Parallel Compression

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
richardein
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Parallel Compression

Post by richardein »

Anyone doing parallel compression here? What compressors are you using? I tried it with the Masterworks Limiter and got what I think were phasing problems. Any tips?
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
Shooshie

Re: Parallel Compression

Post by Shooshie »

richardein wrote:Anyone doing parallel compression here? What compressors are you using? I tried it with the Masterworks Limiter and got what I think were phasing problems. Any tips?
Parallel compression with a look-ahead compressor/limiter will definitely get you phase problems. Within MOTU's plugin delay compensation, look-ahead limiters will typically stake out about 80ms of time before the sequence even begins. You're asking it to compensate for the same track twice, and that is most likely going to lead to problems. It may work better if you duplicate the track and try blending those after the plugins. That's just an idea; I don't know if it works.

Maybe someone here does parallel compression all the time and can offer better advice. I'm just saying that I'd expect this to be a technical problem, and if there is a solution I wouldn't expect it to be extremely simple.

Good to see you, Richard. Been a while! :D

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When I read the OP, my thought was how could you not?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Many compressor plug-ins now have parallel compression built in, you just adjust a wet/dry control to balance it the way you want.

But if you don't have that, or want more control, parallel compression in DP is easy.

I'll use a stereo instance as an example.

- Assign the source tracks to a stereo bus (bus 1-2).
- Create two Aux Tracks and assign bus 1-2 as their input.
- Insert a compressor on one of the Aux tracks but not on the other one.
- Or, alternatively, insert a compressor on both Aux tracks, compress one lightly and compress the other heavily.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:Many compressor plug-ins now have parallel compression built in, you just adjust a wet/dry control to balance it the way you want.

But if you don't have that, or want more control, parallel compression in DP is easy.

I'll use a stereo instance as an example.

- Assign the source tracks to a stereo bus (bus 1-2).
- Create two Aux Tracks and assign bus 1-2 as their input.
- Insert a compressor on one of the Aux tracks but not on the other one.
- Or, alternatively, insert a compressor on both Aux tracks, compress one lightly and compress the other heavily.
I used to do that a lot, especially to create fatter bass tracks, but I haven't done it in a long time, and I have forgotten whether auto-delay-compensation takes care of it when you split it across two auxes that way, what with look-ahead processing and all.

There was a time when I knew this, and it seemed like it worked, but then I had some experience with Waves compressors that just didn't want to line up with other Waves compressors in parallel arrangement. THAT, however, was about 4 version numbers ago. Maybe it all works now. Are we beyond those problems?

I've been doing straight-ahead recording/mixing for the past 4 or 5 years, without pushing any envelopes, disk or processor limits, and I am just not comfortable with my memory on all that fancy stuff, now, since it seems like we were still having to work all that stuff out back when I was doing it. So what say you? Will ADC take care of all our parallel aux tracks?

Back to Richard Einhorn, you ought to try Slate Digital's FG/X compressor. Once you figure out how it works (you have to set the working range of each module within it before you start hearing results), it's an amazing tool, and if I recall correctly it offers parallel wet/dry processing.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:So what say you? Will ADC take care of all our parallel aux tracks?
I use Parallel compression in most of my projects, and I almost never have a problem with phasing. I say almost, because once in a great while (like two or three times a year, probably), DP's ADC will get confused and things will not line up, but a reboot takes care of it. There is always a chance that some lone plug-in will cause trouble, but I can't even remember the last time that has happened.

I say go for it. :)
DP10.13
richardein

Post by richardein »

Shooshie, Thanks for the tip on the Slate compressor.

Dan, what compressor do you use that does not - or rarely- creates a phase problem?
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Am I remembering correctly that the FG-X is still 32 bit?

Grazie...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

The various compressors from PSP all have mix knobs for parallel processing. Vintage Warmer 2 on drums works great in this application!
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

buzzsmith wrote:Am I remembering correctly that the FG-X is still 32 bit?

Grazie...

Buzzy
Still 32 bit and almost August.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Seems like this would do the trick perfectly, and it woks with DP's ADC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjAWGsx ... f&index=46

I've not used it for parallel compression, but I have used it in the primary application, lining up mics. It gives you tremendously precise control over the phase relationship, and it won't affect the tones.. plus, you already have it! :mrgreen:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

richardein wrote:Dan, what compressor do you use that does not - or rarely- creates a phase problem?
Gee, uh, let's see:

* = has built-in parallel control, but I have used them routed as described.

- Fab Filter Pro C*

- Klanghelm DC8C*

- Kush Audio UBK1*

- NI Vintage Compressors (I use the old versions through Guitar Rig because I can't get the new ones to activate, neither can NI. I think (though not sure) the newer versions, which are independent of GR, have built-in parallel compression.)

- Any of the Nomad compressors, but I don't remember if I've used any as of late.

- Some IK stuff (but because of the way they do the Custom Shop, and how all the plug-ins show up in the plug-in menu whether they're licensed or not, I forget what I have licensed, so I tend not to use them anymore. It's irritating.

- PSP OldTimer

- Tokyo Dawn Labs Feedback Compressor* (freeware)

Note: I don't use DP's Dynamics or MW Compressor.

I really haven't had any trouble with parallel compression within DP. I mix a lot of funk and jazz, so if it's not dead on, I'd be fired, not that it would be tolerated in any other genre.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Tokyo Dawn Labs Feedback Compressor II does have Wet/Dry. Pick it up, it's free.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
richardein

Post by richardein »

Thanks, killahurts, that looks like it could be very helpful
Richard Einhorn

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I just quickly tested the MW Compressor in parallel. It causes phasing, probably (not sure) because it's multiband, which isn't a good choice for parallel compression anyway.

The DP's Dynamics plug-in seems to be okay, even when tweaking the attack and release.

MW Limiter (which you said you used) causes phasing, especially after changing the lookahead and release times. But I don't know why you'd use the MW Limiter for parallel compression.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Isn't that because the MW is meant to be used on the master channel?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8