Serious issues with Motu Ultralite mk4 on Mac

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
HorstBlond
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Serious issues with Motu Ultralite mk4 on Mac

Post by HorstBlond »

Hello

I bought an Ultralite mk4 beginning of the year and I cannot get it to work stable on my Mac (MBP late 2013) with high sierra.

Basically, it works well in standalone mode, ie, with my piano connected, without the computer involved.

However, I cannot get a stable operation with the Mac. Sometimes the motu is recognized, works for few min, but I get weird noises or the mac claims that the devices is not connected any longer after a few tasks on my computer (e.g. starting the native maschine software or ableton)

My setup:
- Ultralite mk4 with the latest drivers (says the mac)
- Nord piano (3) connected via MIDI and stereo audio
- pair of active speakers connected to ultralite, sometimes headphones, too
- MBP late 2013 with high sierra, all updates installed via app store/update feature - connected via usb
- occasionally a Native Maschine mk2 is connected
- occasionally I use a Plubable USB hub

I changed all used cables already, connected the device via all usb plugs possible.

The behavior remains the same: always up in standalone mode (just piano connected). On the Mac (the little symbol in the head bar) the device is almost never recognized. Sometimes, after few restarts I get a connection and, in the simplest way, can listen to audio (eg a spotify stream), but whenever I start any audio software (native instr. or ableton) the device would disappear within 5 min maximum.

What can I do....?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Serious issues with Motu Ultralite mk4 on Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

What happens when you bypass the hub?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HorstBlond

Post by HorstBlond »

same behavior :-(
I tried all options, the "left" and the "right" USB port on the MBP, direct cable from ultralite to MBP as well as via the (powered) hub.

And, apologies, I might be in the wrong sub forum here - this is without DP. I only used the Audio Installer and I am refering to the Discovery application with the icon in the upper bar on the mac os desktop (sorry, not sure how it's called; the thing next to the clock, battery icon, etc)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I saw this in the 10.13.2 download notes.
The macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Update improves the security, stability, and compatibility of your Mac and is recommended for all users.

This update:

Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HorstBlond wrote:And, apologies, I might be in the wrong sub forum here - this is without DP.
You're right... it does belong in the MOTU Hardware forum. I've moved it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HorstBlond

Post by HorstBlond »

Hi, thanks.
I have re-installed 10.13.2 and that made a change. It did not fully fix it though... A little weird that the re-install brought a change, but okay.
It seems that the ultralite is now detected more frequently, but still not consistently. After any restart of the computer the motu is there now - but still disppears when I start working. e.g. in cooperation with my Native software and Machine mk2 I still cannot get a stable connection.

I really feel a bit naiv with my purchases. I though I have a standard computer and a standard audio/MIDI device, both of good quality, no cheap trash - still I spend so much time to get the basic functionality to work... puh...
HorstBlond

UPDATE - RESOLVED- Serious issues with Motu Ultralite mk4 on

Post by HorstBlond »

Update - I guess it is resolved now.

What did I do? I also contacted the motu support and they sent me some instructions on re-installation of drivers. I think at the end what did the trick was a manual de-installation of all motu drivers from my mac os and then a fresh re-install.
(I also changed a usb cable, because I had the feeling that I could reproduce drops by touching the plug, but at the end I believe that was not the reason - the suspicious cable is back in my setup (not from motu to hub any longer, but now from hub to computer) and no drop outs anymore)

Are the motu instructions on how to "debug" and de-install drivers known to this forum? I can post them here if desired.