How do i change the width of the tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How do i change the width of the tracks

Post by Mathematics »

Either I overlooked it in the manual, but can I ask that someone explain how to change the width of the tracks in the Mixing Board?

Thanks
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do i change the width of the tracks

Post by frankf »

Mixer mini menu, there's an option for narrow tracks or similar. Not in front of DP right now
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

What Frank said. Pretty sure there are just two sizes- normal and narrow. Thanks for the reminder- I forget about the narrow view and it would be handy sometimes.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

Thanks Frank. It would be nice to make them wider so that I can read the names of the inserts better.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Mathematics wrote:It would be nice to make them wider so that I can read the names of the inserts better.
If only MOTU would make those screen fonts a little smaller, you could fit longer names in that mixer label. :shock:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

stubbsonic wrote:
Mathematics wrote:It would be nice to make them wider so that I can read the names of the inserts better.
If only MOTU would make those screen fonts a little smaller, you could fit longer names in that mixer label. :shock:
I didn't know there were fonts in existence that are smaller than what MOTU uses in DP. :smash:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

No, not smaller fonts. Multiple lines in the name field. Or an optional free format Notes field below the track name.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I refer to them as "narrower" and "narrowest".

I can hardly ever tell what my tracks are in the Mixer view, except by counting. :-)

Like the O.P., I keep hoping there's a hidden feature I haven't discovered yet, to make them wider or "size to fit".

Who on earth uses track names that are 16 or fewer characters long? Especially once we get further down the signal path to stems and other processed tracks?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

mhschmieder wrote:Who on earth uses track names that are 16 or fewer characters long? Especially once we get further down the signal path to stems and other processed tracks?
I think they're hinting at something - "keep it short and simple". Fine, but don't force me to be like that all the time.

I might have to think about keeping a spreadsheet open alongside a DP session.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Go to the Studio menu and choose Channel Strip. In the mini menu choose 4 Columns. You'll get a nice wide fader view. The Channel Strip displays one track at a time. You can select which track is displayed by selecting a track in any edit window.

Dave
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks Dave. That will definitely become part of my workflow.

It really would be nice if the Mixer window itself had three or more sizes available for width. More often than not, I am focusing on one subgroup at a time, or groups of stems, so only rarely do I need the full track overview at once in the Mixer window (and usually just as a quick sanity check that nothing is amiss).

It's important to have sane, logical track names vs. cryptic ones. I remember when I started programming and there used to be an eight-character limit on names. Definitely made for more bugs in the code!

Similarly, narrow Mixer tracks and/or short track names lead to mistakes, and as the Mixer doesn't really have Undo, there's nowhere that it matters more.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

Ah yes. That works. Thank you Dave.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

magicd wrote:Go to the Studio menu and choose Channel Strip. In the mini menu choose 4 Columns. You'll get a nice wide fader view. The Channel Strip displays one track at a time. You can select which track is displayed by selecting a track in any edit window.

Dave
Channel Strip is maybe my favorite (newer) feature in DP. I used to have to have the mixer open with the tracks overview always.. now because of channel strip, I can have one or the other onscreen at a time- huge improvement in screen management, for my workflow!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Killahurts wrote:
magicd wrote:Go to the Studio menu and choose Channel Strip. In the mini menu choose 4 Columns. You'll get a nice wide fader view. The Channel Strip displays one track at a time. You can select which track is displayed by selecting a track in any edit window.

Dave
Channel Strip is maybe my favorite (newer) feature in DP. I used to have to have the mixer open with the tracks overview always.. now because of channel strip, I can have one or the other onscreen at a time- huge improvement in screen management, for my workflow!
I pretty much only use the channel strip. Channel strip + track overview is just amazing for mixing medium-large projects.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

You know, I've practically forgotten about the Channel Strip. Definitely time to get acquainted with it.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4