Logic Pro X and 828 mk3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gfitzjohn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Logic Pro X and 828 mk3

Post by gfitzjohn »

Hi all, I'm new to the website...

I've used my MOTU 828 mk3 with logic 8 for years and had no issues using the MOTU audio setup to toggle between headphones and monitor mixes using the Main Out Assign (main out 1-2 and analogue 1-2). I've finally bought a new MacBook and upgraded to Logic Pro X and now this function doesn't work.

I have sound and everything is working as it should except I'm not getting any signal to my headphone amp.

Main Outs of my MOTU are going to the monitors and then outs 1-2 going to the headphone amp. Surely this should work when I Main Out Assign: Analogue 1-2? It always has done and nothing has changed at that end so I guess it must be something within Logic?

Hope that makes sense, let me know if I can provide any more info.

Many thanks
bayswater

Re: Logic Pro X and 828 mk3

Post by bayswater »

I used the 828-3 with Logic 8, 9 and X, and don't recall this happening to me. I replaced it a while back, but one thing I recall might have something to do with your problem: Logic always assumes physical outputs 1 and 2 are the main outs for any audio interface (labelled in Logic permanently as Stereo Out). But the Main Outs in the 828 are physical outputs 9 and 10. In Logic 8 and 9, again, if I recall correctly, there was no labelling inside Logic 8 and 9 to show this. In Logic X, there is access to the channel labels published by the CoreAudio drivers, which makes it easier to deal with.

Also, just to ask the obvious, did you install the latest driver for the 828?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gfitzjohn

Post by gfitzjohn »

Thanks, really appreciate the reply.

Yes I downloaded the latest drivers when I got the new computer a couple of days ago.

I've tried every combination for line secondary outs going to the headphone amp (1-2, 3-4,etc) and tried every different option for the main out assign in MOTU audio setup in conjunction with them but still no sound (or signal) going to headphone amp at all.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Do you see all the inputs and outputs of the 828 in Mix>I/O Labels under the "Provided by Driver" column? If that includes the physical outs you want and your channel assignments match?

Sorry I can't comment any more. Don't have my 828 set up. You might have better luck finding an answer here. https://logic-users-group.com/forums/
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8