Loading UVI Sounds..

Moderator: ssp

saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Loading UVI Sounds..

Post by saintjoe »

yeah fam, the uvi soundbank demo just made me want them that much more, I already purchased classic eps, love it.
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
b-righteous
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by b-righteous »

What up saintjoe!

Been looking at getting some more packs since UVI workstation can run even without BPM. (tired of protesting)

Retro Organs (formerly charlie) seems to be sick and I hear nothing but praises for Synth Anthology.

I picked up Hip Hop planet and 7th. Both were nice. Hip hop planet is along the lines of what you get stock with the drum kits, hits and phrases. Top notch real Hip Hop samples. Edit: Went through it again and the kits are put together a bit better than the stock kits.

7th sounds great and was sampled very well. Unfortunately, it's more a clean Rhodes vs the Mark 1 so it does not growl and bark as much. It also does not have as much a bell tone. Still works great for softer ballads though and it can be amped to give it more grit.

I also got the vintage keyboards and I don't like them as much as Scarbee's EP's.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

I have the classic ep joint and I love it, yes, scarbee is the master but this is good too lol.

I def want to checkout synth anthology just based off of the free stuff in the demo bank.

I like that uvi workstation can run without bpm so I can use the sounds in various settings.

but I can't lie man, I'm really starting to dig bpm for straight up original work. I don't care too much for it when it comes to chopping samples and stuff, not at the moment, but for just using my drums/riffs and using their instruments...I'm loving it.

I like the feel of the engine, the sound, the groove I can get without using any quantize or anything, and for some reason it seems to respond to velocity very well...and I'm using the maschine controller ;)

lemme know what you get and what you think, I will be checking them out as well
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Cool. BPM does have a nice feel and sound out the box. I do plan to get more packs soon.

A heads up on Hip Hop Planet. I found that it does suffer the same issue as the stock BPM kits. Looking closer there are about 8 standard percussion and drums that are in every kit. So for each kit you get 6-8 unique drums. The difference is that the standard drums are nice and seem to just blend well with everything. The 6-8 unique elements in each kit do really match together perfect so you don't feel quite as cheated like on the stock kits.

Basically, each kit is 6-8 pads mixed with 1 generic 8-10 pad kit. You also get folders of unique hits, vox, and x samples like you get with the stock library. Given that, I still recommend this pack. Someone stated before the kits are a little more gritty and compliment the stock library well. Most important, they inspire you to make beats.

I downloaded Overloud's TH-1 demo and used it on the 7th. Man, it really sounds good to me. Liking it better than Guitar rig and Amplitude so far.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

thanks for the heads up man lol, that's one thing I didn't like is the sharing of the same percs, but it's all good, I can still mix in my own. I also want to checkout percussion store.

Overloud huh? Better than amplitube 3? Man I gotta check it lol, I'm gonna peep the seventh as well, I love rhodes lol.

The sample layering in BPM is sick, this is how it should be. Since I have it mapped to the Maschine controller, I'm feeling good man, lol.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

We think alike. Was looking hard at the percussion store and it seems like just the solution. What's cool is that you don't have to use it in the racks like some UVI libraries. In the demo I noticed the percussion store stuff loads to the banks with each pad velocity layered.

Eric, the same guy who did the stock kits did Hip Hop planet. I guess he just took 1 base drum kit and built other kits by replacing 6-8 pieces. I build drum kits too so I understand and don't mind that approach. But he could have used at least 8 base kits vs just one lol. Still sick though.

Keep in mind the TH-1 is my first impression and I don't have all the Fender/Hendrix versions of Amplitube 3. Not sure if it is better than Amplitube overall but I immediately liked the tone of the amps and cabinets. The Phasers, whah, and reverb are very nice too. Coming from a guy just looking for nice effects and amps for the keys. I also own Synthsquad and Overloud did the Fusor effects and I love those too.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Another heads up on the groove. I saw your preview and wanted to hip you on a way to turn off the input quantize with the Q button on the bottom right. Also note there is a latency bug in BPM stand alone that raises your sound card latency regardless of how it reads in BPM. Try using it in a host to avoid the extra latency and see if that works. I also hit you up on NI forums about it.

