Mapping the Akai MPD32 to BPM Tap Tmp & Nt Rpt

Moderator: ssp

scrizzle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mapping the Akai MPD32 to BPM Tap Tmp & Nt Rpt

Post by scrizzle »

Whats Happenin BPM'rs 1st time poster here, and was just wondering if this is an Akai issue or a Motu issue. Just got the update yesterday so I really hadn't dug into it yet. Never really had much of an issue w/ the last version of BPM so thats what made the new update even sweeter. So I definitely love all of the new enhancements made, but I was wondering can the tap tempo and note repeat buttons on the MPD32 even be mapped to control the tap tempo & note repeat functions in BPM. I easily mapped them to other buttons w/ the MIDI learn but am I doing something wrong or is it even possible to map to these 2 buttons. If so that would be really cool, if not its not a deal breaker or anything, the software and controller together is still a Beast together!
BrianL

Re: Mapping the Akai MPD32 to BPM Tap Tmp & Nt Rpt

Post by BrianL »

We'd purchased the MPD32 for the sake of controlling the new BPM 1.5. However, since receiving the upgrade and the MPD32 a few days ago, we've found some issues with it.

The MPD has its own 'note repeat' which when activated, imposes the MPD32's repeats and timing on whatever software or hardware (using MIDI I/O) that is being used with it. On top of that, the MPD note repeat only goes up to 1/32 and will in no complete way ever be able to match BPM note repeat resolutions 1 to 1; in that, it has no provisions for the 1/64 resolution in BPM.

Therefore, you essentially end up with warring features when it comes to the matter of the MPD32/BPM and Note Repeat.

Even so and even with all that being said, BPM itself currently can't even fully take advantage of its high Note repeat resolutions, so in some ways this works out for the MPD32.

In regard to using the Tap Tempo, (With BPM in Stand-Alone Mode) simply be sure the MPD is using its own internal clock and set BPM to 'Sync To Host'. I got it working this way, but it seems like there's some lag/delay/latency when tapping the tempo in via the MPD. By that, I mean, I watched as I tapped a tempo in and BPM's Tempo seemed to float around a bit before it settled on a final number. That's pretty weird as far as I'm concerned!

Turning on the BPM AutoPlay button seemed like it may have improved this, but I also felt like I might be imagining an improvement. Either way, you can do the same and decide for yourself if that works out.

Not being able to trigger the BPM note repeat via the controller and have them matched 1/1 in regards to resolution is a big deal for my camp and has us ready to change up for something else controller wise! We also wanted BPM to control more parameters than it turns out being able to (looking for that 'touch the mouse and keyboard less' experience). SaintJoe recently showed how he has Maschine's Hardware controller working with the BPM upgrade; I'm thinking we may end up going that route.
Last edited by BrianL on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scrizzle

Post by scrizzle »

Ok kool it is what it I guess. Thanks for the reply bruh, very informative.
ssp

Post by ssp »

with my controller i am lucky that the in built editor and the software has several ways of how the buttons operate.

on/off simple push to make release to open.
radio: push for on hold for a few seconds
toggle: push and the switch will keep its max value until pressed again where it resets to off

the problem with the mpd32 is that even the editor does not allow you to turn all note repeat functions off, also you cannot assign it a function as just a tactile button.

the other option you have is to assign tap tempo to another button on a different control bank and just switch back and fore when needed, you can also do this for the tap tempo also make sure your button is set to momentary.

you still need to use the mouse occasionally with bpm, the addition of up/down/left/right assignability is good for some things.

now another alternative for those of you who dont have the inclination of building a controller like I did is to get hold of the jazz mutant lemur which is totally modular in the fact you can actually design the interface for the unit. the other bonus is the fact it is multi touch.

I will be looking into one of these shortly and hopefully putting it through its paces with bpm

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Brian Wrote: In regard to using the Tap Tempo, (With BPM in Stand-Alone Mode) simply be sure the MPD is using its own internal clock and set BPM to 'Sync To Host'. I got it working this way, but it seems like there's some lag/delay/latency when tapping the tempo in via the MPD. By that, I mean, I watched as I tapped a tempo in and BPM's Tempo seemed to float around a bit before it settled on a final number. That's pretty weird as far as I'm concerned!

Brian I tried this exact same thing,but can't seem to make it work. Any other settings you had to do?
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

Brian I tried this exact same thing,but can't seem to make it work. Any other settings you had to do?
Unfortunately not, the only thing I did was set the MPD to use its internal clock via the editor. Then in BPM, I enabled Sync to Host and it worked. Are you making sure the MPD clock is set to 'Internal'?
BrianL

Post by BrianL »

The only other thing I could say try is to go into BPM's Remote screen and try clicking MIDI learn for tap tempo; then tap the MPD three or four times. If I recall correctly (I no longer have the MPD), you'll see the CC number 95 appear; save that then try and see if Tap Tempo works with the Sync To Host turned on...

I believe I removed this CC though...so I'm not sure its what's missing for you or not.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Ok will try thanks
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2