MOTU's 2408 MK3 and High Sierra Compatibility

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU's 2408 MK3 and High Sierra Compatibility

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

Well, it looks like some of Apple's programs and their upgrades now require Sierra or better, including Final Cut Pro. I use Final Cut Pro (and Motion, and Compressor) enough to be concerned. My main audio input/output is a pair of MOTU 2408 MK3s. My current computer set-up is noted in my signature. And, to be clear, my current set-up is quite stable under El Capitan. I know that the 2408 MK3s are not listed on MOTU's web-site as working with Sierra or High Sierra. Still, there might be "real-world" examples of users with computers configured similar to mine that have successfully upgraded to High Sierra and still be able to use their 2408 MK3 devices. So. . . is there a possibility that they still work with High Sierra as my operating system???

Thank you ahead of time for your time and thoughtful input.

Kind Regards,

Ted

Edited to Add:

I'm unable to find information on the internet that confirms MOTU's 2408MK3 compatibility or incompatibility with High Sierra. Unless someone here upgraded their (now-aging) Mac Pro with a 2408 MK3 to High Sierra, and share their experience about the upgrade, it seems that this compatibility issue will remain a mystery to me. MOTU's web-site gives no information one way or another. Actually, the 2408 MK3 is now a legacy device. So it's probably safe to assume that it's not compatible, or won't be compatible as Apple rolls out future Operating Systems and their upgrades. So, it seems that I will have to be happy with having my aging yet stable Mac Pro remain with El Capitan if I want to continue using these 2408 MK3 devices. This is probably OK since I'm currently not using any of the newer features that the latest version of Final Cut Pro offers.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4, 1 Internal SSD, 7 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
quietsounds
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MOTU's 2408 MK3 and High Sierra Compatibility

Post by quietsounds »

In the same boat here. I would love to go to High Sierra as all reports show software/plugins are stable but have a worry about the 2408's compatibility.

Perhaps since 9.51 has just dropped they might confirm a 10.13 compatibility as all works just fine here on 10.12.

Otherwise let's hope for a brave sole. :D

-------------------

Mac Pro 2.66 12-Core (Mid 2010) macOs 10.12.6, 48 Gig Ram, 1 x 2408mk3, 1 x 2408, 1 x MIDI Express Xt
dix

Post by dix »

Yet another good question to be answered before upgrading to HS.

I’m going to NAMM tomorrow. I’ll ask about 2408mk3 compatibility if I can. Is the 424 confirmed to be compatible with High Sierra?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
quietsounds
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by quietsounds »

Just got this from MOTU. Good news.

Hi Tomás,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. The most v.1.6.73220 of the MOTU Audio Installer is compatible with macOS High Sierra - if you are installing it for the first time, you may need to manually allow it in your System Preferences, and you can see more information about this process here:

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/e ... igh-sierra

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,
MOTU Tech Support
dix

Post by dix »

Oh, great! Thanks for following up quietsounds.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Follow-Up

After doing an extensive back-up of my "Macintosh HD" (SSD) drive with El Capitan, I finally upgraded to High Sierra (version 10.13.6). It seems that all software programs and hardware are functioning as intended. This includes my two MOTU's 2408 MK3 audio devices and its DP9.52 program. I'm certainly quite pleased with this. (See below for details.)

:)
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4, 1 Internal SSD, 7 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.