Anybody still using QuicKeys for DP9?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anybody still using QuicKeys for DP9?

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I remember reading that a lot of you (MLC) have abandoned QK in favor of Keyboard Maestro (or something like that).
Was there a particular reason for it?

I ask because, after abandoning it myself for a while, I am using it again with no apparent problems, BUT I'm still in Yosemite.
Will I see problems with QK when I update to Sierra? I don't want to become too attached to it if it will be problematic when I update my OS and DP9.02.

Anyway, no wonder my workflow was feeling clumsy... Using QKs again, after having to reprogram some of the shortcuts due to me having changed screens, lets me fly when I edit MIDI :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Anybody still using QuicKeys for DP9?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If QK works I'd keep it. KM is great but has an awkward way of doing things. QK started not always working in Yosemite and got progressively worse.

I will add one super time saving tip. Get rid of your mouse, get a MagicTrackpad 2 and Better Touch Tool, and don't look back. Once you're proficient with that you'll wonder how you ever ma aged to work holding a potato(e).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

I abandoned QK many OS and DP versions ago for Keyboard Maestro and haven't looked back. I'm now on Sierra with DP 9.13 and all is good. KM is very deep but programming macros for most of my DP needs is fairly simple. Essentially you build a macro using "blocks" of actions in steps. The developer has been dedicated to the app for as long as I've been a user with many updates and feature additions and enhancements.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

frankf wrote:I abandoned QK many OS and DP versions ago for Keyboard Maestro and haven't looked back. I'm now on Sierra with DP 9.13 and all is good. KM is very deep but programming macros for most of my DP needs is fairly simple. Essentially you build a macro using "blocks" of actions in steps. The developer has been dedicated to the app for as long as I've been a user with many updates and feature additions and enhancements.
I recently discovered the floppy for the version I used on my Mac+. Not interested in an upgrade path.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you for your comments, guys.

Since QK apperas to be working with my current system, Iand its what I know what to use, I'll keep it for now. I will be adapting my current QK shortcuts on a need-to basis, and if it misbehaves when I update, then I'll try KM.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
I will add one super time saving tip. Get rid of your mouse, get a MagicTrackpad 2 and Better Touch Tool, and don't look back. Once you're proficient with that you'll wonder how you ever ma aged to work holding a potato(e).
Nice! Thanks for the tip.
I remember I didn't like the MTP becuase I needed to double tap it to move objects, and tap again to release them in place. I take it I was missing something?
If you tell me how to avoid that, I'd love to give it another try...
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I use it every day. I'm on DP9.13 and Sierra. All good.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I still use QK daily in Yosemite.
Since I just installed DP 9.13, I'm thinking of upgrading to El Capitan. I do not know if QK works with El Cap, but I've been told it does not work with just about every version of OS X they've put out in the past 10 years, and so far it's defied the odds. Maybe it'll keep defying.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote:...I remember I didn't like the MTP becuase I needed to double tap it to move objects, and tap again to release them in place. I take it I was missing something?
If you tell me how to avoid that, I'd love to give it another try...
I've never used the tapping features.

You can "click-drag" by holding down the left lower corner with your thumb and move the object with your finger. The result is exactly like a mouse. I set the right lower corner to emulate a right-click.

Without setting up any of the advanced features, you still have additional functionality. This includes zoom-in and zoom-out by placing thumb and finger on the surface and spreading your fingers apart or pinching them together.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote: I've never used the tapping features.

You can "click-drag" by holding down the left lower corner with your thumb and move the object with your finger. The result is exactly like a mouse. I set the right lower corner to emulate a right-click.

Without setting up any of the advanced features, you still have additional functionality. This includes zoom-in and zoom-out by placing thumb and finger on the surface and spreading your fingers apart or pinching them together.
Thanks, Mike.

I will revisit all the options and try my Magic Pad again.

