Weird noise feedback when closing DP3 songs with 2408

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
part12studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Weird noise feedback when closing DP3 songs with 2408

Post by part12studios »

Hi there,

I have my trusty 450mhz G4 sawtooth Mac running DP3 using MTP AVx2 (networked) and MIDI Express USB. All of my audio is running through my 2408 Mk1 that goes into the PCI card in the G4. Everything works fine overall. Some things I still have to figure out (like how to hear audio through the 2408 without actually having to record, but that's for another day..

What I am experiencing is this.. I'm working on a song. doing things. no problems.. but when i close a song (not quit the app) i can hear this quick but quiet clicking sound.. ti ti ti ti ti... until i load another song and then it goes away..

Other times, when I quit the app it makes a really loud NANANANANANANAN type of sound.. If I recall correctly the loud mode happens when i exit the whole program and once this happens nothing turns it off except turning of the device.. and it's scary because it's loud and if my mixer is turned up.. hard on the monitors..

So I was just wondering if anyone has come across something like this before.

Thanks,
Caleb
mikehalloran

Re: Weird noise feedback when closing DP3 songs with 2408

Post by mikehalloran »

Whoa... you're describing my setup from ... what ...15–17 years ago? Except that I was using my Beige G3. I still have my 2408 and 324 card and two G4s.

Anyway... I'm guessing that there's a loss of sync and you are having a clock issue. Per the manual:

Choosing a digital audio clock master
When you transfer digital audio between two
devices, their audio clocks must be in phase with
one another — or phase-locked. Otherwise, you’ll
hear clicks, pops, and distortion in the audio — or
perhaps no audio at all.

Although only the 2408mk3 manual is online, most of it applies. CueMix is available only to the PCI-424, not the PCI-324 if that's what you have. It's easy to search by hitting Control F and typing in your search terms (clock is where I'd start) and hitting the up/down arrows till you hit the page you need.

http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/pci-au ... de_Mac.pdf
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

awesome thanks! i'll check into that. I've never selected a digital clock so i'll see what i might be able to do to fix it!

and yes i have the 324... on a side note, do you know if there is a way to hear audio passing through the 2408 when it's not in record mode? i can hear real time audio going through it when in record mode, but when in just play mode no audio can be heard.

Thanks,
Caleb
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

part12studios wrote:awesome thanks! i'll check into that. I've never selected a digital clock so i'll see what i might be able to do to fix it!

and yes i have the 324... on a side note, do you know if there is a way to hear audio passing through the 2408 when it's not in record mode? i can hear real time audio going through it when in record mode, but when in just play mode no audio can be heard.

Thanks,
Caleb
Same manual, use the search term, Monitor or Input Monitor till you find the page that applies.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
part12studios

Post by part12studios »

So i checked my settings and as far as i can tell the clock option is set to the 324 card.. is that not what i should select? i know there are some 2408 options but it seems like the 324 card would be the right thing to select since that's more "the computer" than the whatever is going on inside the 2408..

Also about that, yes I'll check that manual it might have some ideas. I get some slight lag when i record in and hear the output which seems perfectly reasonable.