Older MIDI Express and iMac Sierra: Incompatible?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
BrucePhares
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Older MIDI Express and iMac Sierra: Incompatible?

Post by BrucePhares »

Hi all, first posting, please forgive any gaffs...

I'm re-assembling my DAW with a new iMac, using Cubase and Steinberg UR44, plus older MIDI Express.

I've installed and re-installed the MOTU drivers numerous times, but... the front panel green light shows connected to computer, the MIDI channel activity lights (for channels with connections) are flickering and Clockworks does not recognize the MOTU.

It's a pre-internal battery MIDI Express, so that's not a solution. I've seen reference to replacing chips, but that seems like another dead end.

Is it a pre Mac-Classic issue? :deadhorse:

Thanks for any guidance. Happy to boat anchor it, if that's needed. It worked great for years in the past with my Windows system, so no regrets.

Cheers!
mikehalloran

Re: Older MIDI Express and iMac Sierra: Incompatible?

Post by mikehalloran »

Did MOTU ever have a unit called just the MIDI Express? Is that the full name?

If it has a serial interface it can't work.

The older USB units have a battery and must show firmware version on the startup screen 2.0.1 or they won't work. Those with older firmware could only be updated with new chips—MOTU ran out of those over 5 years ago.

The current MIDI Express XT begins with have a serial number starting with ‘MXT’ and have updatable firmware.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cwhiley
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by cwhiley »

I'm looking at purchasing a secondhand older MOTU MIDI Express XT USB. It's the old 2000/2001 era model (NOT the original pre-USB with LPT ports...). It's named the same as the newer product by the same name.

Here is an image of the front panel of the device I'm talking about...

Question is this. Will it be recognized by Win7 x64 Sp1? I was just looking at it compared to the newer one currently sold by Motu and i used ones can be had for $100-$150 whereas the new version is about $350.

I understand the firmware is not updatable on the old one but I don't think this will be any concern to me.

Thanks!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I’m fairly sure that, due to its age, the answer is no. I’ve seen MTP-AV units on eBay for not much more than you want to spend showing the correct 2.0.1 firmware.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cwhiley

Post by cwhiley »

What about these?

apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Hey guys, I have the MIDI Express XT and the driver is showing up in the Audio MIDI setup. I am on Sierra
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
pbs_pbs

Post by pbs_pbs »

Hi apanacci, I just purchased one of these second hand and am having trouble getting my Mac on High Sierra to recognize it. Did you have to do anything special to get it set up?

I tracked down an old article saying the unit would need a ROM update:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120815074 ... -based-mac

Did yours have this update?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The firmware chip needs to be 2.0.1 and the AVUSB chip (if it has one) needs to be 1.32 on these older units or it will be incompatible with Intel Macs and current versions of Windows.

If it doesnt have a splash screen, you'll need to open it up to check the labelling on the chips.

pbs_pbs

Post by pbs_pbs »

Thank you for the reply! The good news is it looks like mine matches and should work.

The bad news is I can't get my Mac to recognize it properly. The reason I was worried about the ROM chip was because it does show up under System Profile -> Hardware -> USB, yet isn't recognized by ClockWorks, the Audio MIDI Setup utility, or Ableton.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Curious, Mike:

I've got two of the old units (MIDI Express XT USB), and they've been fine with my 2012 Cheese Grater (upgraded with Intel Xeons), but I haven't fired them up since the Mavericks days. Neither will accept firmware updates. Looking at HS or Mojave when I resume recording.

Am I understanding you properly when you say they shouldn't work?

When the new desktops drop next year, do you think my interfaces will work?

Thanks in advance, mate.

EDIT:
Upon re-reading your post it looks like it's down to their having the 2.0.1 FW chip. No idea how to determine the version, but I take it that if they work, all will be fine... apart from perhaps the new Macs next year?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In these older units, the firmware is hard coded and cannot be upgraded. If they have the right chip set they should work. Mine is an MTP AV and it does in High Sierra. I’ve not tried it in Mojave and won’t till I get a later iMac (working on that).

It’s tricky. If you see the unit greyed out in Audio MIDI Setup, delete it and the icon should regenerate properly.

I’ve no idea how much longer these can work. I rarely fire up my 5-pin MIDI devices anymore and expect that I will sell it all by next year as I move to VIs only.

My day gig requires that I use a database that now works best in Mojave and no one cares if I’m there or not. Like a shark, I need to keep moving forward.

I’d like to swing an iMac Pro but that’s a lot of “dough for the do-re-mi” (old BMI advert). I may have to settle for a 2015 that I can upgrade. We’ll see...
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I feel I should bring this up also: at least on Windows, the USB has to be USB2 and not USB3 for it to work and not experience MIDI logjams. I had to buy a USB2 hub to interface between my current model MIDI Express XT and the USB3 ports (which was all the computer has - even though some of the ports are "black" and not "blue", in reality, ALL the USB ports went to the same USB3 Host Controller.)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thanks guys.

Guess it'll have to be a case of suck it and see.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here