2018 Macbook Pro High Sierra - Digital Noise

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
kirky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2018 Macbook Pro High Sierra - Digital Noise

Post by kirky »

Hi there,

I own a 8M and an Ultralite AVB. Both worked fine on my previous macbook retina. Since two weeks I own a 2018 macbook pro. Great machine. But when using my motu interfaces connected per USB Dongle, every 30-60 mins I get digital noise on my output signal for a few seconds. It sounds exactly like the sound a sync-problem makes, but there is definitely no sync problem since the interfaces clock is set to internal and my DAW (Ableton 10) has the same sample rate as the interface. Has anybody else issues with High Sierra or the new macbooks for that matter? I have filled a techlink, but support doesn't seem to be able to help me either until now... I have all the latest firmware and drivers installed.
Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Roger
jsaturday

Re: 2018 Macbook Pro High Sierra - Digital Noise

Post by jsaturday »

I have been having the same issue with the Ultralite MK4 and my new 2018 MacBook. No luck figuring it out.

I have tested multiple dongles, as well as direct USB-B to USB-C cables.
avf

Post by avf »

I have a similar issue with my Ultralite Mk4 and my MBP 2018. After 30-40 min the interface either stops receiving any audio from the computer or everything starts to sound weird. Sometimes just one of the channels (left or right) disappears.

So far techsupport couldn't help me. I brought the computer to the shop yesterday to see whether the hardware causes the problems. But I highly doubt it. For me this looks more like a driver or firmware problem. Either the Motu software doesn't like the 2018 MBP or vice versa (I heard the T2 chip causes some problems).

I never had these problems with my old Macbook.

Does anyone know more?
amok_san

Post by amok_san »

Same Problem here, 2018 Macbook Pro, Audio Express via USB.

Tried a plethora of cables and dongles. Tried messing with all kinds of settings including interface, energy saving, bluetooth, airport to no avail.

The harsh digital sounding audio hiccup keeps happening while listening to or producing music.

Oddly enough, i can produce an extreme audio dropout anytime by enabling or disabling location services in the security settings of osx.

I sure hope a driver fix by motu or apple will surface rather sooner than later.
amok_san

Post by amok_san »

I've seen someone claim they returned their macbook, got a new one, and now have no issues.

Is there anybody whose 2018 macbook pro works with a motu interface without problems?
Or any usb interface for that matter?
jsaturday

Post by jsaturday »

I have had no issues with my Focusrite Scarlett, for what it’s worth.
momahonyb

Post by momahonyb »

jsaturday wrote:I have had no issues with my Focusrite Scarlett, for what it’s worth.
Hi, I have the exact same problem with my Moto and was thinking of buying a scarlett instead. I just wanted to confirm that you are also using the Scarlett on a 2018 macbook pro and that is works without any problems?

Thanks!!!
jsaturday

Post by jsaturday »

momahonyb wrote: Hi, I have the exact same problem with my Moto and was thinking of buying a scarlett instead. I just wanted to confirm that you are also using the Scarlett on a 2018 macbook pro and that is works without any problems?

Thanks!!!
Correct, no issues with Focusrite on my 2018 MacBook Pro!
amok_san

Post by amok_san »

Say, did any of you use the original Apple USB-C-Adapter and still had an issue?
taka

Post by taka »

I don't know if this is relevant, but I used to have 8Pre FW, and at some point, (can't remember which version of OS X), it started to make digital, whining noise.

For this problem, I found that the solution was to keep its digital optical output preference (in old MOTU Audio System app) to ADAT, even if there's nothing connected, and the problem went away.

I was using 2011 quad core Mac Mini.

Maybe worth a try?
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
avf

Post by avf »

The problem persists. Quite frustrating is the fact, that Motu-Techsupport apparently is not working on the problem. They keep on replying that it is a OS 10.13 problem, although it is obvious that it is something driver related in connection with to 2018 MBPs.

However, I still hope that a fix a will come soon. I just don't know from which side to expect it.

Interestingly the appearance of the dropouts changed a little since 10.14.. Whenever there is dropout I can "fix" it, but turning the "Computer Audio Controls" on/off in the preferences of the interface. It is almost as if the interface goes to sleep and needs to be woken up....
weblogik

Post by weblogik »

Hey everyone i am having the same problem, 2018 MBP fully loaded:
I wrote to tech support, they say it's on Apple and it doesnt sound like they are doing anything about it:

Below, is what i wrote, but i have since upgraded to Mojave and still having the issue. Tech is telling me to go back to 10.12, but cannot promise i wont still have the issues.

System information
OSMac OS 10.13
OS version10.13
CPU2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
RAM 32
Additional information
Details
I currently upgraded from a Macbook Pro mid 2015 to a Mid 2018 Macbook Pro. Previous was running OS Sierra 10.12 and the Ultra Lite MK4 never gave me any issues whatsoever. On the new Macbook everything is working apparently fine, but then out of nowhere in the middle of a Ableton Live Session the audio will completely cut out. Completely dead. If i unplug the USB cable from the soundcard and plug it back in, it immediately comes back as soon as it recognizes it without any need to restart the soundcard or the DAW. The Macbook Pro has only USB C inputs, so I'm using an Apple USB to USB-C adapter. I have all latest drivers and firmware.
The second issue happens even when not working on Audio. the best way I can describe it is, the low end drops off and the high end has a static like metallic sound. Once again unplugging and plugging back in fixes this. I have even tried to switch out the adapter and it is still happening. Maybe a corrupt driver?

Currently I'm extremely concerned about this as I have spent almost $5,000 on a new laptop that is giving me so many problems. I couldnt find anything online about this,
gusss
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by gusss »

any update on this ? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a macbook pro 2018 and have a motu 24ao. This is slightly worrying....
gusss
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by gusss »

weblogik wrote:Hey everyone i am having the same problem, 2018 MBP fully loaded:
I wrote to tech support, they say it's on Apple and it doesnt sound like they are doing anything about it:

Below, is what i wrote, but i have since upgraded to Mojave and still having the issue. Tech is telling me to go back to 10.12, but cannot promise i wont still have the issues.

System information
OSMac OS 10.13
OS version10.13
CPU2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
RAM 32
Additional information
Details
I currently upgraded from a Macbook Pro mid 2015 to a Mid 2018 Macbook Pro. Previous was running OS Sierra 10.12 and the Ultra Lite MK4 never gave me any issues whatsoever. On the new Macbook everything is working apparently fine, but then out of nowhere in the middle of a Ableton Live Session the audio will completely cut out. Completely dead. If i unplug the USB cable from the soundcard and plug it back in, it immediately comes back as soon as it recognizes it without any need to restart the soundcard or the DAW. The Macbook Pro has only USB C inputs, so I'm using an Apple USB to USB-C adapter. I have all latest drivers and firmware.
The second issue happens even when not working on Audio. the best way I can describe it is, the low end drops off and the high end has a static like metallic sound. Once again unplugging and plugging back in fixes this. I have even tried to switch out the adapter and it is still happening. Maybe a corrupt driver?

Currently I'm extremely concerned about this as I have spent almost $5,000 on a new laptop that is giving me so many problems. I couldnt find anything online about this,
what happened ?
weblogik

Post by weblogik »

I returned the 2018 MBP and i'm back on my 2015 running 10.12

Could have switched soundcard but didn't want to deal with the aggravation any more!