Editing with all the takes at once

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Editing with all the takes at once

Post by supersonic »

Hi

Is there a way to do cuts from top to bottom in the tracks window with all the takes of every track following those cuts? I still haven't found if that was an option or not.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Shooshie

Re: Editing with all the takes at once

Post by Shooshie »

I don't know of an easy way, but I took a year off, and there were some pretty nifty changes when I came back. Maybe this has been changed. But I don't think so.

The only way I know of to do it is to turn the takes into tracks. Make the cuts. Then turn the tracks into takes. That may work. If you have done comping, that will mess up your comping, but it can be redone.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Shooshie wrote:I don't know of an easy way, but I took a year off, and there were some pretty nifty changes when I came back. Maybe this has been changed. But I don't think so.

The only way I know of to do it is to turn the takes into tracks. Make the cuts. Then turn the tracks into takes. That may work. If you have done comping, that will mess up your comping, but it can be redone.

Shoosh
If this is an issue, it should be avoidable by merging the Comp track and moving the merged file into a new track first.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Really, sometimes I don't know where my mind is when I post answers here. I think that's one reason I took off a year, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

I deal with this very problem all the time by SHOWING TAKES. Prior to the Comp feature, I think you had to turn takes into tracks. (Not even sure about that.) But I show all takes, and when I select a range from the timeline, creating a vertical selection through all the tracks, I can snip, move, delete, or whatever, and it affects all the tracks. I was doing it yesterday evening when I thought of this post and how dumb of me not to remember "Show Takes." I do try to get this kind of editing out of the way before comping. Not sure what it will do to comps: maybe nothing. Anyway, this is probably the easiest way of going about it.

If you have a LOT of tracks with multiple takes, try holding down the W key while you choose "Show Takes." It should treat all tracks as a group, and you can then open all takes on all tracks in one move. I know it works on grouped tracks. My grouped tracks open all takes together if I just use the menu for one.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Thanks shooshie :)
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl