1248 Not showing up in Discovery App

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
sebner
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

1248 Not showing up in Discovery App

Post by sebner »

I recently had to upgrade to MacOS High Sierra due to an issue with the Mac Pro. Long story short, I have been able to get everything working except that the 1248 interface will not show up in the discovery app connected via USB. If I connect the 1248 via ethernet to my network and type the IP address it receives from the network, I can see the interface. Connected via USB, playback is through the 1248 and the MAC sees it as a sound input/output device. There is no IP address when connected via USB. I have checked that I have the latest firmware on the 1248, latest software from the MOTU site for the 1248. I suspect that during the upgrades I had to do a fundamental system resource has been disabled. I think I need to completely uninstall the existing AVB software, but there is no way I can see to do that, then reinstall.

I swapped out USB ports and cables to try and jump start the interface being seen via USB to no result. While I can manage, I have tried a recording session s I am in the mixing stage with this particular project. Thoughts?

Scott
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 1248 Not showing up in Discovery App

Post by HCMarkus »

Can't you just keep the interface connected with both USB AND Ethernet?

That's how I have my studio running with an 828es, albeit under Sierra 10.12.6. Works great and Discovery App finds it every time, even from remote devices.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

HCMarkus wrote:Can't you just keep the interface connected with both USB AND Ethernet?
I have never been able to keep a 16A connected to both at the same time, no matter the firmware or Discovery version.

Many times it takes multiple reboots of both computer and interface to get connection.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

EMRR wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Can't you just keep the interface connected with both USB AND Ethernet?
I have never been able to keep a 16A connected to both at the same time, no matter the firmware or Discovery version.

Many times it takes multiple reboots of both computer and interface to get connection.
Are you using USB or Thunderbolt? As noted above, for me, USB and Ethernet coexist happily attached to my 828es.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
sebner
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sebner »

Connected via USB, never had to use ethernet (only to do updates was it ever connected via ethernet. Been using it with no issues until recently as I had to do an update to recover from a serious issue with the OS. I can control it via ethernet, there should be no need to if it connected via USB and working as it has since I bought it. I am concerned there is a system error or driver not loading.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Thunderbolt here.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8