Can I completely use MachFive instead of Ethno?

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I completely use MachFive instead of Ethno?

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I was totally delighted to discover I can access Ethno Instruments' sounds right from MachFive. The latter has the same IRCAM, and sounds as good as the original instrument itself.

So, now I'm wondering if I should delete the Ethno instances from my template and simply access Ethno from MF when needed... Since I haven't RTFM, I don't know if I would be missing any features particular to Ethno.

What do you guys think? Can I get the same from Ethno's library by using either sampler?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Can I completely use MachFive instead of Ethno?

Post by hugy »

Yup.
You will only lose some microtonal presets.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Excellent!

Thank you for your answer.

Then I´ll keep using it from MF, and only access Ethno if I ever use the microtones.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's funny, I did the comparison last year, which took a few hours in terms of really verifying that nothing is lost when going from one to the other (just very different presentation and organizational styles).

I decided to keep using Ethno 2 on its own though, because I almost always use the microtone scales.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH