DP 9.1 is here

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9.1 is here

Post by Babz »

jim2b wrote:Hi folks,

Is anyone running 9.1 with Mountain Lion, and if so, what are your results?

Thanks,

Jim
Yes. Good, but have only used it for one day so far.

Babz.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

A 9.1 announcement appears in the MOTU RSS feed. It mentions the manual comes as a PDF and as a printed version. I didn't get a printed one, and I don't see one listed in the manuals for purchase at MOTU.COM. Anyone have one?

Another thing it mentions is "unlimited audio voices". The change log also mentions something about a bug fix for voices. Is this referring to a scoring feature? If not, what is it? I don't remember seeing "audio voices" as a DP component.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz

Post by Babz »

bayswater wrote:A 9.1 announcement appears in the MOTU RSS feed. It mentions the manual comes as a PDF and as a printed version. I didn't get a printed one, and I don't see one listed in the manuals for purchase at MOTU.COM. Anyone have one?

Another thing it mentions is "unlimited audio voices". The change log also mentions something about a bug fix for voices. Is this referring to a scoring feature? If not, what is it? I don't remember seeing "audio voices" as a DP component.
Seems like just sloppiness and less-than-precise language on the part of MOTU, if that's what you're reading. Version 8 is the last printed manual that will ever be. And I am guessing "voices" is a synonym for "tracks." And of course, "unlimited" is always theoretically unlimited, but don't expect to see words like "theoretically" in ad copy.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Babz wrote: And I am guessing "voices" is a synonym for "tracks." And of course, "unlimited" is always theoretically unlimited, but don't expect to see words like "theoretically" in ad copy.
Don't think it's tracks because they list "unlimited tracks" separately. The 9.1 manual makes no reference to voices other than what you expect for scores.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe someone can confirm this as a bug or not. When the transport is running, hitting the numeric 4 key used to go in reverse until you stopped holding it. Now it creates a little burp in the timing and the transport immediately continues forward. I used that fairly often in cueing and editing on the fly... in fact, the reverse and slow reverse keys are non functional even when the transport is stopped.
This has cropped up again today. Restarting DP did't fix it. It never happened in earlier version of DP and reassigning the key to something else doesn't help. The keyboard is reading correctly in the OS, DP 9.1 is simply loosing the ability to act on the key command.

Techlink to MOTU
That's not happening here. Yet.
Is it intermittent? Did it work for a while, then fail?
I just tested it, and it's working for now.

Shooshie
I'm late to the party. Just got back from a trip out of town, and saw the news about 9.1. Woohoo!

I haven't been able to reproduce this either. The transport is working as expected (so far) on my system.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
waxman

Post by waxman »

turning off and on in the loop region causes a momentary audio drop out similar to 4 on numeric keyboard
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

waxman wrote:turning off and on in the loop region causes a momentary audio drop out similar to 4 on numeric keyboard
While changing sounds in BFD3 at buffer 128 with the transport stopped DP quit... won't be doing that again.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

waxman wrote:
waxman wrote:turning off and on in the loop region causes a momentary audio drop out similar to 4 on numeric keyboard
While changing sounds in BFD3 at buffer 128 with the transport stopped DP quit... won't be doing that again.
I just had this happen during a session... BFD3 wouldn't load a new kit. Constantly crashing DP.

Back to 9.02 for now I guess. What a mess :(
waxman

Post by waxman »

Robert Randolph wrote:
waxman wrote:
I just had this happen during a session... BFD3 wouldn't load a new kit. Constantly crashing DP.

I've used it solid for 2 days. No issues. Get your kit set then load it all in at 512... then switch to 128... ROCK SOLID
waxman
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

waxman wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: I just had this happen during a session... BFD3 wouldn't load a new kit. Constantly crashing DP.

I've used it solid for 2 days. No issues. Get your kit set then load it all in at 512... then switch to 128... ROCK SOLID
I was auditioning kits while someone was playing. Acoustic kit with some triggers. Don't have time to mess with buffers in that scenario.

Really curious why this is an issue.
rainmaker

Post by rainmaker »

I installed 9.1 yesterday and everything seemed fine while playing around in a project. About two hours later, I started to mix the song. I save a lot while mixing and DP crashed several times while hitting save. I'm not sure what the cause was as each time I seemed to be doing different things. Regardless, back to 9.01 for now to get some work done. I'll have to check the crash log when I install 9.1 again.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Speaking of buffers, Robert, it seems like it takes even longer than before to switch buffers. I've been trying every buffer, as you know, to see where I can use The Cello with DP 9.1, and I just got accustomed to waiting. It's an incredibly long process here, with about half a dozen instruments open.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Robert Randolph wrote:
waxman wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: I just had this happen during a session... BFD3 wouldn't load a new kit. Constantly crashing DP.

I was auditioning kits while someone was playing. Acoustic kit with some triggers. Don't have time to mess with buffers in that scenario.

Really curious why this is an issue.
It's a BFD3 issue.
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

rainmaker wrote:I installed 9.1 yesterday and everything seemed fine while playing around in a project. About two hours later, I started to mix the song. I save a lot while mixing and DP crashed several times while hitting save. I'm not sure what the cause was as each time I seemed to be doing different things. Regardless, back to 9.01 for now to get some work done. I'll have to check the crash log when I install 9.1 again.
Make a copy of the project and audio. In the copied project Select and delete unused bites. Flush and save. That is the fix I have used in every version since before there was dirt. Seems to fix things...
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:Speaking of buffers, Robert, it seems like it takes even longer than before to switch buffers. I've been trying every buffer, as you know, to see where I can use The Cello with DP 9.1, and I just got accustomed to waiting. It's an incredibly long process here, with about half a dozen instruments open.

Shoosh
Taking about 7 seconds here. Only BFD3 and about 10 tracks with plugs. Yesterday was about double that with a few other VI's. I did not notice it being slow to change buffers. How long is it taking?
waxman