Track color change

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Track color change

Post by musicman691 »

Is there a way to change the colors of a number of chosen tracks at one time? I'm talking about changing the color where the track title/name is in the sequence editor (which would carry over to the mixer & channel strip). I like to have groups of tracks the same color (brass one color, woodwinds another color, etc.) This would be done after the tracks are created. I can change them one at a time but haven't figured out how to do multiple tracks at one time (if that's even possible).
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Track color change

Post by FMiguelez »

Select your desired tracks. While pressing letter "t", change the colour in one of them. Bam! Done!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

FMiguelez wrote:Select your desired tracks. While pressing letter "t", change the colour in one of them. Bam! Done!
Crashes DP9 when I do that. Found it under 'assign colors' in the setup menu.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Track color change -DP 9 coming apart at the seams!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's a new one. DP has never crashed for me when changing track colors. If someone is seeing a variety of crashes happening after a mouse click, that person may want to check their mouse driver for an update, reinstall that driver and DP and start off by repairing permissions.

Otherwise: BUG! BUG! MOTU MUST FACE!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

musicman691 wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Select your desired tracks. While pressing letter "t", change the colour in one of them. Bam! Done!
Crashes DP9 when I do that. Found it under 'assign colors' in the setup menu.
I just did the T+track colour thing this morning and no crash here.

Checked it on my laptop (which has now somehow developed the the insert automation bug), and it works fin there too.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Robert Randolph wrote: Checked it on my laptop ... and it works fin there too.
I'd say there's something fishy going on...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Re: Track color change -DP 9 coming apart at the seams!

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That's a new one. DP has never crashed for me when changing track colors. If someone is seeing a variety of crashes happening after a mouse click, that person may want to check their mouse driver for an update, reinstall that driver and DP and start off by repairing permissions.

Otherwise: BUG! BUG! MOTU MUST FACE!
This is the first time I've ever had a DP crash after a mouse click. DP actually crashed as I clicked on the color picker in a track. So I wouldn't call what happened to me a 'variety of crashes'.

DP does not crash when I use 'assign colors' from the setup menu. I think this is another one of those DP9 crashes that may happen to some but not others. Remember that I am using the DP9 download from MOTU and not the one on the dvd.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Working fine here as well.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Robert Randolph wrote: I just did the T+track colour thing this morning and no crash here.

Checked it on my laptop (which has now somehow developed the the insert automation bug), and it works fin there too.
It's just the 't' key with no modifier? Is there another color picker to work from and not just the one in each track in the sequence editor screen? I can't find anything on this shortcut procedure in the manual.
Robert Randolph

musicman691 wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: I just did the T+track colour thing this morning and no crash here.

It's just the 't' key with no modifier? Is there another color picker to work from and not just the one in each track in the sequence editor screen? I can't find anything on this shortcut procedure in the manual.
Hold T, no modifier, press the colour selector in the sequencer screen, select your colour, let go of T.

It is in the manual, but it's really tricky to find. It's on pg. 70 in the DP9 pdf manual.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Robert Randolph wrote:
musicman691 wrote:

Hold T, no modifier, press the colour selector in the sequencer screen, select your colour, let go of T.

It is in the manual, but it's really tricky to find. It's on pg. 70 in the DP9 pdf manual.
I looked at page 70 of the DP9 pdf manual and it's not there; that page deals with audio files. Track colors don't come in until page 75 and even then I can't find it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Page 116 deals with track colours. Page 170 shows the options for track group settings, including track colour. The manual rarely gets into explanations of using features in combination.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

musicman691 wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
musicman691 wrote: It's just the 't' key with no modifier? Is there another color picker to work from and not just the one in each track in the sequence editor screen? I can't find anything on this shortcut procedure in the manual.

I looked at page 70 of the DP9 pdf manual and it's not there; that page deals with audio files. Track colors don't come in until page 75 and even then I can't find it.
I mistyped. The explanation of the W and T key is on page 170.

The W and T keys work for a lot of functions in the Sequence window.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:Page 116 deals with track colours. Page 170 shows the options for track group settings, including track colour. The manual rarely gets into explanations of using features in combination.
Thanks for the info. So I have to use the Tracks screen to change color this way and not the sequence editor? I was using the se screen color picker to make the change and that's what was crashing DP. If that's the way it's supposed to work that's not too cool. Should be able to do the deed in both screens.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:Page 116 deals with track colours. Page 170 shows the options for track group settings, including track colour. The manual rarely gets into explanations of using features in combination.
Thanks for the info. So I have to use the Tracks screen to change color this way and not the sequence editor? I was using the se screen color picker to make the change and that's what was crashing DP. If that's the way it's supposed to work that's not too cool. Should be able to do the deed in both screens.
No, it works in the Sequence Editor too. I'm just in the habit of doing all the track setup, routing etc in the TO, and using the Sequence Editor for arranging.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8