Peace!
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

b-righteous wrote:We think alike. Was looking hard at the percussion store and it seems like just the solution. What's cool is that you don't have to use it in the racks like some UVI libraries. In the demo I noticed the percussion store stuff loads to the banks with each pad velocity layered.

Eric, the same guy who did the stock kits did Hip Hop planet. I guess he just took 1 base drum kit and built other kits by replacing 6-8 pieces. I build drum kits too so I understand and don't mind that approach. But he could have used at least 8 base kits vs just one lol. Still sick though.

Keep in mind the TH-1 is my first impression and I don't have all the Fender/Hendrix versions of Amplitube 3. Not sure if it is better than Amplitube overall but I immediately liked the tone of the amps and cabinets. The Phasers, whah, and reverb are very nice too. Coming from a guy just looking for nice effects and amps for the keys. I also own Synthsquad and Overloud did the Fusor effects and I love those too.

yessir, i'm gonna peep it then lol. I understand the programming, but it was a lil let down since what was there was good!
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

b-righteous wrote:Another heads up on the groove. I saw your preview and wanted to hip you on a way to turn off the input quantize with the Q button on the bottom right. Also note there is a latency bug in BPM stand alone that raises your sound card latency regardless of how it reads in BPM. Try using it in a host to avoid the extra latency and see if that works. I also hit you up on NI forums about it.

Peace!

yeah, I ended up figuring that one out...

I wish there was a global setting for that, it's cool that it's flexible per bank and rack/part

but i'd like to be able to just turn it off all together on a global level, sometimes I forget and be like "man what the..." then I see it

WHY is it on by default? lol.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

A head scratcher for sure. I wish the groove controls worked per bank instead. Maybe if you set a template up in a host it will save the state of the input quantize and other settings as a workaround.

OT but after more time with TH-1 I feel Amplitube is better overall for guitar leads and distortion. They are different and I would recommend both for guitar and keyboard effects. Both kill Guitar rig IMO. TH-1 has nicer phaser/flanger and wah for keys. Amplitube has a nice spring reverb for that live sound. TH-1 is nice for a studio reverb. I just got the Fender add on for Amplitube and I was quite surprised! Not just more of the same. It adds some nice warm Amps to round off the selection and adds some very cool new effects. :D
Last edited by b-righteous on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

A couple more tips.

BPM does have a hidden note erase feature. It's not on the GUI but it is assignable to a CC. I forget which one but you can search the forum. Also, double clicking on the bank buttons updates the browser to the current kit. I don't think these are in the manual.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

cool, thanks for the amp comparison

I did find the double click thing previously by messing around but not note erase, gonna have to look that one up.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Found a way to get the 7th to sound more "vintage". Using the dry full preset, just turn on the amp drive to mild or analog and turn the drive knob between 10-20. I was also able to enhance the singing bell tone and growl buy using the exciter effect in the EQ section. Just dropped it in with default settings and turned up the reverb a touch and it worked like a charm. I now love this EP. Turning the SP mode on made it sound cool too. I like how you have some nice usable effects right in BPM.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah man, the fx section is definitely a keeper, I really like it as well. They are more "useful" so to speak, instead of cool, tweaker like fx, if that makes sense?

It's more of the stuff you use all the time when making, producing, and mixing music, instead of a bunch of stuff you use when tweaking/performing or designing new obscure sounds.

I like that one too, but I still love the classic ep lol.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

What's up saintjoe. I just checked your Hip Hop planet review and it was spot on. Right now it really compares more to typical Hip Hop sample packs you get in .wav/apple loops etc. For a bank in proprietary format, you expect the kits to be put together better. I think it is still worth it for the price I paid but that was only $99.00 US. I think they should consider updating this pack with better kit construction and more percussion content. Maybe even do the FlexLoop thing they did with 1.5 by breaking down the patterns. They could also add a few multi-sample instruments for hip hop.