big CPU use when bpm is in logic

Moderator: ssp

M-Goldie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

big CPU use when bpm is in logic

Post by M-Goldie »

i'm getting a big CPU hit trying to use BPM in logic. sometimes it gets unplayable (cpu overload) and i have to quit, but then its ok for a while. like its caching it or something.

generally though even when its working properly the CPU is being pushed to 50% with just one instance of BPM. and this is with presets, nothing fancy.

anyone getting similar?
OSX 10.6.4 / logic pro 9 / reason 5 / bias peak 6 / bpm 1.5 /
Fahrenheit 451

Re: big CPU use when bpm is in logic

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

BPM 1.5 seems to clock in at about 25% (give or take) on my Mac. I have a Dual Quad Core 2.8ghz w/12 GB RAM. I love BPM though... Can't wait for the next version, upgrade or update.
grassrootking

Post by grassrootking »

M-Goldie,

Your not the only one experiencing this problem. I have noticed this unusually high CPU hit since v.1.0. I usually keep my buffers at 512 just so I can use it. Even at that setting the CPU hovers around 35-40% on 1 of my cores when playing just a few sounds. I would expect better performance since i'm on an 8-core MacPro

-GK
THETOC

Post by THETOC »

I'm using MOTU 1.05 (old) on a MacPro 8core (10.6.8/old) with onboard
sound (bad/inbetween buying a new soundcard)

CHANGED: BPM runs with 128ms latency with luck ..256ms is better. The
Mac onboard sound gives 64ms or 32ms with luck. The Upgrade 1.5.2 does
not do things better ..it actually makes things worse. Sorry, i'm out.
Last edited by THETOC on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
itsthenoise
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by itsthenoise »

Sorry Motu but your time is up.

I have a 8 Core Mac Pro [ very powerful machine ], but when using BPM in Logic 9 I can only do very quick pattern work; if I use it for longer than 3 minutes the CPU meter starts screaming and crackling.

Well the sad thing is that Akai Renaissance is coming and if Motu don't fix this very soon I will be investing in that because much as I love BPM [ which I think is brilliant ] it's unusable for me.

It's crazy that Motu can come up with such a great piece of software but shoot themselves in the foot by making it such a pain to use with the a very important bit of professional software like Logic???

Too long between updates also.
BRW

Post by BRW »

What Logic version are you folks using? For me the last stable and "worries-free" version was 9.1.1. Everything after that has been unusable - CPU spikes and general processor weirdness. I'm still on Snow Leopard.

BPM has always been a bit of a resource hog, sadly, especially in Logic. :/
itsthenoise

Post by itsthenoise »

I'm still on Snow Leopard as Logic 9.1.4 is pretty stable on this, BPM however is a horror show; load one bank of 16 sounds onto the BPM [ in Logic ] and within 10 minutes it's game over.

My computer doesn't have problems with lots of instances of Nebula though, been waiting too long for an update for BPM I dont' think I'd ever trust Motu again.
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

i hardly use BPM in logic now due to this memory/cpu issue.
i really like a lot of aspects of BPM but MOTU and UVI are, in my opinion, killing it through lack of support and performance improvements.
i've got some UVI soundbanks which run fine with their UVI player, so I suspect (could be wrong) that they could improve the performance of BPM.
OSX 10.6.4 / logic pro 9 / reason 5 / bias peak 6 / bpm 1.5 /
BRW

Post by BRW »

M-Goldie wrote: i really like a lot of aspects of BPM but MOTU and UVI are, in my opinion, killing it through lack of support and performance improvements.
i've got some UVI soundbanks which run fine with their UVI player, so I suspect (could be wrong) that they could improve the performance of BPM.
Well, I'm sure we all remember that the crucial 1.5.1 update took almost years...I think it is a matter of priority, and needless to say, BPM isn't on their minds. I think it's UVI's responsibility, and they seem more inclined towards developing new instrument libraries - makes sense, it brings income whereas updating an existing product doesn't... :(

I agree that it certainly has its benefits. When using it with a dedicated pad controller (I use a Korg padKontrol), BPM is the best as a virtual drum machine. The workflow in constructing beats (or chaining patterns) is great, as is the support for drag-n-drop samples. It also sounds punchy without any effects (and the included MOTU effects add another dimension).

It's not really a Maschine or MPC replacement (an all-in-the-box beat machine, that is) - even with the MIDI controls, it just isn't intuitive in that way...plus sampling/slicing isn't all that great. You need to touch your mouse a lot. Plus, the folder system sucks.
THETOC

Post by THETOC »

>Well, I'm sure we all remember that the crucial 1.5.1 update took almost >years...I think it is a matter of priority, and needless to say, BPM isn't >on their minds.

..and not a month later a new update 1.5.2 is there which brings us 64bit
OSX 10.6 upwards/Windows8 PLUS the latest UVI engine (UVI Engine XT) :-)

64bit and improved CPU performance sounds good to me, let's check it out.
grassrootking

Post by grassrootking »

No CPU improvement over here with 1.5.2 on OSX 10.6.8, Logic 9.1.6, 2008 Mac Pro 8-Core. Still have the "no output" sampling source selection bug but the random cycle sample selection bug has been fixed...
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I am a big fan of MOTU, DP user, etc., but I have pretty much given up on BPM.
It constantly causes CPU spikes. The only way it runs smoothly is when I run it in DP's pre-gen mode, which means I can't have the plug window open, which is pretty much next to useless while working on a track. By contrast, Maschine works just fine, is actually much easier to use (for the most part) and I think it comes with a pretty good library. Sorry MOTU, BPM=fail.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
elohimfetus

Post by elohimfetus »

It is such a shame...

I had the same issues with Mach Five killing the CPU triggering very simple programs with MIDI. Issue was stand alone and as plugin in Logic. The only cure I found was to open the Program in BPM. It was like night and day...CPU was down to 8 percent. I only ran into issues with BPM and CPU when I try to do allot of effects and parts instead of just for drums or less complicated beats. I love how BPM works, but for me BPM is very unstable, it crashes 3 out of 5 time I use it. Its never really been stable and it, mixed with the MF3 cpu issues, have caused me to seriously consider going back to using hardware.

The "shame" is that BPM could be the perfect virtual drum machine but MOTU has not capitalized on it. Its almost as if MOTU lost faith in it... and don't believe it will ever really compete with Maschine and REN/Studio from a sales perspective. In truth its unique feature (at this point) is that it efficiently plays and integrates with the Mach Five programs and UVI instruments. BUT this was the same key factor that Maschine had in the beginning with all of the NI instruments. NI used that to help push the entire idea! NI raised the bar and MOTU backed off. And we are stuck trying to make our investment work... I believe that with all of the instruments that UVI makes and the awsome power of Mach 5, MOTU could be a player in the integrated controller software game but I'm not sure they believe that. And that is unfortunate. They gave the world the idea with the freaking picture of BPM but never delivered the idea themselves.

I would like to see MOTU either:
1.Create stable and efficient BPM 2.0
2.Create stable and efficient BPM 2.0 with an integrated hardware controller and really get back in the game.
3. Pay either NI, or Akai, or somebody, to support the use of MachFive programs natively. The way BPM uses them.