Weird side chain effect

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
stratblue
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Weird side chain effect

Post by stratblue »

Hi All.

Using the Motu 828 mk3 on OSX10.8.3. I often play guitar over backing tracks, youtube, my stuff etc often though the speakers, sometimes through head phones and I am getting strange changes in volume. It's as if a loud sound is causing the rest of the mix to drop in volume for a while, sometimes it creeps back up. It's not reproducible unfortunately and I have no compression effects on the output bus that I can see. It feels like that voiceover ducking effect DJs use to piss you off over your favourite track. This is a swapout unit I got from a MOTU repair agent a couple of years ago when the new one I bought went wonky. Any ideas where to look?

Nick.
MOTU 828 mk3, genoQs octopus, TR8s, V Synth XT, Novation SuperNova, Akai Z8, BMW M3 V8 & R1200GSA.
HCMarkus

Re: Weird side chain effect

Post by HCMarkus »

Sure sounds like the Leveler doing its thing... maybe a thump or other loud transient resulting in dramatic gain reduction.
stratblue

Re: Weird side chain effect

Post by stratblue »

Hi there.

In Cuemix I have the focus button on the output bus pressed and the dynamics tab selected, neither the compressor or the leveller have their 'power buttons' yellow.......I've checked all inputs, mixes and outputs, a bit weird!
MOTU 828 mk3, genoQs octopus, TR8s, V Synth XT, Novation SuperNova, Akai Z8, BMW M3 V8 & R1200GSA.