I remember the reason I had set it for double tapping (instead of clicking in the lower part as you said) was because it was really hard to press. I guess since it was new I needed to apply a lot of pressure to it on every click.
I'll keep clicking. Hopefully it will become a little softer with more usage...

JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I made the switch from Quick-Keys to KM last year and have been very happy with it.

I don't use really advanced features, but figuring out how to recreate my basic Quick-Keys stuff was very easy.

I find it actually easier to use than Quick-Keys.

Also weird macros where it has to find something by "mouse-geography" instead of window-items seem to work better and more consistently.

Also, I did have one question about how to do something new and the KM person got back to me fast with a detailed explanation.

I'm on Sierra & 9.13.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote: Thanks, Mike.

I will revisit all the options and try my Magic Pad again.

I remember the reason I had set it for double tapping (instead of clicking in the lower part as you said) was because it was really hard to press. I guess since it was new I needed to apply a lot of pressure to it on every click.
I'll keep clicking. Hopefully it will become a little softer with more usage...
It might be the surface you have it resting on. I tried setting it onto a desk pad and found it difficult to use. Placing it on a hard wood surface, no problem.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I got Controller Mate, but haven't really dug in with it. There is a demo so that might be worth trying out.

I've spent some hunks of time in an apple store with a Magic Trackpad 2 and wanted to like it, but I never got past it feeling bad. As much as I'd like to trust that I'd adapt to it, I don't know that I would.

I did fully adapt to the trackpad on my laptop. But that doesn't mean I prefer it.

I love my little potato.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FREIMUZIC

Post by FREIMUZIC »

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Quickeys and Keyboard Maestro. I'm very interested in learning about this.
I want to create a macro that with one keystroke will cause DP9.13 to quantize selected notes in 8ths, another one that will quantize in 16ths etc... Since the quantization amount (4,8,16,32,etc) is only accessible via the mouse, do I need to do a "mouse click/screen recording" with KM? If so, will the success of the macro's execution depend on having the DP screen in the same state as when the macro was recorded?

One more question: would you mind sharing what kind of actions have you succesfully programmed in KM to use in DP?

Best regards,
Daniel

"I abandoned QK many OS and DP versions ago for Keyboard Maestro and haven't looked back. I'm now on Sierra with DP 9.13 and all is good. KM is very deep but programming macros for most of my DP needs is fairly simple. Essentially you build a macro using "blocks" of actions in steps. The developer has been dedicated to the app for as long as I've been a user with many updates and feature additions and enhancements."
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I very reluctantly switched from QK to KM last year, but once I got used to it I'm very happy. There are some specific things that are harder, that seemed easy, and of course those are the things I tried first and it put a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't do a lot of complicated scripts with DP though, so I can't speak to that.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bongo_x wrote:I very reluctantly switched from QK to KM last year, but once I got used to it I'm very happy. There are some specific things that are harder, that seemed easy, and of course those are the things I tried first and it put a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't do a lot of complicated scripts with DP though, so I can't speak to that.
+1 - I do a lot of scripting in Finale, Photoshop, and the OS, but not so much in DP. I mostly use Key Commands for that unless I'm processing a lot of things the same way, then I'll create a script.

KM is actually much deeper than QK, IMO. It's also much more convoluted to program and if you don't program it the EXACT way it was designed, it can and will fail to execute macros at times. Little things like "click a button" is preferred to a mouse move. Also, the mouse coordinates are not absolute in my experience. there is an "absolute" location feature, as well as reference to the main screen and front window, but again, it tends to be somewhat unreliable, depending on what you programmed and how the developer designed it.

They also have super great tech support. If you post on the forum, the developer himself answers. He can get a little defensive if you trash the app, but if you can get past that, he is a wealth of knowledge and is really there to help. Many (myslef included) get frustrated at first and I gave up a few times, but once I really needed it for a project and took the time to really learn the app, it was well worth the time, energy, and money. I don't know that i would buy an upgrade to QK if one is ever available. kind of like the song goes: I've grown accustomed to it's face....
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS