if it's a post that says "Hey XZY has this microphone on sale right now for X% off" it's a slippery slope. Also, I have no real way of vetting those people. There's nothing from stopping retailers from setting up an account at yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. and posting what are essentially ads.

Again... like I said... I have to think on it and formulate a policy and I'm busy so that's not going to happen overnight, so in the meantime, I'm making judgment calls as they appear and that's what I'm doing in this particular case. Thanks! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
crescentoon55

Post by crescentoon55 »

I will not add any more posts....
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

crescentoon55 wrote:I will not add any more posts....
Or! if it is an unusually good deal, you could post it in another thread in the appropriate sub-forum. James will have to decide about it.

I'd say if it is just the kind of typical deals we see all the time for hardware, maybe we can live without. But if the deal is ragingly good, I wouldn't mind knowing about it. That won't stop me shopping at Sweetwater regularly, which I do (largely because of this site).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

crescentoon55 wrote:I will not add any more posts....
And of course that was not what I requested, just to be clear. Just no major hardware deal posts until I try and figure out what my policy about that should be. Plug-ins and software have been posted here for a long time. We've never allowed sales of used gear. And now, I'm not quite sure what to do about posts that are announcements (and in essence advertisements) for new gear being sold at other retailers. I'm trying to be thoughtful about it and consider what would be the best policy.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:But if the deal is ragingly good, I wouldn't mind knowing about it. That won't stop me shopping at Sweetwater regularly, which I do (largely because of this site).
And that makes sense. I guess it would depend on the frequency of these types of posts, etc. I'm really hesitant to start some sort of deals subforum for hardware, not necessarily because I'm just concerned what Sweetwater might think (they've said NOTHING to me ever about this, BTW), but would there be potential for abuse and retailers using anonymous accounts spamming that subforum? Would I then have to start wasting time refereeing this and deciding what constitutes a "ragingly good" deal worthy of posting, and what might just be run of the mill spamming? It opens a potential can of worms that I don't want to deal with. Similarly, that's why I nixed publicly selling used gear on this forum. Do I really want to be drawn into a situation if a deal goes bad and someone shipped equipment but then never received payment, etc.? When in doubt I just skip it. I mean not to be too alarmist, but if the issue just became too sticky, I'd just get rid of the "deals" type posts, including plug-ins, and allow only the "freebie" posts. That would eliminate this whole sticky situation for me.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for clarifying that. Your reason for concern is totally valid. I too would hate for this forum to become a huge crap-pile of ads. Perhaps there could be a way for "forum insiders" to post things here & there-- freebies or plug deals (as now) but maybe some minimum requirement of having been registered for some number of years, or having some number of posts? That sounds like more work than it might be worth. Ugh. I get it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James, I think the way you have it now is the perfect balance. We don't get inundated with ads/deals but this thread is a great way to find some freebies, and I don't think this thread threatens Sweetwater sales in any way. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

As always, you're the boss here (I appreciate and respect that). I'm just throwing in my 2 cents. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Xpand!2 - found free license at Alesis "Registered Products"

Post by terrybritton »

I logged into my Alesis account thinking to use up a coupon for Sonivox that had sat languishing there for months, and was surprised to discover the coupon had been replaced with an iLok authorization and download link for the ProTools/AIR Xpand!2 synth sitting in there! (iLok works on up to 2 computers with no iLok dongle needed, or on your iLok dongle and additionally on 1 computer also .)

This is a pretty decent layering synth with gobs of presets (2500!) that load super-fast, so inspiration is easy to come by.

If you have any registered Alesis products, check your account in the "My Registered Products" section to see if you have that there as well.

http://alesis.com/account/signin/

More videos in sidebar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30mU3641JDk

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Free OBX-like synth. See this thread.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Elio

Post by Elio »

terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Elio wrote:Free Positive Grid Bias https://global.focusrite.com/plugin-collective
My account is not showing the download yet, but that is a pretty cool freebie!

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid