VEPro MAS version is out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VEPro MAS version is out

Post by frankf »

nightwatch wrote:
frankf wrote:Personally I stay in the MIDI realm as long as possible.
Yep. Till the last possible second. Sometimes to my own detriment as me and my old MacPro are running out of headroom and sanity.
That's the other plus with Freeze. It automatically disables the source track(s) resources so you only have the audio track tasking the Mac Pro. In theory, Freeze many tracks then Un Freeze as needed to edit.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

comp15 wrote:I'm new to DP. If someone makes a tutorial in the very near future regarding how to connect DP to VEPro 5 with MAS support, please let us know on this forum. I'm sure you'll get a high count of viewings in a brief amount of time.

thanks
Comp15 & others, I'm going to do a text step-by-step for how I setup my Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (newest version) to work my Digital Performer 8 (.07). I have *NO* doubt that there are folks here who have much more experience and perhaps much better ways to accomplish this, and you would be well served to look for their generous knowledge-sharing.

In any event, if it helps, here are my steps:

1. I open VEPro5 Server/64-bit
a small "Vienna Ensemble Pro Server" window opens. I'll call this window "VEProWIN#1". I enter nothing and move it to the corner for the time being...

2. I open DP8 and create a "new" project (with the Chunk "dem1")

3. in the new empty DP project, I go to Project>Add Track> Instruments w/Options...

4. in the Add Instrument Track, I "add 1 instrument track(s), assigned to:"VSL>Vienna Ensemble Pro stereo", then I check "Add 16 MIDI tracks..." and "Add new track folder", then click OK

5. another small VEPro window opens, "Effects:dem1:Vienna Ensemble Pro-1". I'll call this window "VEProWIN#2". I enter nothing in it and move it to the corner for the time being...

6. in my DP Tracks Overview, a new folder (Vienna Ensemble Pro Folder) appears, containing 16 MIDI tracks, each assigned consecutive VEPro channels, and a VEPro VI instance named "Vienna Ensemble Pro-1". I change this name to "VEPro-1".

7. I go back to the "VEProWIN#2" and it says "Status: Not Connected" on orange letters. I click on Connect. It now shows under "Available Instances:..." and a localhost(64). I double-click this "localhost(64)" and 3 things happen;(a.) "VEProWIN#2" now says "Connected" in Green letters, (b.) "VEProWIN#1" now shows a valid VEPro5 Instance, and (c.) a large new VEPro5 Mixer window ("VEProWIN#3") has opened , containing only a Master Bus fader.

8. at this point, I go to VEPro windows #1 & #2 and "yellow-dot_ click them, as I won't need them any longer for this session...

9. the large "VEProWIN#3" is where I will add VI Instances, and then add Instruments to those instances. i.e., if I now want a Grand Piano playing in Kontakt 5, I do "Command V", select NativeInstruments>Kontakt5>Stereo and a Kontakt5 window opens inside of "VEProWIN#3". Now I change "MIDI In" from "Omni" to "1 VEPro Plugin MIDI In 1" (leaving "Channel" to Omni) and I am ready to load a Grand Piano in to Kontakt5 and start playing & recording in DP8!

So that's it! It may seem like a lot of steps, but it goes *very* quickly - - usually takes me < 2 min. to do all of the above. And, of course, once you have set up a DP project & saved it, when you wnat to re-open it, you only need do Step #1 above, before opening your DP project.

So good luck with it and let me know if you have questions?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

And keep in mind that DP saves everything about the VEPro instances in the DP project file itself. And it's all being saved during the auto save process if you use that feature. The only real reason you need to save your instances and meta frames is if you plan on using them as VEP templates for other projects.

Otherwise if you mainly plan to reuse your DP template, you can rely on DP to manage the process of saving your VEpro instances.

Still, I save both viframes and metaframes independently in case, for example, I want to have variations of a MIR room. That way you can interchange VEP instances by draging the viframe file on the VEP server window and then connecting to that instance in DP.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:I'm new to DP. If someone makes a tutorial in the very near future regarding how to connect DP to VEPro 5 with MAS support, please let us know on this forum. I'm sure you'll get a high count of viewings in a brief amount of time.

thanks
Here's your video. Sorry it took me a week to get to it.

http://youtu.be/1nYIzd3Ca7U

I started a new thread about, so please leave comments here..

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59430

comp15

Post by comp15 »

williemyers wrote:

thanks
Comp15 & others, I'm going to do a text step-by-step for how I setup my Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (newest version) to work my Digital Performer 8 (.07). I have *NO* doubt that there are folks here who have much more experience and perhaps much better ways to accomplish this, and you would be well served to look for their generous knowledge-sharing.

a small "Vienna Ensemble Pro Server" window opens. I'll call this window "VEProWIN#1". I enter nothing and move it to the corner for the time being...

3. in the new empty DP project, I go to Project>Add Track> Instruments w/Options...

4. in the Add Instrument Track, I "add 1 instrument track(s), assigned to:"VSL>Vienna Ensemble Pro stereo", then I check "Add 16 MIDI tracks..." and "Add new track folder", then click OK

5. another small VEPro window opens, "Effects:dem1:Vienna Ensemble Pro-1". I'll call this window "VEProWIN#2". I enter nothing in it and move it to the corner for the time being...

6. in my DP Tracks Overview, a new folder (Vienna Ensemble Pro Folder) appears, containing 16 MIDI tracks, each assigned consecutive VEPro channels, and a VEPro VI instance named "Vienna Ensemble Pro-1". I change this name to "VEPro-1".

7. I go back to the "VEProWIN#2" and it says "Status: Not Connected" on orange letters. I click on Connect. It now shows under "Available Instances:..." and a localhost(64). I double-click this "localhost(64)" and 3 things happen;(a.) "VEProWIN#2" now says "Connected" in Green letters, (b.) "VEProWIN#1" now shows a valid VEPro5 Instance, and (c.) a large new VEPro5 Mixer window ("VEProWIN#3") has opened , containing only a Master Bus fader.

8. at this point, I go to VEPro windows #1 & #2 and "yellow-dot_ click them, as I won't need them any longer for this session...

9. the large "VEProWIN#3" is where I will add VI Instances, and then add Instruments to those instances. i.e., if I now want a Grand Piano playing in Kontakt 5, I do "Command V", select NativeInstruments>Kontakt5>Stereo and a Kontakt5 window opens inside of "VEProWIN#3". Now I change "MIDI In" from "Omni" to "1 VEPro Plugin MIDI In 1" (leaving "Channel" to Omni) and I am ready to load a Grand Piano in to Kontakt5 and start playing & recording in DP8!

So that's it! It may seem like a lot of steps, but it goes *very* quickly - - usually takes me < 2 min. to do all of the above. And, of course, once you have set up a DP project & saved it, when you wnat to re-open it, you only need do Step #1 above, before opening your DP project.

All the steps worked except for one. When I press command V to bring up the instruments, I only have "Apple" available from which to choose. I don't see any East West Instruments, and I have installed all of those samples. When I go into preferences under Audio Plug-ins under Primary External Plug-in format, I only have VST and AU listed. It should be on VST, correct? Why is VEPro not recognizing all the other samples?
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
comp15

Post by comp15 »

Since I am connecting to a PC slave from the Mac master, do I need to start the server on the PC first, then connect from the Mac? That doesn't sound right, but want to rule out that possibility.

How do I know it's connecting to the slave machine? Should I input the IP address somewhere? I ask because the listed connection is not the IP address of the slave. When I try to enter the correct IP it says it won't connect.

Sorry for the all questions. I have seven expansive East West libraries on the slave, and I am wondering why none of them are recognized by VEPro.

thanks
HARDWARE:
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:
williemyers wrote:

thanks

All the steps worked except for one. When I press command V to bring up the instruments, I only have "Apple" available from which to choose. I don't see any East West Instruments, and I have installed all of those samples. When I go into preferences under Audio Plug-ins under Primary External Plug-in format, I only have VST and AU listed. It should be on VST, correct? Why is VEPro not recognizing all the other samples?
Command-V brings up the Instrument menu in VEP. So you only see an Apple folder with AUMIDISynth, AUSampler and DLSMusicDevice? If you only get the Apple synths then perhaps VEP didn't scan your Components and VST folder. Click Scan Plugins at the bottom of the window. But make sure the plugins are in the correct spot in the correct folder. If they're not, follow directions below and then rescan.

Open Vienna ens Server's prefs. Click on Plugins. There are two categories. Effects and Instruments. If you don't see anything there, make sure that all of your plugins are located Bootdrive/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components. That's where your AUs live. VST is the same path but the last folder is VST.

Do you see plugins in DP? Do they show up in both DP and VEP?

Make sure AU plugins are in that Components folder and VST are in VST. NOT in your home directory but in the main Library.

Rebuild Permissions.

comp15

Post by comp15 »

I don't see a button that says "scan plug-ins". Which window?

Also, the samples are loaded on a pc slave with this path: This PC - Local Disk (C:) - Program Files - East West.
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

I found the rescan button located within the preferences window. I rescanned and nothing further showed up. Hmm... I guess back to my original question. How do I know VEPro is recognizing the PC slave connection? The IP address listed does not match the slave pc's actual IP address.
HARDWARE:

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:I found the rescan button located within the preferences window. I rescanned and nothing further showed up. Hmm... I guess back to my original question. How do I know VEPro is recognizing the PC slave connection? The IP address listed does not match the slave pc's actual IP address.
Are you not seeing plugins on your host or slave computer? Is your host a Mac and slave a PC?

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:I found the rescan button located within the preferences window. I rescanned and nothing further showed up. Hmm... I guess back to my original question. How do I know VEPro is recognizing the PC slave connection? The IP address listed does not match the slave pc's actual IP address.
Is "Advertise On Local Network" checked in VEP?

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

First, make sure you're following the obvious. If this isn't it I saw a topic on the VSL forum today about troubles connecting to a slave. Look there. Also make sure your launching the server version of VEP. I've seen people launch the non server version and not realize it.

Please make sure that a ViennaKey with a Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 license (or demo license) is connected to your master computer. Then

1) Launch Vienna Ensemble Pro Server or Vienna Ensemble Pro Server (64-bit)

2) In your sequencer, insert Vienna Ensemble Pro as a VST/VST3/AU/RTAS/AAX/MAS instrument

3) The Server Interface will open. Click Connect and choose 127.0.0.1 localhost [32] (NEW) or 127.0.0.1 localhost [64] (NEW)

4) A new instance of Vienna Ensemble PRO appears – and you can start exploring right away.
To connect to a Vienna Ensemble PRO Server on a slave computer over LAN, connect your ViennaKey to your slave computer and start the Vienna Ensemble Pro Server or Vienna Ensemble Pro Server (64-bit) – then proceed with step 2 from above. You will see the IP address of your slave computer instead of 127.0.0.1, if your network connection works.

comp15

Post by comp15 »

nightwatch wrote:
First, make sure you're following the obvious. If this isn't it I saw a topic on the VSL forum today about troubles connecting to a slave. Look there. Also make sure your launching the server version of VEP. I've seen people launch the non server version and not realize it.

Please make sure that a ViennaKey with a Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 license (or demo license) is connected to your master computer. Then

2) In your sequencer, insert Vienna Ensemble Pro as a VST/VST3/AU/RTAS/AAX/MAS instrument

3) The Server Interface will open. Click Connect and choose 127.0.0.1 localhost [32] (NEW) or 127.0.0.1 localhost [64] (NEW)

4) A new instance of Vienna Ensemble PRO appears – and you can start exploring right away.
To connect to a Vienna Ensemble PRO Server on a slave computer over LAN, connect your ViennaKey to your slave computer and start the Vienna Ensemble Pro Server or Vienna Ensemble Pro Server (64-bit) – then proceed with step 2 from above. You will see the IP address of your slave computer instead of 127.0.0.1, if your network connection works.

