DP 9.12 Pre-gen and Vienna Instruments Pro player

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
frisb
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 9.12 Pre-gen and Vienna Instruments Pro player

Post by frisb »

Greetings all. Has anyone had any experience good or bad using DP 9.12 with Vienna Instruments Pro player and Pre-gen? I know that Vienna Ensemble Pro can not take advantage of Pre-gen but I am not sure about Vienna Instruments Pro player.

FYI - I am using OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite)
Last edited by frisb on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martini Hill
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.12 Pre-gen and Vienna Instruments Pro player

Post by Martini Hill »

The only change that I had to make when upgrading to 9.12 with my lowly MacBook Pro/El Cap was to reduce the thread option from 2 to 1 as I was getting crackle/pops with hungry VI's such as Omnisphere 2. I'm still trying to get back to the performance of 9.0 or even 8 but am happy that I've gotten this far. There are so many other variables to troubleshooting my system such as out of date audio interfaces and a weak machine that I cant rightly fault 9.12 and Pregen yet.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Martini Hill wrote:The only change that I had to make with VE Pro 5 when upgrading to 9.12 with my lowly MacBook Pro/El Cap was to reduce the thread option from 2 to 1 as I was getting crackle/pops with hungry VI's such as Omnisphere 2. I'm still trying to get back to the performance of 9.0 or even 8 but am happy that I've gotten this far. There are so many other variables to troubleshooting my system such as out of date audio interfaces and a weak machine that I cant rightly fault 9.12 and Pregen yet.

|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
frisb

Post by frisb »

For those who are interested, here is Motu's reply...

"Turns out VIP is running in it’s own internal form of pre-gen. Here is the response from our engineer:

"VIP is forced into real-time (or as you say, blocked from pre-gen), in both MAS and AU versions. However this is a special case. In general, AU plug-ins do run in pre-gen.

You wouldn't derive any benefit from running VIP in pre-gen, since it is already running in a different process and doing it's own form of pre-generation. So this is not a significant limitation."
dix

Post by dix »

You wouldn't derive any benefit from running VIP in pre-gen, since it is already running in a different process and doing it's own form of pre-generation. So this is not a significant limitation."
Weird! I never understood why running VIs in VEP on the same computer was so much more efficient than running them in DP 9 and earlier. Guess this is why. Whatever is going on VEP, however, seems more transparent and less glitchy than DP's new pre-gen scheme - it will improve I'm sure, but for the time being I'm still using VEP on bigger projects (with DP 9.12 btw)
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I've had nothing but problems with VE Pro and 9.12, and 9.12 in general.

I've gone back to 9.02.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

dix wrote:
Weird! I never understood why running VIs in VEP on the same computer was so much more efficient than running them in DP 9 and earlier. Guess this is why. Whatever is going on VEP, however, seems more transparent and less glitchy than DP's new pre-gen scheme - it will improve I'm sure, but for the time being I'm still using VEP on bigger projects (with DP 9.12 btw)
Agreed! I have duplicate instances of all of my VI's as chunks in my vrack. One in VE Pro on the same computer and one within DP. The Ve Pro instances usually outperform the Dp ones. Again, I don't know if it is due to my setup or a DP 9.12 issue. Won't know until I'm satisfied that I have tried everything to troubleshoot the issues outside of DP.
frisb

Post by frisb »

I am not currently using Vienna Ensemble Pro. I am however using numerous instances of Vienna Instruments Pro player (20-25 on average) and for me it's working very well with DP 9.12. I was able to change my buffer size from 256 to 512 and have better CPU performance and notably faster monitoring when recording MIDI with VIs as well as live audio. So far so good. I had been working in DP 8.07 but decided to consider upgrading as my quad core iMac's processor had begun to get pushed to it's limits with so many VIs (Vienna, Kontakt, Ivory, Omnisphere, Trillian etc.). DP 9.12 has definitely given me my headroom back.
MacBook Air M1 2020 w/ OS 14.3 with 16 GB of ram, external SSD, DP 11.3, M4, WaveLab, Keyscape, Omnisphere II, Trillian, Superior Drummer, Numerous VSL instruments, Kontakt etc.