828mk3, 8 Pre - Not Recognizing ADAT on Start Up, Whitenoise

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
patmccay
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828mk3, 8 Pre - Not Recognizing ADAT on Start Up, Whitenoise

Post by patmccay »

Upon start up, my iMac, my 828 mk3 Hybrid and my 8Pre are all turning on basically at the same time (all on the same power strip) and once my iMac is booted I open Logic and go to one of my existing projects which has Analog and ADAT channels. When I go to record across all tracks, only the Analog ones record - the 828 analog inputs, not the 8 Pre's ADAT inputs - record. It seems the sync is not there - the 828 does not seem to recognize the 8 Pre channels, despite the LEDs saying differently.

I then have to shut off the 8Pre and turn it back on and try again, at least a couple times - usually around 2-3 times, sometimes much more - to get it to start recording the ADAT tracks. Eventually when when it does finally recognize it, the outputs get absolutely BLASTED with a single loud crash of white noise. Once that happens, everything starts recording and everything is fine but obviously it's very annoying.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks!
patmccay

Re: 828mk3, 8 Pre - Not Recognizing ADAT on Start Up, Whiten

Post by patmccay »

Bump for anyone who can help?

Note: I reworded things to make it more clear hopefully. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

What is your digital audio clock source?

You can slave the 828 to the 8Pre or vice-versa. But one or the other MUST be the master. If the 828 is the master, then you must use a second optical cable , running from the 828 to 8Pre from which the 8Pre will derive its clock. If the 8Pre is to be the master, then the 828 must be slaved to the 8Pre ADAT output.

Please explain how you have your clocking set up.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I have the same setup. My 8PRE is slaved to the MKIII via ADAT.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
patmccay

Post by patmccay »

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In "MOTU Audio Setup" I have my 828 clocked to 'internal' and Optical Input Bank A & Optical Output Bank A set to 'ADAT Optical' (I have a screenshot but I guess you can't upload photos here).

And I have one ADAT cable going from 828 out to 8 Pre in and another ADAT cable going from 828 in to 8 Pre out.

Do I have something set up wrong? Also, how important is it to turn things on in a particular order? Should you boot up the mac, then turn on the interface, then turn on the 8 Pre? Or does it not matter?

Thanks!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Set the 8Pre to "Slave to External Clock" with Optical In as the Clock Source (if there is an option - I don't think there is on the 8Pre) and you should be good to go.
patmccay

Post by patmccay »

Hi HCMarkus, Thanks, but yeah, I've already confirmed the lights on the front of the 8 Pre reflect the correct clock source - Converter light, 44.1 light and Optical In 1x light are all lit green.

And the 44.1 light on the front of the 828 is lit green.

Any other ideas? Am I the only one experiencing this? Makes me think one of my units is faulty which is worrisome... Should I try clocking to the 8 Pre instead? I assumed the clock on the 828 mk3 would be better.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Prior to your last post, it wasn't clear as to how you were clocking the 8Pre, which is an essential part of the digital handshake. I'm glad you understand the importance of proper clocking. If you have it set up correctly and it doesn't work, try clocking the 828 from the 8Pre. Alternate approaches are always a boon when troubleshooting.

As you note, you may have a faulty device. Hopefully you can figure this out.