It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Text Size

MIDI keyboard splits?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."

Re: MIDI keyboard splits?

Postby terrybritton » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Well, I hate to say this (as I do love working with DP), but these limitations have been with DP since it was ONLY MIDI, as Performer (my first sequencer used on my hyped up Mac Plus for years). I mean, c'mon -- it has been 20 years with this MIDI slack of missing the filters. This cannot be that hard. I use Cantabile 3 for live stuff (and for laying down tracks quite often as well!) and it has MIDI filters coming out of its ears! (Wow - what a allegory-filled picture!)

Maybe someday... (not holding my breath!)

Terry
Computer: Dell XPS 8700-1751BLK | Intel Haswell Core i7 4790@3.6Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Windows 10 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid- USB

DAWs and Live: MOTU Digital Performer 9.1.2 | Samplitude Pro X3 Suite | Cantabile 3 Performer
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation, Korg Poly800
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88, Akai MPK249, Alesis QX49; NI Maschine Jam; Peavey PC 1600x
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Lexicon LXP-5

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/tbritton33
terrybritton

Primary DAW OS: Windows

Postby billunatic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:50 am

This is easily accomplished by enabling Multi Record in the Studio menu.
Once you enable Multi Record you can record MIDI to multiple tracks and specify what incoming MIDI channel each separate track records from.
billunatic

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby terrybritton » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:28 pm

billunatic wrote:This is easily accomplished by enabling Multi Record in the Studio menu.
Once you enable Multi Record you can record MIDI to multiple tracks and specify what incoming MIDI channel each separate track records from.

Yes, of course, but you would need to have the ability to split and re-channelize your keyboard from within the keyboard itself for that to work. This thread is concerned with using a MIDI filter to accomplish these splits from within DP.

Here is how I've done it using Mini-Host Modular:

In the snapshot below, I have my MPK249 coming in on Channel 3 controlling the upper manual of the organ (re-channelized to channel 1), and the Komplete Kontrol S-88 coming in on Channel 1 controlling the lower manual on Channel-2 with the upper half of the keyboard, and controlling the pedalboard on Channel-3 with the lower-half of that same keyboard.
I added channel filters first to isolate the channel (input set to "All"), followed by re-channelizing, then split the S-88.
I am using the PizMIDI collection MIDI filters. (The organ is Linplug's Organ3.)

Terry
Computer: Dell XPS 8700-1751BLK | Intel Haswell Core i7 4790@3.6Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Windows 10 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid- USB

DAWs and Live: MOTU Digital Performer 9.1.2 | Samplitude Pro X3 Suite | Cantabile 3 Performer
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation, Korg Poly800
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88, Akai MPK249, Alesis QX49; NI Maschine Jam; Peavey PC 1600x
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Lexicon LXP-5

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/tbritton33
terrybritton

Primary DAW OS: Windows

Previous

Return to Digital Performer [MacOS]: Usage, Techniques, Tips & Optimization