MOTU 896 Firewire

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jacobjamesbrody
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 896 Firewire

Post by jacobjamesbrody »

Hello,

I've a MOTU 896 Firewire from ~2011. I'm trying to run it (via Firewire to Thunderbolt - using a converter) into my 2015 Macbook Pro.

My Ableton Live is not seeing it. I've downloaded the most recent driver, however, the one on the downloads page specifically for the 896 is broken everytime I go to download it.

They may not even be compatible with this system but I thought I'd check here since I've exhausted most every other resource.

Would love any advice. Thanks!

Jb
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU 896 Firewire

Post by mikehalloran »

Does the Mac see it?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jacobjamesbrody

Hey Mike -

Thank you so much for the response. The Motu is not showing up in my Mac's System Information under Thunerbolt hardware. It also doesn't show up under sound preferences as an available input/output. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks!

Jacob Brody
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If the Mac can't see it, nothing can make it work.

This generally points to a problem with the unit or a cable, adapter etc. Are you using the Apple adapter? Can other FW devices be detected through it?

It can also be the port not responding. Reset your ports to default by resetting the NV RAM.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jacobjamesbrody

mikehalloran wrote:If the Mac can't see it, nothing can make it work.

This generally points to a problem with the unit or a cable, adapter etc. Are you using the Apple adapter? Can other FW devices be detected through it?

It can also be the port not responding. Reset your ports to default by resetting the NV RAM.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
Hey Mike -

Thanks for the response. I've reset the NV RAM as well as tested an external HD (via firewire and the Apple adapter) which worked immediately. However, still no luck seeing the Motu unit anywhere.

Thanks!

Jacob Brody
jacobjamesbrody

I've the answer - in case anyone was curious.

This box doesn't work with a newer Mac unless you downgrade your OS.
The Spanier
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by The Spanier »

Hi, I guess I have the same problem...

I have a ‘2012 896mk3 Hybrid. )I’m still regretting the day y bought it...)

Last week I bought a new Mac book equipped with high sierra. I have downloaded the latest drivers form motu. The computer recognizes the audio interface, it launches the Audio Setup, and it sounds for a few seconds but starts clipping and quits. The Sync Clock in the lcd display keeps blinking.

I’ve tried both FireWire and USB cable, but same results. Any ideas??? Here in Spain there is no way to get any tech support...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Spanier wrote:Hi, I guess I have the same problem...

I have a ‘2012 896mk3 Hybrid. )I’m still regretting the day y bought it...)

Last week I bought a new Mac book equipped with high sierra. I have downloaded the latest drivers form motu. The computer recognizes the audio interface, it launches the Audio Setup, and it sounds for a few seconds but starts clipping and quits. The Sync Clock in the lcd display keeps blinking.

I’ve tried both FireWire and USB cable, but same results. Any ideas??? Here in Spain there is no way to get any tech support...
Read the manual on setting the clock. How will depend on what else you are doing and what you are syncing with (are you syncing the 896 to your computer, the other way around or something else?) as well as the sample rate.

If you're stuck, you have a symptom that is easy to describe. Register your unit at MOTU.com and submit a Tech Link.
The Spanier

Post by The Spanier »

Thank you very much Mike!!

Please excuse my obvious lack of technical knowledge, but actually, I do not want to Sync anything. Te be honest, at this stage i´d be happy if I could just hear my spotify songs from my computer.

The situation is so: My computer (brand new MacBook Pro with latest High Sierra) connected to my MOTU MKIII HYBRID (year 2.012) by USB. Latest MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid drivers installed.

When I start the computer, Motu´s Audio Setup launches and appears with its standard configuration (96000 Sample Rate/Internal Source Clock). Sometimes it works for a few seconds, but it clips and you stop hearing anything at all (although the computer keeps recognizing the interface and therefore not playing anything trough its internal speakers), no matter if I am using USB or FIREWIRE.

Then I switch the MOTU off and start it again, and it happens the same. One of each six times I do so, I am lucky and the equipment keeps working fine. No need to say that if I shftt to 192000, or make any change in the Sample Rate it will fail (the corresponding clock led will start flashing….).

I do not what to try. I´ve read the manual and I do not understand what I am doing wrong. I thought it could be a “drivers” problem due to high sierra…

Could you please help me??
The Spanier

Post by The Spanier »

Update: I don’t know how, bu it started workin. The fact is that I can’t gent any sample rate higher than 44kh. If I switch to 96kh or higher it forces back to 44kh. Any thoughts??
The Spanier

Post by The Spanier »

Update: I have discovered the unit works if the power charger is connected to the thunderbolt port remaining...
The Spanier

Post by The Spanier »

Please... Any ideas about what could be going on???

Thank you very much!
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

Just happened on this page, thought I'd respond if you haven't already figured it out.

896 mk3 Hybrid is a fine unit. If it is working correctly, it should do fine for you.

Sounds like you are set to some external clock source. Your interface should be on internal sync if you are just hooked up to the computer. In Audio-MIDI setup do you see the interface? Can you change sample rates there and have that reflected on the interface? That would verify communication with the interface. I would suggest you use USB connection rather than firewire as it is more current.

Read the manual regarding clock rates as Mike suggested. I'm pretty certain from your description you have something set to an external clock source, either ADAT, Optical, AES, SPDIF or word clock for which there is no signal being supplied.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
The Spanier

Post by The Spanier »

THank you very much for your kind answer.

I haven’t fixed it. Motu audio set up recognizes the unit. Communication between the computer an the unit seems to work fine in both directions. Clock is set to internal. I don’t know what to do... I’ve tried to reset the unit to factory, used different users in my Mac,