My host is a Mac Pro 2010 Quad Core 2.7 gigahertz with 32 gigs of ram. My slave is a 4930K, 3.5 gigahertz PC loaded with Windows 8.1, all SSDs and 64 gigs of ram. I have one screen connected to the PC and one screen connected to the Mac. The samples are loaded on the PC and ready to go.

I doubled checked and I do have Is "Advertise On Local Network" checked in VEP.

I also followed the steps from above, making sure I'm launching the 64-bit server first, then loading VEPro (stereo) as an instrument.

I have a ViennaKey with a Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 license for the MAC. I also have another ViennaKey with a Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 license for the PC.

Before yesterday I've hadn't been in this forum for awhile. Since VEPro pulled the MAS plug-in and is returning to Beta testing, does that mean I do not have the MAS plug-in since I just dowloaded VEPro two days ago?

I will check the VEPro forums regarding problems connecting to a slave machine. I'm probably overlooking a basic step. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile if you can think of anything else, I'm all ears. I'm so close to finally getting these sounds good to go and do so in DP!

thanks
HARDWARE:

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:
nightwatch wrote:

My host is a Mac Pro 2010 Quad Core 2.7 gigahertz with 32 gigs of ram. My slave is a 4930K, 3.5 gigahertz PC loaded with Windows 8.1, all SSDs and 64 gigs of ram. I have one screen connected to the PC and one screen connected to the Mac. The samples are loaded on the PC and ready to go.

I also followed the steps from above, making sure I'm launching the 64-bit server first, then loading VEPro (stereo) as an instrument.

I have a ViennaKey with a Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 license for the MAC. I also have another ViennaKey with a Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 license for the PC.

Before yesterday I've hadn't been in this forum for awhile. Since VEPro pulled the MAS plug-in and is returning to Beta testing, does that mean I do not have the MAS plug-in since I just dowloaded VEPro two days ago?

I will check the VEPro forums regarding problems connecting to a slave machine. I'm probably overlooking a basic step. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile if you can think of anything else, I'm all ears. I'm so close to finally getting these sounds good to go and do so in DP!

thanks
Let me think on your issue. You can check to see if you have the MAS version of VEP installed on your Mac via several ways. In DP, in the Plug-In Chooser, when you go to select Vienna Ensemble Pro, to the right does it say MAS, AU or VST? That's your answer.

If you want to control and make sure of what you have do this:

1) In DP>Prefs>Audio Plug-Ins: Look at all the MAS plugins and see if Vienna Ensemble Pro is listed. It will be one of the last MAS plugins listed. If it's there, then you still have that version. Deselect it and make sure your default plugin type for VEP is checked. (I doubt you have a MAS version. But in case you do, go to the MAS plugins folder and manually remove it - directions to get to the folder below).

2) Confirm what version you have and report it back to me. Go to Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Component (and the VST and MAS folders too) and find the Vienna Ensemble Pro plugin. Get info on it and tell me the version number.

I have the beta version which works perfectly. So it shouldn't be too long for the release.

Hang in there. You're close!

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:
nightwatch wrote:

thanks
Has your PC slave worked in the past? If so, when you installed the MAS version, did it break? (that should not happen). Is the PC connected to the internet? Do you have a manual IP address assigned?

I'm guessing it has something to do with your PC's IP address.

A far as your AU and VST plugins not showing up.. Do they show up in DP, but not in VEP? Did you go to your VST and Components folder in the Library and see if your plug-ins are there?

If they show up in DP, but not in VEP it has to either be a permissions issue or a weird install issue.

Repair permissions.
Go to VSL, download and install the latest VEP.
Repair permissions again.

Let me know.