MIDI device gets duplicated in Audio-MIDI setup SOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI device gets duplicated in Audio-MIDI setup SOLVED

Post by philbrown »

This is a really old issue I've run into again. I've been using USB connections on all my gear but decided to dust off my MIDI Time Piece AV to hook up a non-USB device. The MIDI interface gets created in the MIDI window of Audio-MIDI setup in OS X. Everything's fine and works fine. The next day on restart the MTPAV is grayed out and now a new one- MTPAV #2 is active, so whatever I programmed yesterday to aim at the MTP now no longer works. I remember running into this a lot when I was using MIDI more. I was surprised to see this still cropping up as an issue. I had updated MIDI drivers about a year ago when I went to Sierra and updated again this morning after I ran into this. There's a chance that may fix it but I'm skeptical since it's such a long standing issue.

Has anyone found a solution to this or a cause of it?
Last edited by philbrown on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Re: MIDI device gets duplicated in Audio-MIDI setup

Post by bayswater »

I had this happen until I stopped using MOTU MIDI devices. But it didn't actually stop anything from working. Haven't seen it with other devices.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
RROY

Post by RROY »

Changing the battery in my MTP-AV stopped the duplication thing happening for me.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

RROY wrote:Changing the battery in my MTP-AV stopped the duplication thing happening for me.
Yep. Me too.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:
RROY wrote:Changing the battery in my MTP-AV stopped the duplication thing happening for me.
Yep. Me too.
I changed the battery a few years ago. Maybe its time again. Thanks everyone.

EDIT: 2 screws - that was easy. The battery had a bit of a bulge to it, so that was likely the problem.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Same thing the next day after updating MIDI drivers and putting in a new battery.

EDIT: I'm not holding my breath on this ancient bug, but I put a Techlink in anyway.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I seem to recall from a MOTU phone call on the matter (i.e. - me too) that the "trick" is the order things are shut down. I think it was a matter of powering down the device and any MIDI routers before quitting DP. Maybe the reverse but I think it's as stated above. Hope that helps. If I can find my only thread from years ago I'll post it here.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I seem to recall from a MOTU phone call on the matter (i.e. - me too) that the "trick" is the order things are shut down. I think it was a matter of powering down the device and any MIDI routers before quitting DP. Maybe the reverse but I think it's as stated above. Hope that helps. If I can find my only thread from years ago I'll post it here.
Thanks. If you remembered maybe someone at MOTU will know the specifics. I have 2 other interfaces to try in the meantime, a Fastlane and a Micro-something - don't remember the exact name. Can't believe the Fastlane is still in production. I've had that thing for many many years.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I did find a thread with a similar problem. Bundles!

viewtopic.php?p=221671#p221671
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I did find a thread with a similar problem. Bundles!

viewtopic.php?p=221671#p221671
Thanks for looking that up MLC. I've never imported bundles in DP, but more importantly I wasn't even using DP when this happened - I was using another pgm called Numerology with my modular synth. Tech support thinks it's the battery even though I just put a brand new battery in it. They gave me some steps to try.

I'm going to try my ancient Fastlane interface and see what happens and I also have a Microlite.

philbrown

Re: MIDI device gets duplicated in Audio-MIDI setup SOLVED

Post by philbrown »

MOTU tech support suggested that I create a new configuration in the AMS MIDI window. I'd forgotten you can even do that (It's a pull-down at the top of the window). After several restarts that seems to have solved the issue.
:woohoo: